Charging iPad

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Israel
Expert

Charging iPad

Post by Israel » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:45 pm

Hey guys, I'm really looking into getting a Focusrite 18i20 but the no charging ipad part really gives me second thoughts. If not I would go with Quartet, but with the money used to get a Quartet I could buy the 18i20, speakers and maybe even a new iPad :D

So question is:
Is there any such adapter at all that can let me charge the iPad while using the 18i20?
If not, do u think the 18i20 would be good without charging capabilities? Or should I just go with Quartet?

Tarekith
Expert

Re: Charging iPad

Post by Tarekith » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:33 pm

There's USB hubs that will do the trick, just make sure that they specifically say they can charge Apple devices, because not all can. I like the Plugable brand Hubs myself.

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:50 pm

Tarekith wrote:There's USB hubs that will do the trick, just make sure that they specifically say they can charge Apple devices, because not all can. I like the Plugable brand Hubs myself.
@Tarekith: Can you post a link to such a hub please? From what I could see on the Plugable site, they don't charge iPads.

jsol
Expert

Post by jsol » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:17 am

I have a belkin hub. It doesn't charge my ipad. I have yet to see one that charges ipad. Please provide the link I am interested to know of such hub. I own an 18i6. My pad battery lasts a very long time becuase the the 18i6 18i20 it doesn't matter doesn't use ipad battery since it uses it's own power. Battery life is still 10 hrs. Just make sure you have your ipad charged at least 40-50 percent. Before recording.

Israel
Expert

Post by Israel » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:40 pm

Sorry if I'm getting a little annoying with this but I read that it charges the iPad but it's a hub for computers. If i do connect the 18i20 to the ipad with this, it will charge the iPad while using the interface?

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:06 pm

Many thanks, Tarekith. No good for my ageing iPad3 but I'll make a note in case it's good for a future replacement.

dominicperry
Expert

Post by dominicperry » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:57 pm

Just bought the Plugable 4 port hub, and it will only charge the iPad when the iPad is connected to one of the four 'A-type' sockets. Unfortunately, to use the iPad with an external audio interface or Midi keyboard, you need the iPad plugged into the single upstream 'Mini-B-type' socket and this does not provide charging power.

So, back to the drawing board.

Dominic

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:01 pm

All the apogee interfaces are MiFi so you could go for a duet in theory.

Best get the feedback from a duet user though.

Katherine_Focusrite
Expert

Post by Katherine_Focusrite » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:54 pm

Hi Everyone,

This is all due to the fact that this equipment is all designed to also connect to a computer.

Both the 18i20 and the end of a USB Hub that normally goes to a computer cannot pass power out of this USB port as it could greatly damage computers.

Thus you see we have the new iTrack Dock coming which will charge your iPad. This is because there is no possibility of connecting the wrong device to a lightening connector.

However in the case of any normal USB 2 device designed for computer they will never pass power to prevent blowing up someone's motherboard in their computer.

Please let me know if I can help you further.
Katherine Kaplan // Focusrite Technical Support

http://www.focusrite.com/answerbase/en/