external sync track

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Grahamguitarman

external sync track

Post by Grahamguitarman » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:32 am

Ok I'm trying to set up a click track to synchronise my analogue synths to aura. The idea is that you record audio click at your required tempo and then feed those clicks into the synth to provide timing for the analog sequencer. Making a click track work is no problem.

Where I'm having difficulty is in having a click track and a stereo input at the same time. I'm sure I'm missing something obvious, but is there a way to have the click track come out of the headphone socket, then have all other audio coming in/out via my audio interface (Alesis IO2) at the same time ?

If I had an audio interface with multiple outputs it would not be a problem, but my interface is stereo only and the output from my synth is in stereo :(

Phil999
Expert

Re: external sync track

Post by Phil999 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:40 am

I would use MIDI out from Auria into a MIDI-Sync or MIDI-CV box, that's easier.

But if you do it with a click track, I don't see the problem. Auria is the master, right? Feed the click track into your synths, and record stereo into the stereo input.

Grahamguitarman

Post by Grahamguitarman » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:26 am

If I had the cash to buy a midi to CV interface there would not be a problem - but there are more pressing things to buy!

The problem with simply using the output of Auria to sync the synth comes when I'm adding more stereo tracks and I can't monitor what I've already recorded because the output is sending the click track (which is how my synths are synchronised). If I had a 4 channel interface it wouldn't be a problem cause I could monitor on channels 1-2 and send out the click track on channel 3-4, but I don't have one and don't have loads of money to spare to buy one (wife and kids take all my money).

I can do this with korg sync control on my iPhone then sync to Beatmaker 2 on my iPad via wist, but then I would not have the superior recording quality of Auria :( Unfortunately wist is not implemented on Auria.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:28 am

Have you tried using subgroups? If you assign all your audio tracks to a subgroup, you can then route this subgroup to your iPad headphones using the output matrix. Once you plug headphones into the ipad, they appear as a separate assignable output in the output matrix.

Auria does have WIST, btw. You can turn it on in the settings.

Rim

Phil999
Expert

Post by Phil999 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:23 pm

and also without using the earphone output, you can route all recorded tracks to the left output channel, and the click track to the right output channel during recording. I have worked with 2-in/2-out interfaces for many years and still do. It's not so comfortable, but not a problem to record mono hardware effects (or do re-amping) in real-time.

That you can use the headphone out is of course the better solution. Just wanted to say that 2-in/2-out interfaces can be more flexible than many people expect.

Grahamguitarman

Post by Grahamguitarman » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:37 pm

Rim wrote:Have you tried using subgroups? If you assign all your audio tracks to a subgroup, you can then route this subgroup to your iPad headphones using the output matrix. Once you plug headphones into the ipad, they appear as a separate assignable output in the output matrix.

Auria does have WIST, btw. You can turn it on in the settings.

Rim
Ah! if Auria has WIST then my problem is solved. Did you know that Auria is not listed on the Korg site as one of the apps that support WIST? (which is why I was under the impression that it wasn't an included feature)

I'm off to have a play now :)

Grahamguitarman

Post by Grahamguitarman » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:38 pm

Phil999 wrote:and also without using the earphone output, you can route all recorded tracks to the left output channel, and the click track to the right output channel during recording. I have worked with 2-in/2-out interfaces for many years and still do. It's not so comfortable, but not a problem to record mono hardware effects (or do re-amping) in real-time.

That you can use the headphone out is of course the better solution. Just wanted to say that 2-in/2-out interfaces can be more flexible than many people expect.
Yes I agree, and for most of my projects a two channel interface has been fine, it was just starting to get a bit more complicated than it needed to be.

Grahamguitarman

Post by Grahamguitarman » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:43 pm

well how daft do I feel - in the end it took me all of ten seconds to activate wist and get my synthesisers synchronised to Auria!

Thanks for the help Rim :)

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:51 pm

That's great. Not sure why they're not listing Auria. We had it listed when we first launch Auria.

Rim

c0wfunk
Expert

Post by c0wfunk » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:52 pm

Is there any trick to getting WIST to work? I press connect on auria and on sync kontrol. The devices appear on each screen, but when I press it, it spins for a while then says it has disconnected.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:59 am

iOS 10.2 should have fixed the WIST issues. Have you upgrade to 10.2 yet?

Rim

c0wfunk
Expert

Post by c0wfunk » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:54 am

Phone was upgraded,iPad was not. This did the trick, thanks.