Focusrite audio interfaces

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Jcyrus

Focusrite audio interfaces

Post by Jcyrus » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:16 am

So I'm seriously looking to buy this daw to go with my iPad air. Unfortunately right now I have a Saffire pro 40 interface. Does anybody know why this will not work with an iPad? I was thinking about buying either the Scarlet 18i8 or the 18i20 and using the Saffire pro ADAT out in standalone mode to add 8 more XlR inputs. Will this work? What's monitoring like with these interfaces? Does the headphone bus work the same as with a PC setup?

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Focusrite audio interfaces

Post by Rim » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:22 am

Only Scarlett interfaces work, as far as I know.

Rim

JohnInBoston

Post by JohnInBoston » Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:12 am

I use a Scarlett 18i6 with Auria and it works great. I regularly hook it up to the ADAT outs from a Mackie TT24 mixer to get 8 additional inputs and it works perfectly, recording 16 channels of live performance at 48k. Just have to make sure the sample rate settings match on both devices. I think that as far as the Scarlett is concerned, ADAT is ADAT, so you should be able to connect your Saffire to it in the same way, as a slave to the Scarlett, then connect Scarlett to iPad.

With regard to the headphone bus, my biggest complaint with the Scarlett is that it can only be configured from a PC/Mac through the Focusrite Mix Control app -- there is no iPad app for changing the routing -- but that being said, you can configure the main outs and headphone outs as independent channels, then use Output routing in Auria to send the signals you want to each. In this way, you can use Auria as a live mixer, but the latency is a little higher than a modern digital desk.

John

Katherine_Focusrite
Expert

Post by Katherine_Focusrite » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:57 pm

Hi Jcyrus,

The iPads do not have any support for Firewire so you cannot connect your Firewire Saffire interface to it using the Firewire ports. USB Firewire Adapters never work well for audio, and even if they did the iPad would not be able to load the required drivers to run a Saffire, as it is not a Class Compliant Device.

You are able to set it up in Standalone mode to use with a Scarlett via ADAT, as you were asking.

We have a guide on setting up Standalone mode here: http://us.focusrite.com/answerbase/how- ... alone-mode

You could also use this setup to connect the Pro 40 to any other interface with an ADAT port from any brand.

Please let me know if there is anything we can do to assist you.

You are welcome to contact us directly for faster service: http://us.focusrite.com/answerbase/contact

Best regards.
Katherine Kaplan // Focusrite Technical Support

http://www.focusrite.com/answerbase/en/

MikeDee
Expert

Post by MikeDee » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:29 am

@Katherine Kaplan, I had suggested via email and phone that Focusrite release an iOS version of the Mix Control software.

This app need not be as elaborate as the PC version...all that would be required is to save a selected mapping to hardware; therefore, the app's footprint would be quite small. (The mapping files will have been transferred previously to the iPad via iTunes or iFunBox.)

As a result, the PC will no longer be required to save desired mappings to the iPad. Please give this request serious thought; it will add significant value to the Scarlett line of interfaces.

Thanks and regards,

Mike E. Dee
Palmatic Music (BMI)

MikeDee
Expert

Post by MikeDee » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:40 pm

UPDATE: My question was posted in the Scarlett 18i8 topic (thread) as well and was answered by Kathleen (see the following). My thanks to her! :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Scarlett 18i8
by Katherine_Focusrite » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:48 pm

Thanks Mike!

We do have a list of customers who have inquired about this Feature Request. I will make sure your name is on it.

Best regards.