Need help with mackie dl806

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

force76

Need help with mackie dl806

Post by force76 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:56 am

Hello,
I have everything set up with the mackie..i get mic levels in the mackie app...in auria it shows im connected through USB...i go to record and when im done no audio is recorded...what am I doing wrong lol

Washboy
Expert

Re: Need help with mackie dl806

Post by Washboy » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:27 am

Is Auria enabled for microphone in IOS's permissions/privacy settings (iOS v7, that is)?

force76

Post by force76 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:38 pm

yup the microphone permissions are on

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:48 pm

How does the dl806 appear in Auria's Input Matrix? Does Auria show any levels on armed tracks?

force76

Post by force76 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:25 pm

I didnt notice anything different in the input matrix...should there be something for the DL806 in there?....and no levels show on the armed track

dominicperry
Expert

Post by dominicperry » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:30 am

What makes you think the Mackie will work with Auria? It's not a Class Compliant device - the idea of the Mackie DL series is live sound controlled by a dedicated app on the ipad. That doesn't mean that every other app will work. I don't think the Mackie is intended to do what you're trying. Maybe I'm mistaken, but when I looked at the Mackie recently I didn't see anything to indicate that you could connect an ipad for recording purposes (except for possible a stereo feed directly into one of the Mackie apps).

Dominic

force76

Post by force76 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:51 am

Its a Mifi device and the 16 Channel version is listed on audio interfaces that are compatible with Auria. Im sure the 8 channel is compatible considering it's the exact same mixer with less channels.

dominicperry
Expert

Post by dominicperry » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:00 am

OK, that's good. The text from their FAQ is

"What apps can be used for playback or recording?
iPad applications can play back stereo audio to a DL Series mixer over the dock connector via a dedicated channel labeled “iPad” in the Mackie Master Fader control application. The main L/R signal is also sent from the mixer hardware for recording. While you can use the built-in Music app for playback and the Master Fader app itself for recording, many users utilize other 3rd party applications for these purposes. This works for any application that supports background audio playback/recording which allows the user to switch back to the Master Fader app for mixing. Many popular apps support this including Garage Band, Auria and Multitrack DAW."

So you're only going to get a stereo feed, and only if you set Auria to work in the background.

I'm not sure why it doesn't work. It sounds like an (almost) good plan. It's a real shame they don't send an 8+2 or 16+2 feed for recording. But you should at least get the +2 bit. I might buy one and see if I can get it to work.

Dominic

dominicperry
Expert

Post by dominicperry » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:05 am

It runs at 48KHz - are you on the right sample rate in Auria?

Dominic

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:31 am

force76 wrote:I didnt notice anything different in the input matrix...should there be something for the DL806 in there?....and no levels show on the armed track
What I meant by my question was to determine how many input channels are available to you (and which ones). Available channels will appear as a grey button (yellow, if assigned), e.g.:
image.jpg
Auria Input Matrix
image.jpg (131 KiB) Viewed 15755 times

force76

Post by force76 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:02 pm

dominicperry wrote:It runs at 48KHz - are you on the right sample rate in Auria?

Dominic
I might have had the session set at 44.1...ill look at that too...
dominicperry wrote:OK, that's good. The text from their FAQ is

This works for any application that supports background audio playback/recording which allows the user to switch back to the Master Fader app for mixing. Many popular apps support this including Garage Band, Auria and Multitrack DAW."

So you're only going to get a stereo feed, and only if you set Auria to work in the background.
Dominic
So how do I make this all work?? lol

dominicperry
Expert

Post by dominicperry » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:58 pm

As a start, go into setting (inside Auria) and turn "App Background Audio Mode" to ON

Then plug the iPad into the Mackie, restart Auria and grab a screenshot of the Input Matrix.
Screenshots - you need to press the 'Home' key on the iPad and the on/off button on the top of the iPad at the same time. They are saved to the camera roll. Post it here, we can see if what you're getting makes sense.

Dominic

force76

Post by force76 » Sun May 04, 2014 10:45 am

First off...i wanna thank everyone for their help. I was able to make this work and it was a simple solution that i can't believe I overlooked. I didn't have the master up, yup it was that simple and i can't believe i didn't realize that, but again thanks for the help. However, i have a new issue, getting the audio recorded in Auria to play through the Mackie DL806. This time i made sure the Master was up lol but its not getting any levels from the app. Any suggestions? Thanks again!