Auria doesn't detect inputs when using the 3.5mm on ipad

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

fire8245

Auria doesn't detect inputs when using the 3.5mm on ipad

Post by fire8245 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:30 am

Hello all, I'm really new to this and looking for some guidance. I have a MXL V87 Condenser plugged into a Behringer Eurorack UB 1202 mixer which is not usb capable. I've tried several different ways to connect the mixer to my ipad. ex: "phones port" on mixer to ipad's 3.5mm headphone jack with a mic cable. And, "RCA out" from mixer to 30-pin adapter. Regardless what I try, the on board mic on the ipad will not disengage. Is there a setting that I need to select on Auria or do I need to do some hardware purchasing, and if so what? Thanks!

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Auria doesn't detect inputs when using the 3.5mm on ipad

Post by Rim » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:33 pm

iPads don't have an external analog input. Years ago, it was possible to do this with an ipad, via a 30 pin to analog input cable, but this is a thing of the past. The only way to get audio in through the headphone jack is by fooling the iPad that you're using a headset mic. It requires using a special plug (2 ring), a resistor and some circuitry to remove the voltage on that extra pin. Even so, the input is only mono, and there's a lot of crosstalk.

Rim

martygras
Expert

Re: Auria doesn't detect inputs when using the 3.5mm on ipad

Post by martygras » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:37 pm

Might I recommend the Griffin Studio Connect. It is on extreme sale right now at SweetWater, and GC will price-match if they have any in stock.
The Studio Connect has a 1/4" guitar input, and an 1/8" stereo input jack. The guitar input is mono and the 1/8" jack is stereo (line level). You can use either the 1/4" or the 1/8", but not at the same time.
The 1/8" jack is ideal for the outputs of your mixer if you have the right Y-cable.
It also has midi in and out.
Marty Schulte [I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
iPad AIR(128), Akai EIE, Akai EWI USB, illudium q-36 explosive space modulator
Head First Audio (live sound for Southern Oregon, USA)