Punching in on the fly

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Duckmandu
Expert

Re: Punching in on the fly

Post by Duckmandu » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:43 am

Yes, I too like to punch in, preferably with a foot switch. I also use auto punch, in depends on the circumstances. I like to manually punch in especially when I'm improvising and don't know in advance when I will be recording. I also like it for when I'm harmonizing vocal parts and have a compressor on the input. That way i can "pre-trigger" the compressor before I punch in for the vocal and punch out before the compressor makes a woosh as the levels come back up. This saves lots of time, because I'm basically editing as I record.

- Aa (Duck)

Rimshot51

Post by Rimshot51 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:03 pm

I am very new to this forum but not to recording. Manual punch in is critical when recording a client because it is so fast and efficient to just punch in/out on the fly without having to set ranges first.
On my PC, I use Studio One with a Presonus FaderPort. It lets me punch in/out with a footswitch which really helps when I am playing guitars.

So I agree that have a manual punch in/out tool would be very helpful as well as someday having a footswitch. Maybe there would be a way to use the sustain pedal on your keyboard as the punch in/out trigger.
Rimshot51

Auria, Drumagog, Studio One 2.6, Sonar Producer X3, Cubasis, Cubase AI, GarageBand, Notion, Zoom R24, UR-44, Axiom 64, WIndows 7 64, Equator D5's, NanoPatch, Alesis MICTUBE Duo, Behringer B1, Shure SM57, and Rhodes M5's mics.

Phil999
Expert

Post by Phil999 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:25 pm

a MIDI signal from an attached keyboard (with attached pedal) would be a good solution. When Auria will have MIDI recording, that shouldn't be too difficult to implement I guess. An additional setup menu entry to select the MIDI CC for punch in/out, or a selector for the sustain pedal (CC 64) for either punch in/out or sustain.

Meanwhile, I think it's quite usable to record from the start, or from pre-defined punch in/out points, and delete the unused audio after recording. Together with the undo button and the 4 marker points this method is not bad.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:48 pm

I'll try to implement this in a future version. Good idea.

Thanks,
Rim

thejedimaster

Post by thejedimaster » Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:19 pm

punching in on the fly is an essential key tool for producing records. I understand it will need more coding - its more difficult blah blah blah - it dosnt matter - without being able to punch in the artistic integrity of the recording is lower.
Thats exactly how I work with an artist to get a performance - first time I've tried it and its really stupid that this software doesnt have it. WILL PRO VERSION HAVE IT?!?!?! I am approved beta tester for pro. As soon as I submit my paperwork that is the first flaw I am going to point out. Its a HUGE flaw guys!!

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:12 pm

:roll:

Okay, so, welcome to the forums master Jedi. Nice first post.
Marty Schulte [I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
iPad AIR(128), Akai EIE, Akai EWI USB, illudium q-36 explosive space modulator
Head First Audio (live sound for Southern Oregon, USA)

Tourniquet
Expert

Post by Tourniquet » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:31 pm

I really like the way the punch in works now. I can get what I want accomplished. Punching in on the fly, sure I'd try it if it was implemented. Not sure what it is exactly, other than you don't set locators, and just "do it"? Cool.....

Morgan
Expert

Post by Morgan » Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:22 am

Auto Punch in is by far the most accurate method of inserting corrective or new recording sections into a track and doesn't have the 'hit and miss' approach of a manual punch in. The process to some degree is a relic of the past as the modern DAW's have so many recordable tracks available there are numerous alternative methods of dropping sections into a track on the fly. If it's something RIM can do in the future then I'm sure some users will find it useful.

By the way 'the-Jedi-master of bad manners', RIM responds to thoughtful, polite and courteous requests for new features and doesn't need 'SHOUTING AT' and doesn't need 'blah blah blah' sarcasm or insults to motivate him. If I have interpreted your post correctly and you are an approved beta tester for AURIA PRO then your brief should be to expedite testing of Auria Pro in its current version. Manual 'PUNCH IN' is a feature that Auria doesn't currently support. It is not a FLAW. Anyone privileged to be on the Beta team should be concentrating on the it's current functionality and not wasting time looking at possible enhancements that can wait until PRO has been released. If I have misread your post I apologise.

Strizbiz
Expert

Post by Strizbiz » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:31 pm

Morgan wrote:Auto Punch in is by far the most accurate method of inserting corrective or new recording sections into a track and doesn't have the 'hit and miss' approach of a manual punch in. The process to some degree is a relic of the past as the modern DAW's have so many recordable tracks available there are numerous alternative methods of dropping sections into a track on the fly. If it's something RIM can do in the future then I'm sure some users will find it useful.

