iPad Mini Retina and Apogee ONE iOS, Apogee Jam

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

edson

iPad Mini Retina and Apogee ONE iOS, Apogee Jam

Post by edson » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:45 am

Hi,

I was extremely happy to have the offer of buying Auria 50% off the other day :D

Though.. :(

I have problems with my Apogee Jam and Apogee ONE iOS.

The problem is when I try to use Amplitube Hendrix/Fender that I have purchased. When adding it to the effects as a plugin, there is some spiky noise going on.

I've tried setting the buffer to 4096, and USB soft boot to off. But still no luck...

Amplitube Fender and Amplitube Hendrix work fine by themselves...

Is there any other possible solutions to this than the mentioned? (I appologize in advance if there is something I messed after searching.. ;))

Best regards,
Edson

Rim
Site Admin

Re: iPad Mini Retina and Apogee ONE iOS, Apogee Jam

Post by Rim » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:11 am

Have you tried enabling Audiobus mode in Auria's settings? This may help with the issue you're having. After you set this, make sure to close all apps, including Auria (double-tap on the home button).

Rim

edson

Post by edson » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:17 am

Rim wrote:Have you tried enabling Audiobus mode in Auria's settings? This may help with the issue you're having. After you set this, make sure to close all apps, including Auria (double-tap on the home button).

Rim
Nope.

Does it mean I have to setup everything through audiobus then? Or will I be able to just choose Amplitube as a FX-plugin in Auria?

/Edson

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:23 am

No, Audiobus mode forces Auria to always use a buffer size of 512, which works much better with other audio apps. You don't have to actually use Audiobus to use Audiobus mode in Auria.

Rim

edson

Post by edson » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:36 am

Rim wrote:No, Audiobus mode forces Auria to always use a buffer size of 512, which works much better with other audio apps. You don't have to actually use Audiobus to use Audiobus mode in Auria.

Rim
Cool, thanks.

I will try that when I get home later today.

Is 512 as a buffer size OK to use while monitoring. Or will the latency be high?

/edson

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:18 am

512 is fine for monitoring in my opinion. Not all apps can handle 256 or 128, so 512 is a good size to use.

Rim

edson

Post by edson » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:22 pm

Rim wrote:512 is fine for monitoring in my opinion. Not all apps can handle 256 or 128, so 512 is a good size to use.

Rim
Not working for me at all, which is quite frustrating. I bought Auria cause I was "wowed" by it, and also because I was hoping to be able to record to tracks simultaneously (vocal+guitar).

I tried recording with no effects. Worked OK. But as soon as I tried to add effects to the guitar (Amplitube Hendrix/Amplitube Fender) it goes all noisy and weird.

I use the Apogee ONE iOS for two track recording, and 96K, best quality recording...

With my Apogee Jam, it works better, but if I'm gonna record one track at a time, Garageband is so much simpler :(

I was thinking of buying the guitar amp plugin for Auria, but not sure now cause of the problems and if its necessary when I already have Amplitube.

/edson

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:15 pm

That's probably the issue - I really suggest not using 96000 Not all plugins support this high rate, and I'm pretty sure this is the issue you're seeing. Can you try it at 44100 and see if it works? It's rare to find iOS apps or plugins that can support 96K, especially a guitar processing plugin. In terms of audio quality, it's very difficult to tell the difference between 44K and 96K. Bitrate makes a much bigger difference (24 bit vs 16 bit), but 96K is overkill in most situations IMO.

Rim

rocdok
Expert

Post by rocdok » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:13 pm

Hi Edson, don't know if your problems are the same as I had with ipad 3 with apogee one but I had done a thread on it that was deleted by mistake. Here's a link to a video I did to document. I'm told the ipad 5 handles everything fine but I haven't tried the mini. I was told that the five has the horsepower to overcome the power sapped by the retinal bit.
http://vimeo.com/80196791
I think the password should come up but if not try 'Giggs'
Kier