Connecting a Focusrite 18i20 to an ipad mini

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

AllanP

Connecting a Focusrite 18i20 to an ipad mini

Post by AllanP » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:43 pm

Can anyone direct me to help in setting up a Focusrite 18i20 with an iPad mini. Auria is already installed.

When I do make the connection, Auria does not see the 18i20. There is a 'USB Active' indicator led on the unit which lights up when it is connected to my iMac. It remains unlit when connected to the iPad.

Many thanks!
AllanP

BGR
Expert

Re: Connecting a Focusrite 18i20 to an ipad mini

Post by BGR » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:28 am

So CCK to USB is being used.

First choice: to connect it directly.
Second choice: to connect it through a USB hub.

Have you tried both?

AllanP

Post by AllanP » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:45 am

Hi

Thanks for your reply.
I'm connecting the 18i20 to the iPad via the USB-to-Lightning cable. I'm not using the 30-pin camera connector.
I don't have a USB hub, so I haven't tried that.
The cable is functioning-I use it to import photos from my camera.

I noticed a comment on another thread that mentioned using the 30-pin connector-to-Lightning cable.

Cheers
AllanP

dominicperry
Expert

Post by dominicperry » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:28 pm

If you've got a Lightning equipped iPad, you don't need to think about the 30pin cable.
The Lightning to USB cable is the correct thing to use, but it is often important that it is a genuine Apple one, not a 3rd party version.
The hub may or may not be needed, it just depends. When a hub is required, it may not need to be a powered one, but it is likely that it will be!
Next, not all hubs work. Have a search here to find which ones other people are using successfully.
Lastly, the order that you do things can make a difference. From the following:-
A) Turn on the iPad
B) Connect the interface
C) Launch Auria
Clearly you can't launch Auria without turning on the iPad, (although you can launch it, turn the iPad off, then on again).
But you can vary the order of all the other possibilities. Hard to know which one will work until you try it.

Dominic

BGR
Expert

Post by BGR » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:25 pm

Dominic is right.
You have to try all combinations that come mind.

I have a 2i2. Even when powered, if I connect it directly, my iPad does not recognize it. Only when I use a USB hub -powered or not-.

Sava66

Post by Sava66 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:00 pm

I am trying to connect an iPad mini first gen to an focusrite 18i20 with a camera connection kit and plugable powered USB hub. As soon as I connect the ipad, auria just starts acting really slow and very very sluggish. Most buttons don't react. Sometimes I have to push a button two or three times. I have gotten to the point where I have seen the audio being Input on the VU but I was not able to record despite arming the tracks, etc. It seems to be an ipad performance issue. Can anyone successfully record with iPad mini first gen and auria and 18i20? I spent a fair amount for this set up and it's annoying that the iPad mini just seems to shut down while connected.

Chaosinside777
Expert

Post by Chaosinside777 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:01 pm

I didn't know that first Gen ipads are able to handle multitrack with more than 2 Tracks....at least you would Need iOS 6 or up for this?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:10 pm

iOS5 supported multichannel recording and playback using a USB device (up to 24 inputs, but only 2 outputs). iOS6 introduced more than 2 simultaneous routable outputs.

Rim

Sava66

Post by Sava66 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:55 am

But this is iPad mini first gen which should be equivalent to ipad 2 in terms of processing power.