By the way 'the-Jedi-master of bad manners', RIM responds to thoughtful, polite and courteous requests for new features and doesn't need 'SHOUTING AT' and doesn't need 'blah blah blah' sarcasm or insults to motivate him. If I have interpreted your post correctly and you are an approved beta tester for AURIA PRO then your brief should be to expedite testing of Auria Pro in its current version. Manual 'PUNCH IN' is a feature that Auria doesn't currently support. It is not a FLAW. Anyone privileged to be on the Beta team should be concentrating on the it's current functionality and not wasting time looking at possible enhancements that can wait until PRO has been released. If I have misread your post I apologise.

Punching in on the fly is hardly a "relic", and I challenge you to name any other DAW that doesnt let you punch in on the fly. Everyone has different needs and while you may not see punching in on the fly as relevant, at times you can miss that perfect take by stopping the track, setting in and out points, especially if youre working with others. I dont know if you use other DAWs besides Auria, but every other IOS DAW Ive used, lets you do both auto and manual punch. Every desktop DAW I use, from Logic Pro, ProTools, Digital Performer, Ableton, FL Studio, Studio One, all have auto and manual punch in. Auria is the only DAW that doesnt have both that I know of. Sometimes its not about that perfect punch in, sometimes its just about spontaneity.
IPad Air 2 128 gb Apogee Duet Ipad/Mac

Morgan
Expert

Post by Morgan » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:32 am

Thanks "strizbiz" for your polite response. I don't disagree with your thoughts on "manual punch in" and yes there are times when it is convenient to use. My reference to manual punch-in as being "a relic of the past " was a little harsh on a feature that has served us well for many years and will continue to do so, but I was simply trying to get across to "thejedimaster" that the lack of this feature on Auria, at this time, was not a major flaw (as he put it) but simply a missing feature that RIM could facilitate at a future date. With so many recordable tracks available on the current breed of DAW's there are other ways of achieving spontaneous recordings with open recording tracks and merge and cut and paste methods etc. I'm sure RIM will add the feature at sometime as part of the MIDI implementation. Take care.

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:57 am

Not trying to argue with anyone about manual punch, but can anyone tell me what iOS DAWs have this feature?
Marty Schulte [I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
iPad AIR(128), Akai EIE, Akai EWI USB, illudium q-36 explosive space modulator
Head First Audio (live sound for Southern Oregon, USA)

Cattrax

Post by Cattrax » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:48 pm

I know this is an old thread, but manual punch in/out would be an incredible addition to Auria. Sometimes it's not about punching on a specific beat, but punching within a musical phrase that may have different nuances each time it is sung/played. To be able to work in real time with the artist makes for a much more musical recording. I agree with an earlier post, that the energy of the performance can be lost when stopping to set in and out points. Please consider adding this feature! Thanks!

joe12stories
Expert

Post by joe12stories » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:33 pm

Phil999 wrote:a MIDI signal from an attached keyboard (with attached pedal) would be a good solution. When Auria will have MIDI recording, that shouldn't be too difficult to implement I guess. An additional setup menu entry to select the MIDI CC for punch in/out, or a selector for the sustain pedal (CC 64) for either punch in/out or sustain.

Meanwhile, I think it's quite usable to record from the start, or from pre-defined punch in/out points, and delete the unused audio after recording. Together with the undo button and the 4 marker points this method is not bad.
Thank you, Phil999! I never even thought of recording from the start and just deleting the unused audio after recording. I'm not sure if this is what you meant, but I record on a track, then re-record on the same track (on top of the previous take, not on a new track), then I can just slice away the bad stuff on the last take and have the previous take underneath it (and the previous take under that one, and so forth), using different takes in place of a new "punch-in". (Is that what you meant? If so, thank you! If not, thanks for inadvertently giving me a new technique!)

Rim, the thing with setting auto-punch points in the middle of recording is that it totally disrupts the momentum, particularly for us solo musicians positioned in place with our hands on the instruments. I know it sounds trivial, but it's not. It would be so much easier to just tap earlier in the song (one click) and use a foot pedal to punch in from there so you don't have to set an end point (a second click or drag) and then select auto-punch (2 more clicks) then select a point before the punch-in (a fifth click). 5 clicks instead of 1 is an eternity when you have to take your hands of the instrument while you're recording.

Strizbiz
Expert

Post by Strizbiz » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:04 pm

"Rim, the thing with setting auto-punch points in the middle of recording is that it totally disrupts the momentum, particularly for us solo musicians positioned in place with our hands on the instruments. I know it sounds trivial, but it's not."

EXACTLY!!!!!! lol, I know at the end of the day, if manually punching in isnt part of someones workflow, they probably wont get how useful it might be to someone who uses it a lot is, and to me, this is the one and only flaw Auria has, and the only reason I still use Cubasis about 70% of the time. While Cubasis lacks a LOT of things Auria does, at the end of the day there is just a lot less of having to stop things, I can jump around from midi instrument tracks while the song is still going, punch in and out and over all its just a lot faster in many ways. In fact, I use Logic Pro X when I'm on my MacBook Pro and I rarely use auto punch in Logic.
IPad Air 2 128 gb Apogee Duet Ipad/Mac