Looking for an interface for iPad air....

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

DeanRasik

Looking for an interface for iPad air....

Post by DeanRasik » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:44 pm

New to the board... (This is my first post.. ever). First got Auria with my iPad 1 and used a Tascam iU2 interface... Loved it but eventually wanted more memory, ect. from the iPad... Upgraded to iPad Air and can not get the Tascam to work with it... Converted the lightning cable to 30 pin and.... does not seem to see it. Is there a interface that will work well with Auria and iPad Air for less than a couple hundred bucks? Looking into the Akai EIE but concerned about it not being "USB 2" .... Not too concerned about the Akai being 16 bit. Would like at least two inputs... Four would be great.... Any ideas?

martygras
Expert

Re: Looking for an interface for iPad air....

Post by martygras » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:45 pm

Hey Dean,
First off lets make sure that you have the iPad set right.
As of iOS 7 there's a switch in "Settings > Privacy > Microphone".
You should see Auria in the list and the switch should be set to "on".
(That one really freaked everyone out.)
If that's already the case then check if there's a firmware update available for the iU2.

The Akai EIE (the red one) is a great interface, especially considering all the features and price. I have read over on Gearslutz that the "USB 1" is actually a USB 2.0 as is the internal 4 port USB hub.
I am extremely pleased with the mic pre's on guitar and bass so far. I also use the hub to connect an M-Audio USB keyboard and an Akai EWI (wind controller) with no problems. I also intend to attach my Handsonic HPD-15 to the midi in on the interface.

I had to buy a 30 pin to lightning cable for it to work with the iPad Air. I already had a 30 pin Camera Connection Kit.
Marty Schulte [I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
iPad AIR(128), Akai EIE, Akai EWI USB, illudium q-36 explosive space modulator
Head First Audio (live sound for Southern Oregon, USA)

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:07 pm

this is a surprisingly useful list for someone in your situation:

http://www.auriaapp.com/Support/auria-audio-interfaces

official too.

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:43 pm

Ooh, it's been updated. Cool.

Yes, it's such an informative list that other forums frequently link to it.

jsol
Expert

Post by jsol » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:38 pm

How does the d/a quality compare from the 1600 dollar rme ucx to the 300 dollar focusrite 18i6? Is there a notable difference? Today's d/a converters are all top notch regardless of price due to positive influx in technology however, can someone give their opinion in justifiable cause for one to upgrade units to get the best d/a quality between the two and share your experience regarding sound playback??

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:34 pm

jsol wrote:How does the d/a quality compare from the 1600 dollar rme ucx to the 300 dollar focusrite 18i6? Is there a notable difference? Today's d/a converters are all top notch regardless of price due to positive influx in technology however, can someone give their opinion in justifiable cause for one to upgrade units to get the best d/a quality between the two and share your experience regarding sound playback??

Over at Gearslutz there are a few discussions on this subject. The spec sheets are usually helpful, but not completely honest if you know what I mean. Each manufacturer measuring using different dB weights etc.

jsol
Expert

Post by jsol » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:37 pm

Thanks martygras

Cheers!!