How to get BASS sound from guitar?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

gjcyrus
Expert

How to get BASS sound from guitar?

Post by gjcyrus » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:00 pm

Hi all, I've been searching on youtube for an answer but can't find it. I'd like to play my guitar into auria but record a BASS guitar sound. When I use Positive grid bias or just Jamup, it sounds like a GUITAR being played thru a bass amp, NOT a bass guitar.

I also have Ifretless but not sure if I can actually play my guitar thru that as I don't want to be playing my ipad for a few songs and need the feel of an actual bass guitar.

Thanks in advance!

martygras
Expert

Re: How to get BASS sound from guitar?

Post by martygras » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:29 pm

Correct, a bass plays notes an octave lower or more depending on which tuning you choose to play at. Many people try to emulate the bass by using a guitar effect called a transposer or also an "Octaver".
Jamup has a "Whammy" pedal that does this too. (IAP)

To be honest, the best bass tone will come from an actual bass. Bass is an extremely fun instrument to play too.

The app called Guitarism is a great acoustic guitar strumming and picking app, but allows for the notes to be passed to a bass synth via midi (IAP). You could play the line or chord into Guitarism and have that trigger a bass sound in Garageband or similar synth.
Marty Schulte [I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
iPad AIR(128), Akai EIE, Akai EWI USB, illudium q-36 explosive space modulator
Head First Audio (live sound for Southern Oregon, USA)

gjcyrus
Expert

Post by gjcyrus » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:55 pm

Hey thanks for the info Marty!

Yeah, I was hoping there was a way to get the actual strumming "feel" recorded (not just pushing an ipad screen) but also getting the nice bass guitar "tone" of say a fender musicmaster or stingray running thru an ampeg.

I was also suggested on another forum looking into a audio to midi converter which sounds like your Guitarism idea so will give that a go.

Thanks again!

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:56 pm

Those audio to midi devices require that you play very clean and accurate for best midi result, and the one's that work well are expensive. Guitarism is an app where you strum the strings on the screen while selecting the chord to play with another finger. It works quite well too.

Playing the Garageband basses through midi is going to be the least expensive way to do this for what you want to do.

You could borrow a friends bass though if you have that good of a friend. :wink:

BlackBox
Expert

Post by BlackBox » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:33 pm

You can midi it with ThumJam and it has real Bass samples. Here is a video but I don't know if it has much relevance now with IA capability http://youtu.be/ULRZ_WZJvdI

vejichan
Expert

Post by vejichan » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:35 pm

i want to do the same thing. What's the closest to simulating a bass guitar sound?

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:36 am

Has anyone tried Retune on a guitar track to lower the notes an octave?
I don't have Retune yet.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:15 am

ReTune only works on vocals. It "might" work on a guitar, but it's not designed to do that.

Rim

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:32 am

Hey man, we don't need your RULES man. :wink:

It's amazing what new sounds are coming out of experimentation with audio effects like Turnado and Meteor and...

mrufino1
Expert

Post by mrufino1 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:54 pm

Go to rondo music's website, buy an sx bass, and learn to play. Not only will it sound the most like a bass, but you'll be instantly become the nerdiest, but most important and most consistently employed member of the band. ;-) (written by a bassist)

Remnant60

Post by Remnant60 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:42 pm

mrufino1 wrote:Go to rondo music's website, buy an sx bass, and learn to play. Not only will it sound the most like a bass, but you'll be instantly become the nerdiest, but most important and most consistently employed member of the band. ;-) (written by a bassist)
Bwahaha! I got more work once I picked up a bass than I did in the first 15 years of playing guitar...
Seriously though, pick up a cheap bass and use whatever amp modeling app you have. The results will
be much better (although using Octaver and/or the other apps sound like fun to mess around with)