Spdif workaround for unsupported interfaces?

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Deanster

Spdif workaround for unsupported interfaces?

Post by Deanster » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:35 pm

I am a new iPad user, considering Auria. I have a motu 828 mkii FireWire that I have been happy with on my Mac mini with logic 9. My question is, rather than replacing the 828 mkii, could I pick up a cheaper supported adapter that has spdif in, like the (lexicon omega), use my 828 as a converter and connect the spdif to the iPad via omega spdif in? That would let me record 2 channels through the 828 with a digital pass through the omega - correct?

Does anyone know a reason why this wouldn't work or what the downsides would be? Otherwise, I'm looking at the focusrite Scarlett 6i6 or 18i8.

Thanks.

Dean

dominicperry
Expert

Re: Spdif workaround for unsupported interfaces?

Post by dominicperry » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:48 pm

The only thing I can think which might be a problem is which device would slave to which - with S/PDIF you need a master and a slave. Not every interface will allow itself to be slave, and it may be that the interface connected to the iPad (the Omega) would have to be the master.
Other than that, theoretically, it will work, as long as the 828ii can run in 'standalone' mode - in other words, it doesn't have to be connected to a computer for it to take mic or line in, and output to the S/PDIF.

You will be limited to 44.1 or 48KHz, but that shouldn't matter.

Also, remember that the Omega won't let you charge the iPad whilst it is connected. Only MFi interfaces will let you do that, and I don't think any MFi interface has S/PDIF.

Dominic

Katherine_Focusrite
Expert

Re: Spdif workaround for unsupported interfaces?

Post by Katherine_Focusrite » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:16 pm

You can certainly set the Scarlett to sync to the SPDIF coming to it from an external unit while connected to the iPad.

You need to make sure that when you set up the Scarlett in MixControl on your computer you have Sync Source set to SPDIF and are getting a Lock.

Once you Save that to Hardware it should stay on SPDIF. If you are unsure if it is synced to SPDIF or Internal just remove the cable or change Sample Rates on the Motu. You should see it unlock and lock on the light.

Please let me know if I can help you further.
Katherine Kaplan // Focusrite Technical Support

http://www.focusrite.com/answerbase/en/