What's better than DM1 ?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

ygagnon
Expert

What's better than DM1 ?

Post by ygagnon » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:27 pm

I've been having a hard time finding a decent drum machine/sequencer for the IPad. I like DM1, .. but feel that it still lacks certain key features that I require in order to create convincing sounding drum tracks (true velocity sensitivity, .. multi samples per instrument, .. the ability to add or purchase more drum kits, .. and the ability to load my own samples. What's out there that's BETTER than DM1? Anything??

Thanks,
- Yvan

starfugger
Expert

Re: What's better than DM1 ?

Post by starfugger » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:34 pm

You might be better off waiting for that app. or loading your own drum samples on dm-1, and manually programmingeach hit. Or use dramagog. Or make do with drum jam.

MrNezumi
Expert

Post by MrNezumi » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:22 pm

A new app called Drum Perfect should be out very soon. It might be what you are looking for. I think I read that it was submitted for review, so it should be available soon.

starfugger
Expert

Post by starfugger » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:02 pm

Waiting for this one. It's very hard to get convincing drums on the ipad. So far everything out there sounds midi-ish, except for real loops of course.

Strizbiz
Expert

Post by Strizbiz » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:11 pm

It's hard to say what's better, for the most part , everyone has their option and needs depending on what kind of music you're going for. Dm1, not bad, has a large library for how small it is but it's not multi layered and the hi hat doesn't choke. The hi hat not choking is my biggest gripe. In my drum arsenal I have Dm1, Impc, Funkbox, Beatmaker 2, Electribe, drum XD and rythm. I have a few I deleted , I don't keep anything that doesn't have audiobus or at least IAA except Impc and it's days are numbered.
Impc, not bad, but doesn't multi layer, doesn't have a song mode and no Audiobus. It samples of course so you can almost use it for anything.

Funkbox, not bad, like Dm1, a good variety of sounds for its small size. You can load you own samples but not multi layer.

Beatmaker 2, has a lot more features than most, a lot of sounds, a lot of editing features, beat slicing, a decent sequencer for doing drums but Beatmaker2 is essentially a Daw.

Eletribe, unlike the rest I've mentioned, is not sample based. Much more of an analog drum machine where you can shape electronic sounds kits, idea for electronic, dance and hip hop.

Rythm, probably the one I use the least, I'm not inspired by the workflow of it but haven't bought myself to delete it yet.

Drum XD, I find this to be a handy app for getting a live sound track for rock or funk. Again, pretty nice size library, very customizable for making you own kits and putting drums where you want to on the ipad screen, has sound for the center of the drum, rimshot sounds on the rim, for me I don't really play the drum via the scene if I'm home, I use a keyboard via camera connection kit. Now I will tell you this, it does let you record your performance but the recorder is not great in terms of punching in, quantizing etc, which on the other hand is also good because you get a much more live sounding performance rather than some that feel super tight and inhuman ,so a lot of time I record into Auria and just play all the way thru and get an decent track ( been playing drums via keyboard for years so I'm not that bad lol)

Ok now last but not least of this long winded reply and not listed, Sampletank. Again like Drum XD ,, not the best sequencer but it will quantize your track, but also like Drum XD , I use this when I want a live sound, played via midi keyboard and can get a very dynamic performance, the full version comes with a convincing acoustic kits and other kits but you can get more via in app purchases.

Another app worth mentioning, Amplitube, it's has a pretty decent drum loop player in it that let's you arrange then performance to fit your song, more styles available via inter app purchase. I only have one pack , the rock pack but I'm considering the rest.you can export your track or play it into Auria via audiobus.

If none of the above fit the bill like someone else mentioned , grab a hold of some loops. Personaly I have a ton of loops on my Mac but I don't find myself using them often.
Now in all fairness I haven't gotten drumagog yet because from what I've read it seems to be a drum replacer but I'll probably eventually get it just for GP, but I can't give you my take on that, maybe someone else can chime on it, I'd like to hear from anyone with how it works for them?

I don't know if this helps you at all but I hope it helps someone.

Striz
Last edited by Strizbiz on Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IPad Air 2 128 gb Apogee Duet Ipad/Mac

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:29 pm

wayni
Expert

Post by wayni » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:46 pm

I really like Drumagog. I have a bunch of multi-track MIDI loops that I'll use to build my drum track with, apply quantization/swing to humanize the performance, save it to audio and use Drumagog in full replacement mode to get a good sounding kit. Certain Gog files are capable of different articulations so it becomes easy to get a very real sounding drum track.

I also have the multitrack loop library from the Auria store. It's ok. TGE problem occurs when stretching or slowing the loop. While it keeps pitch ok, the duration of the hit stretches or shortens as well making for an unconvincing performance. I'm not sure I would recommend it on its own but if you are using Drumagog it's not a huge issue.

ygagnon
Expert

Post by ygagnon » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:29 am

I composed music using loops (using Acid Pro) for many years .. but felt that my music was starting to sound "canned", since you can only slice and dice loops to a certain point until your drum track starts to sound unnatural. I suppose it's ok if you're creating dance or electronic music, and using loops and samples from the same loop cd/library. But I'm trying to get back into creating rock/alternative type music, and using loops for that just won't cut it for me.

The Drum Perfect app looks very promising, .. and right in line with what I've been looking for. Thanks for the tip! If this app can do what it claims it can .. then I think this might be the ticket for me. If any of you discover that the app is available in the app store -- please post a note to this forum!

Thanks!
- Yvan

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:29 am

vezinho
Expert

Post by vezinho » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:59 am

Thanks for the info mtingle !
Has anyone tested yet ? Is it Inter app audio compatible ? There's the mention but not sure.
Will it appear in Auria ?
This could be interesting, but was wondering if the quality of the sample included is OK...

If Anyone could post about impressions...

Thanks a lot !

Jus
Expert

Post by Jus » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:13 am

Yep it's IAA shows up fine in Auria ,just tried a quick recording seemed to work fine 8)

vezinho
Expert

Post by vezinho » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:20 am

Jus wrote:Yep it's IAA shows up fine in Auria ,just tried a quick recording seemed to work fine 8)
Great news! Thanks Jus !
And the samples included are good ?

Jus
Expert

Post by Jus » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:23 am

Only just tried quickly using ipad built in speaker hope to get a better go later when I get more time
Think you can import your own tho if you have any :wink:

vezinho
Expert

Post by vezinho » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:28 am

Jus wrote:Only just tried quickly using ipad built in speaker hope to get a better go later when I get more time
Think you can import your own tho if you have any :wink:
OK i see, (yes i saw that you can import samples also)
Thanks a lot for taking time answering me. :)

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:41 pm

Nanostudio is similar to DM1 and has the instrument grouping so hi-hats can cut each other off. I always like to have a crash that's part of that group as well.

Nanostudio is showing its age, but still allows you to load your own etc.

Just another option for some of us.
Marty Schulte [I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
iPad AIR(128), Akai EIE, Akai EWI USB, illudium q-36 explosive space modulator
Head First Audio (live sound for Southern Oregon, USA)