64 bit Technical Question for Rim

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Anthony Alves
Expert

64 bit Technical Question for Rim

Post by Anthony Alves » Sun May 11, 2014 9:45 am

Hi Rim, hope your having a great day. My question is about 64 bit support for the 64 bit A7 on iPad Air. I am receiving several updates from other iOS daws that are now supporting 64 bit and higher quality audio recording. I once heard here on our forum that Auria was 64 bit from the ground up. However the 64 bit mixer option has always been there even before the 64 bit A7 and how does a 32 bit device use a 64 bit mixer? So here is my question, Is Auria currently running in full 64 bit mode taking full advantage of the new A7 processor? I don't see in any of Auria's updates any mention of 64 bit support. Could you tell us if iPad Air users are getting more out of Auria than say someone with an iPad 4. Is Auria taking advantage of the 64 bit chip and if so how?
And if it's not, what will be the benefits when Auria takes advantage of the 64 bit A7. I am only asking this because the other apps that are updating to 64bit support are claiming higher quality audio with neon optimization. Cheers and thanks.
~~_/)~~~*

Using an iPad Air 32

Rim
Site Admin

Re: 64 bit Technical Question for Rim

Post by Rim » Sun May 11, 2014 11:29 am

There are two different concepts here: processing 64 bit audio and running 64 bit code.

Any processor can do 64 bit audio processing (even 8-bit processors from 1980 :) ). In this case, the only advantage that a true 64-bit CPU offers is speed. Auria had always offered 64-bit audio processing, and running Auria on an iPad Air vs an older processor makes no difference in audio quality. The only difference you'll see is in CPU usage. A 64 bit CPU like the one in the Air will run 64 bit mode a lot faster than an earlier iPad.

The second concept is an app running 64 bit code. A 64 bit processor (with a 64 bit operating system) allows developers to compile their apps as 64 bit code. The main advantage to doing so is the ability to access more than 4GB of RAM. But 64 bit code also has it's disadvantages. It often uses more memory to do the same tasks. Auria does 64 bit audio processing, like it always has, but isn't compiled as a 64 bit app. Because no iPads have over 4GB of RAM, we see no need to, since it would provide no benefit right now, and would only increase memory usage.

Rim

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Mon May 12, 2014 12:16 am

Thanks Rim for that lovely in depth answer. That tells me all I needed to know. Thanks again. Cheers ~~_/)~~~*

ChrisG
Expert

Post by ChrisG » Mon May 12, 2014 5:07 pm

I just wanna chime in on two things here...

First,
Rim wrote:Auria does 64 bit audio processing, like it always has, but isn't compiled as a 64 bit app. Because no iPads have over 4GB of RAM, we see no need to, since it would provide no benefit right now, and would only increase memory usage.

Rim
Thank you! Thank you for not jumping on this 64bit craziness that's going on now on these 1GB RAM 64 bit devices. Having my main DAW on iOS using less RAM then a 64bit compiled version allows me to use this, for me really really expensive, 128gb iPad Air a few years longer! :)

Secondly,
Anthony Alves wrote:~~_/)~~~*
This. I've always thought that was supposed to be a shark. But it finally dawned upon me that's it's obviously the AIR Studio boat! Lol, I know. Talk about slow eh? :lol:

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Tue May 13, 2014 4:08 am

ChrisG wrote:
Anthony Alves wrote:~~_/)~~~*
This. I've always thought that was supposed to be a shark. But it finally dawned upon me that's it's obviously the AIR Studio boat! Lol, I know. Talk about slow eh? :lol:
Well I must be at a snail's pace then 'cos I can't even see a boat! :oops: :lol:

ChrisG
Expert

Post by ChrisG » Tue May 13, 2014 7:31 am

Hm well could be something else. But it do kinda look like a sinking sail boat to me, lol.