Playing along with a recorded track

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

wvwisniewski

Playing along with a recorded track

Post by wvwisniewski » Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:47 pm

I have a simple question but can't seem to figure it out myself. So I recorded a couple of tracks and want to add a third track. I arm the third track so I can adjust the volume level. Now, I want to rehearse what I want to record on the third track while I listen to the first two recorded tracks. Arm the third track, hit play but as soon as the recorded tracks start to play the 3rd track is no longer part of the mix.

seems the only way I can hear and play the 3rd track over the other tracks is when I am actually recording. Is there a way to just rehearse over the recorded tracks while the additional track is activated? Probably a simple answer but it is not obvious to me.

Thanks for your help.

Manimpretty
Expert

Re: Playing along with a recorded track

Post by Manimpretty » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:17 pm

You used to be able to, this changed in the latest update. If there is a way I haven't found it. I usually just hit record, set the levels then delete.
Brandon.

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:57 pm

Menu -> Settings -> Record Settings -> Auto Input Monitor:

"Automatically switches any record-enabled tracks to playback mode when not recording (i.e. during playback), then when recording armed tracks are switched to monitor the track’s input(s). When this feature is turned off record-enabled tracks will always monitor their inputs during both record and playback." (from the Auria User Guide).

When turned off, you need to manually remove the track's Rec Enable after recording, in order to playback the track. When turned on, the track is Rec dis-enabled automagically during playback but, as you've experienced, you can't monitor input during playback.

Phil999
Expert

Post by Phil999 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:22 pm

Manimpretty wrote:I usually just hit record, set the levels then delete.
that's what I did in the recent sessions, which I found a bit strange. Thank you Washboy for the tip with the Auto Input Monitor.

Auto Input Monitor should be off by default, in my opinion.

Manimpretty
Expert

Post by Manimpretty » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:35 am

Yeah man, thanks! That'll save some headaches.
Brandon.

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:04 pm

Phil999 wrote:...Auto Input Monitor should be off by default, in my opinion.
I think @Rim added this feature (and has it set on by default) because of the number of support requests from new users who were stumped by not being able to hear the playback of what they'd just recorded! :wink:

wvwisniewski

Post by wvwisniewski » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:50 pm

Washboy wrote:Menu -> Settings -> Record Settings -> Auto Input Monitor:

"Automatically switches any record-enabled tracks to playback mode when not recording (i.e. during playback), then when recording armed tracks are switched to monitor the track’s input(s). When this feature is turned off record-enabled tracks will always monitor their inputs during both record and playback." (from the Auria User Guide).

When turned off, you need to manually remove the track's Rec Enable after recording, in order to playback the track. When turned on, the track is Rec dis-enabled automagically during playback but, as you've experienced, you can't monitor input during playback.
Thanks for the information I thought I was asking a naive question but seems like a lot of users were stumped by this.

Phil999
Expert

Post by Phil999 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:03 pm

Washboy wrote:I think @Rim added this feature (and has it set on by default) because of the number of support requests from new users who were stumped by not being able to hear the playback of what they'd just recorded! :wink:
you're probably right with your assumption. On the other hand, it should be clear that a blinking record button may enable monitoring and prevent playback of that track.

Anyway, not important, now that we know how to set it up.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:37 am

The next Auria version will have a better/smarter implementation of this feature.

Rim

Zippydog
Expert

Post by Zippydog » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:57 pm

Rim wrote:The next Auria version will have a better/smarter implementation of this feature.

Rim
YAY!
This one has vexed me more than once (I'm a slow learner).

RobB
Expert

Post by RobB » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:54 pm

Rim wrote:The next Auria version will have a better/smarter implementation of this feature.

Rim
Just on a similar topic: is there any chance of a record arm button in the channel strip next to the fader, above the mute and solo buttons?
This would mean a quick tap on Fx button then record arm/disarm without going to the mixer or having to expand the tracks to get at the record button in track view.

Rob
iPad Air / 128 | iOS 7.1 | Apogee Duet | Auria 1.14 | Cubasis 1.7.2
Learning to play drums

Manimpretty
Expert

Post by Manimpretty » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:56 am

RobB wrote:
Just on a similar topic: is there any chance of a record arm button in the channel strip next to the fader, above the mute and solo buttons?
This would mean a quick tap on Fx button then record arm/disarm without going to the mixer or having to expand the tracks to get at the record button in track view.

Rob

Agreed
Brandon.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:33 am

Good idea. I'll add to the wishlist.

Rim