Recording from Focusrite Scarlett 18i20

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

harpman
Expert

Recording from Focusrite Scarlett 18i20

Post by harpman » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:43 pm

I have 2 - Focusrite 18i20's connected to each other via ADAT to give me a full 16 channels. Work great when my PC laptop is connected and using Cakewalk Sonar X3 as my recording DAW. My goal is to use the 2 - Focusrite 18i20's as my recording source and record to the Auria DAW (multitrack). both the Ipad Air and Focusrite (Primary) are plugged into a USB hub. Any ideas?
Musically Yours,

Giovanni Stefani
Sound Engineer / Harmonica
Stefani Entertainment

Washboy
Expert

Re: Recording from Focusrite Scarlett 18i20

Post by Washboy » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:29 pm

@harpman: Your post doesn't say whether or not you're having difficulty and, if so, of what nature. I would recommend that your USB hub needs to be powered (not passive).

harpman
Expert

Post by harpman » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:50 pm

USB hub is powered. Looks like it will only work with the Focusrite plugged directly into the iPad using the CCK (Camera Connection Kit). I have an old iPad 1 sitting around with 64GB of memory, so I may elect to use that since I use my iPad 3 docked to my Mackie DL1608 digital mixer and my iPad Air for controlling FOH sound at live gigs. The bummer is that the iPad can only see the first 8 channels of my Focusrite 18i20 and not the second 8 that are connected via the ADAT cable to my second unit. Just won't be able to do a live recording of our full band but it will work for our two trios that don't use more than 8 channels.
Musically Yours,

Giovanni Stefani
Stefani Entertainment

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:56 pm

I'm confident that there are other 18i20 users on this forum. Perhaps one of them can at least confirm that the 18i20->Hub->CCK->iPad combination does work. But if it works without a hub, and you don't need the hub in the equation for any other reason, then I guess it's not an issue.

I have a vague recollection that Auria has been tested with a Presonus rig of more than 8 channels simultaneously. @Rim should know. @Rim? He can probably also advise on the suitability of an iPadv1 with Auria.

BTW have you asked Focusrite Support?

Good luck! :)

harpman
Expert

Post by harpman » Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:39 pm

Washboy wrote:I'm confident that there are other 18i20 users on this forum. Perhaps one of them can at least confirm that the 18i20->Hub->CCK->iPad combination does work.
Washboy wrote:But if it works without a hub, and you don't need the hub in the equation for any other reason, then I guess it's not an issue.
I have a vague recollection that Auria has been tested with a Presonus rig of more than 8 channels simultaneously. @Rim should know. @Rim? He can probably also advise on the suitability of an iPadv1 with Auria.

BTW have you asked Focusrite Support?

Good luck! :)

I would prefer to use the hub considering that port 1 is 10W and will charge the iPad while recording. I will place a call to Focusrite on Monday, however, I have a hunch it will be a finger pointing scenario between Auria and Focusrite. I hope not.
Musically Yours,

Giovanni Stefani
Stefani Entertainment

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:51 pm

harpman wrote:...I would prefer to use the hub considering that port 1 is 10W and will charge the iPad while recording...
Ooh, I want one of those! 8) What make/model of hub are you using?

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:05 pm

Also check out this thread, re which USB port to connect to iPad/CCK.

harpman
Expert

Post by harpman » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:48 pm

The USB hub is called Kanex Model: USB3HUB4X. The only caveat is that in order to charge the iPad on Port 1, it has to be in standalone mode (i.e. not connected to PC or Mac). Just realized that this is my issue with the hub. The end that would normally connect to the PC or Mac (output) needs to connect to the iPad thru the CCK. One of the 4 ports (input) needs to connect to the Focusrite. which wont work with charging your iPad. Also, I tried plugging each Focusrite into ports 2 and 3 of the Kanex hub and Auria only sees one of them.
Musically Yours,

Giovanni Stefani
Stefani Entertainment

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:31 pm

Thanks for the hub info. I did suspect that the charging port would not be the one for connecting to the CCK. Glad that's clear now :)

I'm fairly certain that iOS cannot support more than one USB audio device simultaneously so plugging both 18i20s into the hub will not make them both available to your iPad. At best, only one of them will be 'seen'. Only one should be connected to the hub and I suppose the 2nd is connected to the 1st 18i20 via ADAT only. I'm out of my depth now! :oops:

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:42 pm

Do the two 18i20s need to be configured via MixControl to present the 16 channels before connecting to the iPad? Of course the configuration would have to be "Save to Hardware"d for the configuration to stick. I'm sure Focusrite can advise on that aspect :D

harpman
Expert

Post by harpman » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:45 pm

I did do the "Save to Hardware" via MixControl, but will try it again.
Musically Yours,

Giovanni Stefani
Stefani Entertainment

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:53 pm

Please be aware of this thread:
http://auriaapp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=11937
...particularly the bit about MixControl (at startup) not reading the config from the hardware but using MixControl's last-used settings.

harpman
Expert

Post by harpman » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:28 am

I briefly reviewed the article, thanks. I'm going to place a call with Focusrite this week. I'm really hesitant about regressing back firmware or installing beta versions. This may be a moot point if Auria doesn't fix their "Export to DropBox" issue. May have to go back to lugging my laptop to my gigs and using Sonar X3 instead of Auria.
Musically Yours,

Giovanni Stefani
Stefani Entertainment

harpman
Expert

Post by harpman » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:36 am

All I can say is Kat from Focusrite rocks!!! We spoke yesterday and got all my issues resolved. I now can use Auria with my 2-18i20's to record my 16 channels for live gig recording. For anyone interested, the information is below and screen shots posted as well:

18i20 Unit 1 (a.k.a. Interface Unit) - This is the unit that connects to your PC/Mac or Auria
- Sample Rate = 44.1 (both units must be sample rate)
- Sync Source = ADAT
- Sync Status = Locked
- ADAT Cable = Connected to IN (signal path is coming from Standalone Unit)

18'20 Unit 2 (a.k.a. Standalone Unit) - This unit has no USB connection
- Sample Rate = 44.1 (both units must be same sample rate)
- Sync Source = Internal
- Sync Status = Locked
- ADAT Cable = Connected to OUT (signal path is leaving this unit to IN on Interface unit)

The other issue is that you need to reassign your input matrix in Auria. Channels 9/10 are assigned to Tracks 9/10 by default and 9/10 are SPIDIF from the Interface unit (I don't use SPIDIF). So on the Standalone unit, I reassigned Ch 11/12 (which are Ch 1/2 on SA unit) to Tracks 9/10 on the Auria Input Matrix.

Screenshots: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zl3ddhcmu4s22qm/vxv8DzYSbG

Hope someone finds this helpful.

Ciao,

Gio
Musically Yours,

Giovanni Stefani
Stefani Entertainment

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:29 pm

Many thanks for sharing the solution, @harpman. Glad you got things resolved finally! :D