deleting the noise

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

charrinho

deleting the noise

Post by charrinho » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:37 am

hello,
I would now how to delete the noise in a track ?
for example : sample a part of the noise in a track and after delete all the noise of that kind in the track. I would like this function to clean a track.
usefull for me with a vocal record with noise in the back.
thanks for your help

Rim
Site Admin

Re: deleting the noise

Post by Rim » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:16 am

What you're looking for is a noise reduction plugin. Auria doesn't have anything like that at the moment.

Rim

peteT
Expert

Post by peteT » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:53 am

Now CEDAR would be fantastic. Used by the BBC, Abbey Road etc. But alas, I expect too expensive to implement. I know it used to cost about £2k as a plugin for the SADiE editor. However Izotope RX is used by many professionals in addition to other plugins. I know colleagues who use two or three noise reduction plug ins even on the same material, on the principal that each one has its merits and sometimes when combined subtly can give fantastic results. De-Noising is an art and in the hands of an expert can produce incredible results, but be prepared and patient, it can take time to do depending on the nature of the noise. I have used world class experts for material I couldn't handle myself and never fail to be astonished. The forensic science of audio!!!

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:21 pm

The best approach is to eliminate as much noise going to the track when recording. This minimizes a lot of work before mixing. I know sometimes you have to fix what you get, but the results are never as good as when you keep your audio chain as clean as possible throughout.
Marty Schulte [I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
iPad AIR(128), Akai EIE, Akai EWI USB, illudium q-36 explosive space modulator
Head First Audio (live sound for Southern Oregon, USA)

Israel
Expert

Post by Israel » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:26 pm

The closest I get to it is using the expander's Gate on the channels trip...

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:58 pm

The expander's gate is probably the correct way to go about fixing this coupled with some carefully selected notches from a parametric eq to reduce the noise. Best if you can eq before the gate.
Marty Schulte [I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
iPad AIR(128), Akai EIE, Akai EWI USB, illudium q-36 explosive space modulator
Head First Audio (live sound for Southern Oregon, USA)

IPadArtist
Expert

Post by IPadArtist » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:11 am

Some tips to a cleaner vocal or acoustic mic-ing is to use a mic with a narrow polar pattern. Lower the mic gain and move closer to the mic this reduces the external noise floor making it more difficult for the noise to compete with your vocal DB range. Use an isolation booth like the VoxBooth. They are small but really help. Also check the house out for noise makers like electric clocks, heaters, lights, fridges, open doors and windows. Record after hours if possible. Most small home studios suffer from some or all of this. Removing noise after the recorded track is less than perfect and should only be necessary for live venue recordings where noises are inevitable. You can use EQ but you will likely be EQing out some of the dynamics of the track and the track will be affected by this. Use this only if you must. The best is to re-record the track. Many artists must return to the studio for correction takes even if the take was good due to technical problems in the track that cannot be fixed or the producer doesn't like the effect the repair had on the track.