Griffin StudioConnect question

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

jnystrom

Griffin StudioConnect question

Post by jnystrom » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:57 am

Hi guys,

Being new to the Auria & iPad world, I figured I'd ask the community that knows it the best. Me and a friend of mine are going on the road playing as a duo, and we want to use back tracks & click track. Problem is, reading this forum I cannot seem to figure out if the Griffin StudioConnect solves our issue:

We want to run 1 stereo audio track with a pre-recorded background track. (for instance track 1 & 2 in Auria). We want to route this audio to our PA system. Track 3 (or 3 & 4) in Auria would contain a click track that we'd only get in our monitor. Is this doable with the Griffin StudioConnect?

We already have all backgrounds & click tracks ready to be bounced out of ProTools, but reading this forum (or the Griffin one) I can't figure out of Auria & Griffin StudioConnect can perform the routing we want. Sorry if I haven't made myself clear enough or if this topic has already been covered - maybe my searching skills and/or terminology is wrong. I'm more a musician than a technician I'm afraid :) Thanks so much in advance! Sincerely / Jonas

Photo_G
Expert

Re: Griffin StudioConnect question

Post by Photo_G » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:39 am

Hi,

I believe that the StudioConnect is a 2in-2out interface so, even though Auria shows 4x outputs, you probably couldn't do this in stereo. However, you might be able to do it in mono. It looks like you may be able to change two sub-groups to mono and set them left and right, then send the backing track(s) to one sub and the click track to the other. You would have to figure out the right connectivity and impedance but, if this was doable, you could then possibly take one of the RCA's out to the board (say, left), and the headphone out to the monitor (on right).

Rim...does this sound feasible? I'm also curious why there are 4x outs in Auria, even though the SC only has two.

Thanks in advance,
G

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:01 pm

Hi jnystrom
First off, good luck with you and your friend and your tour. Sounds exciting.

I believe the outputs and headphone are linked so I'm doubtful that this can be done. It sounds interesting though so I'm gonna try this out of curiosity tonight if I can find the time.

The Akai EIE (the red one) has some features that are more to your needs and may be the interface you need, so check that out if all else fails.
Features like 4 input channels with inserts. 4 outputs that could be mapped in Auria like you said, and more professional input jacks. (mic/line/instrument).

EDIT:
I just thought of a way you could use the midi output to drive a drum machine (or synth) to be used as a click track generator.
Marty Schulte [I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
iPad AIR(128), Akai EIE, Akai EWI USB, illudium q-36 explosive space modulator
Head First Audio (live sound for Southern Oregon, USA)

Photo_G
Expert

Post by Photo_G » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:35 pm

^^^^ Great info! ^^^^^

One other thing to consider is charging the iPad from your chosen interface. If this is important, given the length of your sessions, not many interfaces can charge and do audio at the same time. The StudioConnect is definitely one of them, but I'm not sure about others, like the EIE.

G

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:12 am

I think the Alesis IO Dock and the Griffin Studioconnect are maybe the only 2 that charge. I just bought an Akai EIE last night, but haven't run it through its paces yet. It most likely does not charge the iPad.
Marty Schulte [I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
iPad AIR(128), Akai EIE, Akai EWI USB, illudium q-36 explosive space modulator
Head First Audio (live sound for Southern Oregon, USA)

Photo_G
Expert

Post by Photo_G » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:40 pm

Cool...I'll look forward to hearing how it goes! I believe that the Alesis IO Dock is 30-pin only, so it will not take a Lightning adapter cable like the 30-pin StudioConnect. Of course the Lightning StudioConnect version is also available now too.

G