Size of preview.wav is HUGE

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

harpman
Expert

Size of preview.wav is HUGE

Post by harpman » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:11 pm

Why is the size of preview.wav so huge? I recorded 2 tracks for about 30 seconds. Track 1 and 8 are 2.8 MB is size and preview.wav is 1.2 GB.
Musically Yours,

Giovanni Stefani
Sound Engineer / Harmonica
Stefani Entertainment

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Size of preview.wav is HUGE

Post by Rim » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:21 pm

You can delete preview.wav if you need to, it's not necessary. Auria automatically creates these files for every project you save, and it contains a short 5 second preview from the middle of your song.

Rim

harpman
Expert

Post by harpman » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:22 pm

Rim,

The problem is that it's sucking the storage out of my iPad. During the export to DropBox, I get a message on the iPad that I'm out of storage and sure enough I'm down to "0". When I connect my iPad in iTunes and look at the New Project 1 folder, it's way to big 18G for a 30 second recording of 2 tracks. During the export process, the preview.wav will continue to grow until the iPad runs out of storage. I've tested this on both my iPad Air (32GB) and iPad 1 (64GB) and they both behave the same. In scenario #2, I do the same 30-second recording of 2 channels, but this time I connect it via iTunes. The folder size is 9MB versus 18GB. There is definitely a bug identified here.
Musically Yours,

Giovanni Stefani
Sound Engineer / Harmonica
Stefani Entertainment

Rimshot51

Post by Rimshot51 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:23 pm

Since you get the same large file size on two different iPads but other projects are not nearly as large, could you have a damaged project? Can you create a new project and bring in the wave files and see how it compares?
Rimshot51

Auria, Drumagog, Studio One 2.6, Sonar Producer X3, Cubasis, Cubase AI, GarageBand, Notion, Zoom R24, UR-44, Axiom 64, WIndows 7 64, Equator D5's, NanoPatch, Alesis MICTUBE Duo, Behringer B1, Shure SM57, and Rhodes M5's mics.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:00 pm

It does indeed sound like something is not right with that project. Preview.wav should always be the same size (just under 1MB for a 44.1K project). It's hard for me to think of a reason why it would grow. Auria deletes the file and recreates it each time you load another project.

Rim