ZOOM H6 as audio interface for Auria iPad Air app.

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

viandiep1

ZOOM H6 as audio interface for Auria iPad Air app.

Post by viandiep1 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:01 pm

Hello everyone I am new to the world of Auria
I have regreted purchasing this app but I am willing to give it a shot since I have the amazing ZOOM H6 I guess I'll make use of the Auria app on the road, even though my MacBook Pro is sufficient, what ever.

Please someone offer me a youtube video tutorial or photo stream (screen shot) walk through on how to exactly select the ZOOM H6 as the audio interface once everything is plugged in?

There isn't anything out there about how to set up an audio device with Auria, anything out there just JUMPS right into the production leaving me going uhhhh duuhhhhh *drool* what ... to.... do..... with device - how? Do? I? Select it? Where does it show up in the app? uhhhhhh duuuhhh... *faint*.

Forgive my newbie noobings.

It is NOT at all intuitive and the settings pannel is not easy to navigate what so ever.

Thanks for any help to shed light on this matter for me, I'd like to get my moneys worth so please help.

Washboy
Expert

Re: ZOOM H6 as audio interface for Auria iPad Air app.

Post by Washboy » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:42 pm

I did a quick google of "zoom h6 Auria" for you and came up with this:

http://auriaapp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=11151

Good luck.

viandiep1

Post by viandiep1 » Wed May 07, 2014 4:38 pm

Washboy wrote:I did a quick google of "zoom h6 Auria" for you and came up with this:

http://auriaapp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=11151

Good luck.

----------------
Thank you.

So.............. I guess I can't use simultaneous multi-track, multi-instrumental recording with my Zoom with this app huh?

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Thu May 08, 2014 5:31 am

Its a pity that nobody else has responded. It appears there are H6+Auria users on here who are successfully multi-tracking with that combo (use this forum's search facility to find them). Unfortunately, they don't say how to do it, just that it works.

Despite your undisguised negativity towards Auria, your difficulties are likely to be similar using any iOS DAW. Auria will accommodate a Class-compliant audio interface as well as any other iOS DAW, if not better.

Have you looked at Auria's "Input Matrix"? That's where you assign inputs to tracks. Please take the time to read chapter #2 of Aura's User Guide (pg.29 onward). Also check out the transcript of the "Using external audio recording hardware" and other lessons in the "Recording" section here: http://www.lynda.com/Auria-tutorials/Us ... 855-4.html. There are some free video lessons there too :)

If you're still stumped, after digesting that, come back here and tell us (with details) what you've tried. Don't forget that there's probably configuration necessary on the H6 side if things too.

Good luck :)

EDIT: P.S. Read this: http://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/art ... interface/. Note that it says "..if you are connecting to an iPad, only Stereo Mix mode will work...". That contradicts what other users have said (see above) so it's worth setting the H6 for Multi-track Mode, instead of Stereo Mix mode, and see what happens.

viandiep1

Post by viandiep1 » Fri May 09, 2014 8:50 am

Thank you I appreciate this very much.

All my research has only lead to people making videos of their projects, not so much as step by step as that is much more essential to me than their projects.

If in fact iOS DAWs are advertising mutli-tracking but not "simultaneous multi-tracking" on devices which have this feature, including the ZOOM H6. Then there should be comprehensive free videos out there to give clear tutorials. When I finally figure out how to do this I will contribute a comprehensive tutorial video of my own.

The settings and parameters within the H6 are all set for audio interface / multi-track mode. When I am near my system again I will take a screen shot of AURIA's settings screen.

I will try all the above suggested advice thanks again..

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Sat May 10, 2014 10:26 am

Hi there, I have researched this extensively and it would appear that when the H6 is connected to an iPad in only works in the 2 in 2 out mode. The multichannel out is not supported by their iOs core audio intergration. The problem is with the Zoom and not Auria. Auria has the best input and output control than any other iOS daw and it's very easy to understand and that set-up we can certainly help you with. The H6 is an amazing product but it does lack multi out in iOS and Zoom must have been aware of this upon releasing the H6. So have you had any good results recording into Auria with the Zoom not set to multichannel mode? If so than you are seeing the best H6 has to offer in iOS recording at the present time and they could change this in the future with possible updates or model revisions but for now you are stuck to 2 in 2 out.
Let us know your progress. Cheers.
~~_/)~~~.

paradox148

Post by paradox148 » Fri May 23, 2014 5:22 am

Hi, are you sure you are unable to use the 6 IN recording on your iPad? There has been another post with multiple users being successful:
http://auriaapp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=10790

I am just itching to make the purchase myself for simultaneous recording on my new iPad mni so I am eager to confirm one way or the other.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Tue May 27, 2014 9:59 am

Hi everyone. Could a Zoom H6 user please confirm that you can record 6 channels of audio into Auria. A snapshot of the input matrix would help here to confirm that Auria sees all 6 inputs so we can help our friend here make a purchase decision. My research has proven different on iOS but there seems to be the possibility that this works as a 6 in 2 out. Cheers and thanks for your help.

fegiag

Post by fegiag » Sat May 31, 2014 6:18 pm

Hi All!

Have been using the H6 as interface with iPad3 successfully (6 in 2 out) running 5 mics. One problem occurs that causes a time limitation to a recording session which is the iPad derives it power during interface connection from the H6 and the iPad will only recognize the power of the H6 in my case 2700 mH NiMh batteries. I can recharge or switch out batteries after a 4 hour max usage period. This is perhaps why Zoom has only mentioned the 2 channel capability in the H6 manual?
Have tried alternate USB LiON chargers utilizing a split Y USB charging cable meant for outboard hard drives, still the iPad rejects this power source with a cryptic message. Perhaps this can be addressed by Zoom in a subsequent firmware update?

The one anomaly I've experienced only since the last two updates of Auria has been the need to have a dummy session pre-loaded when I connect to the iPad/Auria which shows the signals muted and meters saturated (buried). I then load my real session and the signals are hot and meters returned to active normal operation.

My two cents.
feg

Swamijazz

Post by Swamijazz » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:35 am

Hello!
Is there anything new to report about the H6?
It's been a while since the last post...
Thanx!

Auratech
Expert

Post by Auratech » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:23 pm

Latest Auria, ZoomH6 (sysV2) iPad Air2 8.2.
Multichannel recording all 6ch 16-24bit/44.1-48-96khz is fine.
(Rarely the cpu loads up high because of the free ram's fragmentation? Not sure.)
I prepare so my work with Auria:
- Set Airplane mode on and warm restart
- Ram defragmenting (..Battery Doctor app) and start Auria right on.
Mostly without mistakes.
My rover Studio: iPad Air2-64Gb, Auria, Zoom H6, 2xRode Nt1, 2x Rode Nt55,
DT-770PRO, XMS-disc-(Jecklin), Ruinvo-panasonic USB Power pack,
Home: Rebuilt BEAG Hec45 Active Studio Monitors, i7-PC-Samplitude, IK-Multimedia ARC-2