Scarlett 18i8

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

cardigan67

Scarlett 18i8

Post by cardigan67 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:14 am

This is my first post so I hope you won't find my question too naive.
I am new to digital recording, have an ipad3 & a scarlett 18i8. The problem is I don't have a computer so cannot access the Scarlett's mix control software. My question is can I route the Scarlett's inputs to any auria channel without this software?
I am not concerned with simultaneous multitracking at this point but would like to know if I can record more than 8 tracks when I eventually get there.
Hats off to the developers of Auria as despite my limited knowledge and experience I am enjoying this brave new world of creativity. :D

pipo79
Expert

Re: Scarlett 18i8

Post by pipo79 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:11 pm

Hi !
I am not a part of the Auria Team but I run a Scarlett 18i6 (!) by myself and I remember that I had to pull the "Ipad - patch" from the focusritewebsite and then had to run it via the control-panel on my pc to switch the settings inside the scarlett interface. This patch is nothing more than a "template" which you can select in the control-panel (when you downloaded it before from the focusrite website) - don't forget to select "save setting to hardware" as the last action you do via the control- panel - then the setting will be saved "inside" your scarlett and you will not need to connect to the control panel anymore as long as you proceed working with that setting. Good Luck !

This is the link I used for my 18i6 interface
http://us.focusrite.com/usb-audio-inter ... /downloads

Your interface seems not to need that "patch" - try calling their hotline !

cardigan67

Post by cardigan67 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:09 pm

Thanks for the reply, i guess a mac or PC are inevitable at some point,but in the meantime I will soldier on & hope for the best out of the ipad & scarlett. Many thanks !

Katherine_Focusrite
Expert

Post by Katherine_Focusrite » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:19 pm

Hi Cardigan,

The MixControl software only affects the output routing on our interfaces, while the input is fixed.

The Mappings or patches we offer are not required. They are simply suggested routings for Low Latency or DAW Tracking Modes but users who are familiar with the software can make any desired routing and use it with the iPad.

As the 18i8 is a new interface fully supported for iPad you will likely find that it works out of the box on your iPad without the Firmware Update.

Unfortunately I do not have a new out of the box 18i8 here in Tech Support to test this out on for you but please try it.

I would expect the default routing to send all Inputs and Stereo Out from your DAW to Mix 1 and then to all the Outputs in Stereo Pairs. So you may hear a doubling effect if you do not Mute the track you are recording in the DAW.

Please let me know if there is anything we can do to assist you.

Best regards.
Katherine Kaplan // Focusrite Technical Support

http://www.focusrite.com/answerbase/en/

Schimanski
Expert

Post by Schimanski » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:25 am

With the scarlett mixcontrol version 1.6 the "save to hardware"-function doesn't work anymore!
And Mixcontrol won't let you go back to 1.2 where it was working for me.

actualproof
Expert

Post by actualproof » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:15 pm

I can confirm that that 1.6 MixControl software DOES work and has no problem saving routing to the hardware.

Janushka

Post by Janushka » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:42 pm

Hello Rim, or other members here,

I just got today the focusrite 18i8. I need help please.

I cannot get this thing work with the ipad, meanwhile i have mixcontrol (1.6 )in use and saved settings to hardware.
I can play already existing files back in to the 18i8, but when i want to record i see no audio input at all .
What do i do wrong ???
I hope you can give me details of how to set up this 18i8 correct with to make it work with auria .
(ipad 4 )

Janushka (holland)

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:18 pm

Have you checked your iPad's privacy settings? This is the most common problem for getting no input into an app. Go to Settings, Privacy, Microphone, then look for Auria and make sure it's enabled.

Rim

Janushka

Post by Janushka » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:59 pm

Thanks you help me out Rim.

This caused indeed the problem. I have input ( Ipad micr. enabled )

Only i got a delay effect :-( ?? something with monitoring ?.

Need to experiment what i need to do. Maybe you know what to set for monitoring but i even have delay with only headphones in use , hmmmmmm....... strange.

Jan

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:39 am

It sounds like you have hardware monitoring turned on inside the interface. The best thing to do is use MixControl to reset your interface's settings to the iPad preset.

Rim

Janushka

Post by Janushka » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:10 pm

i was looking for such , but i see them only for 18i6 ( in mixcontrol 1.6 exe )

i work with a pc , not a Mac . mayby this causes this not to see them , but i tried to set the once for 18i6 , i cannot open them in mixcontrol ?? !

Jan

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:56 pm

Get MixControl v1.6.1 here (if you don't already have it):

http://global.focusrite.com/downloads?p ... rlett+18i8

"Updates Windows USB 2.0 driver to 2.5.1.
Updates 6i6, 8i6, 18i6, 18i8, 18i20 firmware to 586.

- Enables standalone mode on 18i8 and 6i6
- Fixes problem where flash storage on units can become corrupted
- Fixes problem where Scarlett MixControl loses connection to units
- Fixes the cause of some blue screens when using USB 3.0 ports on certain systems
- "Control Panel" link in DAWs now opens Scarlett MixControl
- Fixes "Pad" graphics
- Fixes Dim switch functionality"

EDIT: Oops! Sorry. On re-reading, I guess it's the Scarlett 18i8 iPad Mappings file(s) you're looking for. If the MixControl v1.6.1 above doesn't provide them, you'll need to contact Focusrite Support.

Janushka

Post by Janushka » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:11 pm

Indeed i miss the 18i8 ipad mapping , and contacted focusrite.
They will see to set the mapping to the latest update of mixcontrol .
So in version 1.6.1.exe this is till now not available.
But they told that this mapping is not special needed, and you can set it manually in this mixcontrol .

But they forgot to tell how to manually set the ipad mappings exact in mixcontrol .

They gave a link to some small Youtube movie , which does not explane the settings fot the ipad .

From Focusrite support ;
[quote]

Hi Jan,

Thanks for letting us know, I'm glad to hear you have the Scarlett working as you want it to now. I will pass on your request for iPad mappings for the 18i8, but they are not really necessary as the routing can be done in mix control manually.

We do have a video that talks about the operation of mix control which may be of some use to you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRbAsXtPSLE.
..................................................................................................................................... The ipad 18i8 ipad mapping is what i need . That`s all . I only struggle with settings instead of making music .

Common focusrite, or Wavemachine labs Please, ....be more clear!! For Ipad users !

Jan (Holland)

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:07 pm

Jan,

I try to make Auria's functions as clear as possible, but keep in mind we have no control over how a USB interface implements their iPad compatibility. It's up to Focusrite to make this clear in their documentation.

Rim

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:23 pm

"Paging Katherine Kaplan... paging Katherine Kaplan!" :D