Focusrite 18i8 and midi input

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Checkrath
Expert

Focusrite 18i8 and midi input

Post by Checkrath » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:27 pm

Previously I played my midi controller keyboard through the USB camera connection kit. Now that I have the 18i8, it makes sense to use the midi in on the unit. The midi led on the 18i8 is lighting up so it can see the keyboard, but none of the apps seem to be aware of the keyboard.

Is anyone else using midi with the 18i8 or similar units? Maybe just a dodgy midi cable :)

Btw, the focusrite 18i8 is an amazing unit and works beautifully with Auria.

Checkrath
Expert

Re: Focusrite 18i8 and midi input

Post by Checkrath » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:23 am

Sorted! Using a powered USB hub, midi over over USB and the 18i8 play happily together :D

actualproof
Expert

Re: Focusrite 18i8 and midi input

Post by actualproof » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:15 pm

It works great! You don't even need a powered hub for it to work. If it lights up but won't play, just turn the 18i8 off for a few seconds and then back on (make sure your midi controller and iPad are turned on and connected). The reset fixes midi problems. I have a Faderport (powered), and the 18i8 (with controller connected via midi port) plugged into a non-powered 4-port USB hub. The hub is connected to the iPad via USB>lightning adapter. Everything works beautifully!