Headphone mix ??

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

scharamella
Expert

Headphone mix ??

Post by scharamella » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:16 pm

Hello Rim,

I asked this question a while ago but didn't follow it up but the more I think about it, the more handy it would be.

I wish to generate a separate mix from the headphone out for say a click track for instance...

I hoped the headphone out would appear in the output matrix but it doesn't.
I am using Auria with a babyface or a Behringer is202 BTW.

Tell me if I'm wrong but is this a limitation of the iPad output bussing ?? Or can a software patch be written please ??

thanks
jim

brooks501
Expert

Re: Headphone mix ??

Post by brooks501 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:46 am

Hi

This is something I've done with the Focusrite 18i20, it has a bunch of outputs and I use the subs or aux sends to send a click. I've not used the interfaces you mentioned so not sure if you can access the outputs via Auria.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:20 am

The iPad headphone output will appear in the output matrix, but only if you're using iOS6 and above, and you have your core audio mode in Auria's settings set to either Standard or MultiRoute. It will only appear once you plug headphones into that jack. It must be headphones (can't be a headset, for example), as the iPad detects that they are actually headphones.

Rim

scharamella
Expert

Post by scharamella » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:53 am

ok, I see the icon for headphones now... ABOVE the output row... above 1 & 2.
But maybe I'm stupid because I cannot for the life of me see how to get a different mix into the headphones. Different to the stereo output I mean.... what am I missing please ??

Also, I can't see the headphone icon when I use the is202. It only appears when I have the iPad undocked.
I'm assuming this is because the iPad is setup to detect a load on the 3.5mm headphone out only while the dock gets it's audio from the 30 pin socket.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:26 pm

To assign a different mix to the iPad headphones, just assign the iPad headphones to a subgroup. For example Sub1. Then, you just need to send various tracks in your mixer to Sub1. This is done by tapping on the Subgroup box at the top of each track.

Non-iPad headphones, like the ones you'd connect to your interface are always assigned to the master output.

Rim

wayni
Expert

Post by wayni » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:16 pm

Hey Rim. I noticed that when the headphones and an audio interface are both present the Master assignment always reverts back to headphones whenever I wake my iPad up. I imagine that iOS causes this behavior but is it possible to save the state of the output matrix somehow?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:04 pm

Yes, both the input and output matrix have a preset box in the left corner that allows you to save your favorite configurations.

Rim

scharamella
Expert

Post by scharamella » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:06 pm

Rim wrote:To assign a different mix to the iPad headphones, just assign the iPad headphones to a subgroup. For example Sub1. Then, you just need to send various tracks in your mixer to Sub1. This is done by tapping on the Subgroup box at the top of each track.

Non-iPad headphones, like the ones you'd connect to your interface are always assigned to the master output.

Rim
I'm sorry Rim, yes that works... I can send a separate mix to the headphones via a sub group or even the Aux's (which is preferable) but any other mix going to the stereo output at the same time, is blended with the separate sub or aux mix in the headphones.

Please tell me I'm doing something wrong here because to me it looks like there needs to be another horizontal send row where there's currently the subs, aux & master where you assign a bus or aux to the headphones ONLY.

Or is there a way you move the headphone icon across to say outputs 3 & 4 ??

What am I missing here ??

Thank you for your patience,

cheers
jim

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:13 pm

Yes, there's an easy way to achieve what you want. Make sure to disable the INT button on that subgroup (it's a button in the output matrix). Turning this off disables the normal routing of that subgroup into the master fader.

Rim

scharamella
Expert

Post by scharamella » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:32 pm

All sorted thanks Rim....

I was trying to get a separate mix without docking the ipad in the IS202. When it's undocked, you only have access to one stereo out hence the blending.
BUT... when it's docked, the output route page suddenly spits up outputs 3 & 4 as well enabling the setup of a new feed to the inbuilt headphone out while the headphone out of the dock gets the main stereo mix.

I stupidly assumed the ipad headphone was physically located on the same side as the 30 pin so assumed I couldn't use it at the same time when the ipad is docked.
(insert picture of Jim with a very red face :)

Sorry to bother you Rim & as always, thank you for your patience.
All is great with the world again....

cheers
jim

actualproof
Expert

Post by actualproof » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:14 pm

Please delete this thread. All it does is confuse for absolutely no reason.

scharamella
Expert

Post by scharamella » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:32 pm

[quote="actualproof"]Please delete this thread. All it does is confuse for absolutely no reason.[/quote

I'm so sorry,
which part didn't you understnd ??

John Platko

Post by John Platko » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:37 am

scharamella wrote:
actualproof wrote:Please delete this thread. All it does is confuse for absolutely no reason.
I'm so sorry,
I found it helpful. I had the same question and Behringer istudio documentation is not very good.

Photo_G
Expert

Post by Photo_G » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:51 pm

+1 Please don't delete threads with clarification from Rim. Others will need the same help!

G

actualproof
Expert

Post by actualproof » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:12 am

scharamella wrote:
actualproof wrote:Please delete this thread. All it does is confuse for absolutely no reason.
I'm so sorry,
I didn't understand how someone could get that far into troubleshooting without realizing that the headphone jack and 30-pin port are not on the same side of the device.