Short midi sync question

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Engineer

Short midi sync question

Post by Engineer » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:50 am

Hy all!

got a little midi sync question.

Auria is set up as slave.
master is a tr 505 or a doepder maq 16.

auria set to receive MTC and external sync enabled........blue clock appears on the play button......when i press play in auria it starts immediatly.......shouldn't it wait for the master till it gets started? :?:

Thanks for any help and this great app!

Stef

Phil999
Expert

Re: Short midi sync question

Post by Phil999 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:57 am

both devices send MIDI clock, which is not the same as MIDI Time Code (MTC). If you set Auria to receive MIDI clock it should work in theory, but in iOS there's no guarantee. Furthermore, there may be sync, but no start/stop.

Generally it is better to have the DAW as master clock, there's more chance to have it all working, including start/stop. But it is sometimes more fun to have a hardware button for start/stop instead of a tiny area on a touchscreen. In this case I'm not sure if it is possible. The only way I managed to make Auria start with a hardware button is via MTC coming from Cubase, triggered by an MCU clone controller. And Auria doesn't start immediately, it takes a second or two until it locks to the sync signal, then playback is starting.

Engineer

Post by Engineer » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:22 am

Thanks,

ok i will then try with a DAW instead.

but isn't it right that i have to press play in auria when it is in slave mode to make it wait for the master...?

instead of waiting auria just starts playing (MTC and External sync enabled)?

Phil999
Expert

Post by Phil999 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:25 am

sorry for being not clear, with DAW I meant Auria. In general it is recommended to have Auria (or any other DAW, be it on a tablet or on a computer) as master clock, and all synths/sequencers as clock slave.

It is normal that the slave starts automatically.