Volume automation without fader?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

gdog
Expert

Volume automation without fader?

Post by gdog » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:51 pm

Hi guys! :)

I'm wondering if it's possible to automate the volume of a track without it moving the mixer fader - if not this would be a really useful feature..I know there are workarounds (adding then automating DCam's out gain to -inf, etc), but they break the flow.

Also, many thanx to all the Auria team for the recent sale & all the devs who make such excellent fx, absolutely loving Auria!!

All the best <3

richardyot
Expert

Re: Volume automation without fader?

Post by richardyot » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:39 pm

Sure, you can do it in the edit view, see p74 of the manual:

http://assets.drumagog.com/manuals/Auri ... 0Guide.pdf

gdog
Expert

Post by gdog » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:50 pm

Thanks for the reply Richard,

I know how to record automation - I'm curious to know whether I can automate a track's volume while keeping its fader the same level - So I can keep a performance, whilst simultaneously keeping the same level. A lot of DAWs & even synths have more than 1 volume control for this reason - just curious if Auria does to..

Many thanks, all the best! <3

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:28 pm

Erm, do you really mean "automate volume"? Are you thinking of compression, perhaps?

gdog
Expert

Post by gdog » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:13 pm

Hi Washboy,

Thanks for the reply. No I don't mean compression.

Eg, I would like to keep my track fader at -4dB for the whole song, but for a very small section I would like to fade it down to about -11, hold at -11 for a bit, then bring it up to -4db again. I'm still mixing, so if I make changes I don't want to have to keep editing automation of the whole track, which is why I want to keep the fader at -4dB. If there was another volume control for each track, for automation, then I could simply keep the automation & just move the fader up or down as needed. Hope this makes sense.

Thanks for reading, I wish u all the best! <3

Spud
Expert

Post by Spud » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:57 pm

Do you mean that you don't want to lose the ability to make adjustments with the fader once you have automated the volume on the track?

brooks501
Expert

Post by brooks501 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:46 am

Not sure if this is what your looking for but you could use a Sub, let's say you have a Gtr on trk 1 that has some automation on it, assign that track to Sub 1 and leave the automation off, now while the track is playing you can adjust the Sub 1 manually but still have the automation doing its thing on trk 1.

gdog
Expert

Post by gdog » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:01 am

Spud wrote:Do you mean that you don't want to lose the ability to make adjustments with the fader once you have automated the volume on the track?
Hi Spud,

Pretty much - the way it is now, if I make an automation just for the middle of a track, it effects the whole track - u can move the fader in the mixer, but as soon as u let go, it returns..

Hi Brooks,

Thanks for the tip! I was thinking abt ur method too - it definitely is a way to do it. Another way, slightly wierd maybe, save a snapshot, MixDown just the automation, split & cut the original track, & replace it with the MixDown. Definitely the subgroup method is quicker, easier, & cleaner!

Thanks again guys, your advice is greatly appreciated! All the best <3

instinctive
Expert

Post by instinctive » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:34 pm

Sometimes, I find it amazing how someone asks an extremely simple and straightforward question, and 10 people gather to not understand it and interpret the most intergalactically remote things into it :)

It's funny, pretty much everyone seems to have this problem, but no DAW that I know of offers a straightforward solution to it.

When I still mixed in Logic 5.5.1 on the PC, I simply inserted a "Volume Helper" plugin into EVERY channel in my template, and then just automated that (it just had a single control "Volume"). Not sure what the closest Auria equivalent to that plugin would be :)

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:48 pm

How about using the Output knob on the channelstrip EQ or compressor? This is automatable, and you can disable the actual EQ or compressor. It gives you an additional volume control at no cost.

Rim

instinctive
Expert

Post by instinctive » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:57 pm

Damn, Rim, I should have known that. Now talk about straightforward and simple :)

mrufino1
Expert

Post by mrufino1 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:04 pm

Reaper has this feature, where the automation can be separate from the fader, so the fader raises or lowers the volume track as a whole and the automation is relative to it. Very handy.

gdog
Expert

Post by gdog » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:15 pm

Hi instinctive,

Thanks for the reply. Tbh, I think my topic title & 1st post explanation could've been clearer, it's 1 of those things that's easier to show than it is to explain.

Re DAWs - FL Studio (which I haven't used properly in years) handled this v.well, it has a hi res volume knob (for automation) next to each track independent of the mixer fader, & had another lo res volume control (for big adjustments) semi hidden in the track's properties. If I ever go back to using desktops, it would be for the automation in FL Studio, which I remember being the best out of all I tried, but I just can't go back to using a mouse & being tethered to a desk!

Hi Rim,

Thanks for the info! The EQ & Compression's outs are a really good suggestion, since each have +/-18 dB so that should be enough for most things. Still it would be nice to have another Hi res knob/fader that has the same range as the track faders +10 to -inf.

Thanks again, all the best <3