Optimizing Plug Ins to conserve CPU?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Zippydog
Expert

Optimizing Plug Ins to conserve CPU?

Post by Zippydog » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:01 am

I've got a 16 (all mono) track project recorded and am moving to add effects.
Running into CPU issues.

Using: Convolution Reverb, PRO-Q and PRO-C on a number of tracks.
Also using two Fab Filter plug-ins on the master: PRO-C and PRO-L.

Are there settings on these FX to help reduce CPU use or make them less CPU greedy?
For example, I just read that the spectrum analyzer on PRO-Q is a CPU pig. Good to know - I'll turn that off.

Tonight, I'll also start freezing tracks to try and add some CPU headroom.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Optimizing Plug Ins to conserve CPU?

Post by Rim » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:08 am

The most important things to check are for minimum CPU usage in Auria when mixing:

- Don't use any of the Oversampling modes on the Fabfilter plugins
- Use Convolution reverb sparingly (put it on an aux send if you need to use it on more than one track)
- Force-close all your other audio apps, then start Auria.
- Don't use Audiobus mode
- Don't use any other audio apps at the same time

Rim

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:18 pm

Rim, are the oversampling modes off by default or do we have to go in and disable each one before use?
Marty Schulte [I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
iPad AIR(128), Akai EIE, Akai EWI USB, illudium q-36 explosive space modulator
Head First Audio (live sound for Southern Oregon, USA)

Zippydog
Expert

Post by Zippydog » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:16 pm

martygras wrote:Rim, are the oversampling modes off by default or do we have to go in and disable each one before use?
Same question here. I just went over to Fab Filter's site and pulled up the PRO-Q manual trying to answer the same question and couldn't find an oversampling control called out in the manual (I did skim pretty quickly, as I'm at work).

I did find this about oversampling on the site:
http://www.fabfilter.com/help/pro-l/usi ... pling.html

Would appreciate a steer on this ... will look again from home tonight.

gdog
Expert

Post by gdog » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:29 pm

Hi guys :)

If u look at the bottom of all the FF plugins GUIs u will see that over sampling / HQ mode is off by default.

To answer your original question freezing channels that don't use modulation / time based fx is best for CPU. If u want to squeeze more CPU out - mixing down & importing the mixdown as a new track, then deleting the old track would save a bit more. If another app is hogging memory even when you've closed it from the taskbar (double tap home button, swipe up), resetting the iPad (long hold power button until red slide to power off appears) can help.

Thanks of reading, I wish u all the best <3

Zippydog
Expert

Post by Zippydog » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:14 pm

Thanks gdog! Helpful!

mrufino1
Expert

Post by mrufino1 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:47 pm

You can freeze a channel with any effects on it, freezing is basically the same as bouncing it as you described except easily reversible. Once you freeze, a file is written, then the effects are disabled. Aux sends can still be changed, as can the saturation. When you "unfreeze," the temporary file is deleted, your regular file is there, and the effects are enabled.

Zippydog
Expert

Post by Zippydog » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:46 pm

Ok freezing helped a lot, but I still had some CPU issues. Nice feature, though, and it is so easy to freeze, yet if I find edits yet to be done in a frozen track, unfreezing is quick and easy.

The more tracks I froze, the more stable things got. I assume that I should be prioritizing tracks with the most effects to get the best benefit from freezing, yes? Is it worthwhile to freeze tracks that don't have any effects? Is there still a CPU benefit? I want to be sure to leave enough processing power to run mastering plug-ins on the main channels as I wrap the project up (which I am not yet able to do....more freezing needed).

I am using a 64 gig iPad 3. I am not using any other music apps, I am working in airplane mode, all other apps are forced closed, and I am not using audiobus. 44.1 sample rate, 512 buffer and as a reminder, this particular project includes just 16 mono tracks. Feels like I should have far more CPU headroom Under these conditions, but maybe my expectations are not realistic. What am I missing?

By the way, I might sound a little frustrated, but to be clear I totally love this app! BIG Thanks to Rim and this very cool community!!

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:17 am

Sounds like a good plan. Freezing tracks with no effects won't save you much though.

Rim

gdog
Expert

Post by gdog » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:17 pm

Zippydog wrote:Feels like I should have far more CPU headroom Under these conditions
Hi Zippydog,
No that sounds about right to me. ProC & ProQ take up a lot of CPU. I used to have an ipad3 & even one instance of SB Wow took up ~40%. Still I managed to work round it by using the mixdown method I mentioned above. I still have a 1st gen iPad mini, & whenever I use CPU heavy fx, I just mix it down & remove the effect.

I still find it incredible that I can lie down on my couch & use a touchscreen to create wild interesting sounds for hours that go by like minutes! <3

I wish u all the best! <3