Auria + Final Touch = audio flickering problem :(

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Sinapsya
Expert

Auria + Final Touch = audio flickering problem :(

Post by Sinapsya » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:26 pm

I'm on iPad 4 and using Audiobus with Auria in input, Final Touch in effect, and ipad output.
Results is unusable audio flickering....all track freezed and no apps in background :(
No problem with Cubasis or other apps...

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Auria + Final Touch = audio flickering problem :(

Post by Rim » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:12 pm

Have you contacted Positive Grid about this? If not, I can do it.

Thanks,
Rim

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:13 am

As a beta tester for Final Touch, i can tell you that in all my tests, Auria and Final Touch use too much cpu resources when running side by side. Your best bet with Final Touch is to Master your Auria mixdown and not have Auria running at all. Enjoy the new Final Touch as it is a real breakthrough in iOS Audio Mastering. Cheers.

ChrisG
Expert

Post by ChrisG » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:15 am

There's a bug or two when using Final Touch as IAA in Auria. It's all related to the spectrum analyzer graphics in the EQ and Compressor module in Final Touch as far as I can tell, where the interface will slow down to a crawl. Completely unusable. In the latest version of Auria, turning off the internal speaker/mic processing under Aurias settings, and switching back to FinalTouch, will usually bring back Final Touch to a proper working state again. Sometimes it'll be a bit random, and sorta "snap out of it" into a working state without switching off the internal speaker/mic processing in Aurias settings.

So any audio glitches, and super slow UI graphics in Final Touch when using it via IAA in Auria is bug related. Final Touch does NOT use too much resources alongside Auria. Final Touch uses surprisingly little resources on an iPad Air considering the high quality. There are no problems running it fully decked out with all EQ bands and all comp bands and all the rest of the modules enabled, alongside Auria (even with Aurias record buffer setting at 128). That is when it's not in that bug-state (which will also usually crash both Auria and FT).

Audiobus w. FinalTouch as effect and Auria as output don't get this bug that slows down FT. So Audiobus is just fine here. The bug(s) are somewhere in this mess -> iOS 7-7.1/coreAudio/IAA/Auria/Final Touch.

I noticed that Final Touch when in stand alone mode gives the same bad output from the iPad internal speakers as Auria did after the iOS 7.1 update (and got fixed with yesterday's update). Now, you don't master on iPad speakers obviously, but that same behavior pointed to a more serious issue when it came to Auria (corrupting 96khz audio and whatever else there was).

Anyway, I hope Positive Grid are able to fix it (perhaps Rim can provide some knowledge!).

Oh, and @Rim, it would be awesome to be able to use IAA effects on the master strip (eg Final Touch as IAA on the master output in Auria would be great). Pretty please with cherries on top? :wink:

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:04 am

Not sure where you got your info ChrisG but my versions of Final Touch do not appear in Auria's IAA slot only in Audiobus. As far as cpu usage, Final Touch works fine as stand alone but when combined with Auria than the cpu glitch can occur. Final touch has NO cpu % readout so it would be difficult to estimate how much cpu it is actually using. As for Auria, I sometimes find my memory as low as 24 mgs free, which is very low to run anymore plugins. As far as my testing went there is no glitch in the spectrum analyzer in Final Touch and it has been running great in my studio for weeks. This is a mastering app and should be used as a last process to your recording. Cheers.

Just tested the app in Audiobus and it's working fine here including the spectrum analyzer.
Last edited by Anthony Alves on Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

ChrisG
Expert

Post by ChrisG » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:09 am

Anthony:

Final Touch is listed as "Mastering" in the IAA list, and not as "final touch" for some reason. Aurias CPU meter does give readouts from IAA apps. But, admittedly I've only tried it on very small projects. Either way, it's all kinda hard to do a proper test until this bug has been sorted out. : / (the spectrum "glitch" only appears when FT is used as an IAA node in Auria, not in stand alone or Audiobus).

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:19 am

Ok ChrisG thanks for pointing out the IAA plugin name. I reported this several times durring my testing but it appears to still be incorrect. The name has changed a few times durring the Beta testing and I just didn't notice this one because I have Audio Mastering and Mastering from other developers in my IAA slot. This should appear as Final Touch and not the older name so I will get in touch with Calvin from PositiveGrid and report the problem. Thanks ChrisG for that important info. Cheers.

ChrisG
Expert

Post by ChrisG » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:26 am

Thanks Anthony! Yea I have Audio Mastering as well, so it confused me too for quite a while before I finally tried the "mastering" list name. :D

Sinapsya
Expert

Post by Sinapsya » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:40 am

Mine don't works as IAA in Auria, it open it, popup but no IAA transport and Auria freezes :(

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:52 am

Ok I can confirm that ChrisG is indeed correct and there is a spectrum display lag and some VU meters are not responding correctly in IAA. I will report this right away to PositiveGrid. Thanks for pointing all this out, it only works if we all work together to solve it. Thanks guys. Cheers.

ChrisG
Expert

Post by ChrisG » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:58 am

Thanks again Anthony. Much appreciated! : )

@Sinapsya Yea, IAA and FT in Auria (and perhaps other hosts as well?) is buggy right now. Try turning off "internal speaker/mic processing" in Aurias setting, then switch back to FT to get the sound back,see if that works as a temporary get around fix. And as for transport, TF doesn't have any (yet)

Sinapsya
Expert

Post by Sinapsya » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:55 am

Thanks @CrisG....I think to use it only as standalone before they fix his bugs...

ChrisG
Expert

Post by ChrisG » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:42 pm

Yea, it does seem related just to Auria. I've tried it with Cubasis and Audioshare as hosts, and it works just fine in those as insert effect via IAA. But...well Auria's where it's at, so would be great to get it to work properly with Auria.

-------

On an unrelated note...When I fired up the IAA menu in Audioshares internal recorder, Audioshare showed a neatly and alphabetically organized menu with only IAA effect apps. In Auria it's all just a loooong unorganized list with both instruments and effects. @Rim if your reading, would it be possible to organize the list alphabetically inside two different sub menus, one with effect nodes, the other with instruments (I know some will appear as duplets)? Or at least one submenu where everything is alphabetically sorted? I have a feeling this blue list will get veeeery long with time : )

skoptic

Post by skoptic » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:53 pm

I'm seeing another random and seemingly illogical issue. 7.1 mini retina, mic processing turned off......

Can anyone add Final Touch IAA to Auria Master track FX and hear it doing anything (i.e. ramp it up!). I can make it work on a stereo track but nothing on master? weird?

skoptic

Post by skoptic » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:46 pm

OK - I hear that maybe no IAA's on master FX track.

Is that a feature Rim?