Which inapp or add on is usefull for recording?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

vejichan
Expert

Which inapp or add on is usefull for recording?

Post by vejichan » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:09 am

I only bought overloud thm..but I have no clue about the other stuff in the auria store. Which add on or purchases from the auria store do u think is helpful for recording ?

Jus
Expert

Re: Which inapp or add on is usefull for recording?

Post by Jus » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:18 pm

Hi What are your recording plans
guitar
Any vocals
Will you be recording multi tracks at once it's just there are a few plugs that are very useful for different things 8)

gjcyrus
Expert

Post by gjcyrus » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:51 pm

Well for mixing I'd say pro-q. One of the biggest things that helped my mixes was learning how to sweep the frequency spectrum for each track to find the "sweet spot" to give a tiny bump but then also using subtractive eq to get rid of any unneeded frequencies (ex.low end frequencies for hi hats, guitars, keyboard and higher frequencies on kick, bass, etc. ) Gives your mixes and tracks more breathing room and space when each instrument has it's own space. Unless you've only got a few instruments and tracks, I've found this generally helps. Pro-Q makes it easier to do.

Ericd921
Expert

Post by Ericd921 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:44 pm

Gjcyrus is right about ProQ, it's pretty much my go-to EQ because it's easy to use, surgically precise, and doesn't drain on CPU resources. PSP oldtimer is a great classic style compressor, and I also really like FXpansion BusComp, I've been using it more and more for my general compression needs, both on individual tracks as well as subgroups. It's got a classic sound, easy to use, and really ties things together. Microwarmer is great for giving some warmth to tracks by adding a little tape saturation. I find that it gives life to the tracks because it cuts back on the digital sound quality and makes it a bit more organic. Classic Verb Pro is a must-have plugin too, it expands on Classic Verb by offering a few more tweakable settings to help you dial in your reverb just right, and it's pretty light on the CPU. These recommendations are a great start, IMHO.

If you're really getting into some upper-level mixes and need to dig in deep, all of the FabFilter plugins (ProC, ProL, ProDS, ProG) are amazing! The graphical interfaces are really helpful and the plugins themselves are very intuitive. A word of caution, though...they tend to use more CPU resources so you have to be mindful of freezing your tracks or else you may get bogged down. I find these plugins to be really useful especially for mastering purposes.
Eric

Peanutcram
Expert

Post by Peanutcram » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:26 am

Are there recommendations/ experiences on inapp for Recording vocals and guitar (not necessarily multitrack)?
Is it worth buying the inapp jamup pro if I have the original app already? Inapp cost 20 - regular 10 bucks...

vejichan
Expert

Post by vejichan » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:02 am

Thanks for the advice. I play metal and rock music. Instrumental so no vocals.. What inapp stuff would help in my style of music?

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:13 pm

You don't really NEED any of the add-on effects.
They basically function the same way the delays, reverbs, eq's and compressors that are provided already, but they offer a nicer interface which allows for more control over some parameters.

For example:
Pro-Q is a great EQ. What makes it special is how quickly you can use the visual interface to fix frequency problems. That time savings can be really important when working on lots of tracks.

Other effects like Volcano or Saturn are for adding some awesome groove effects and they allow you to affect the tone (filter) rhythmically.
Marty Schulte [I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
iPad AIR(128), Akai EIE, Akai EWI USB, illudium q-36 explosive space modulator
Head First Audio (live sound for Southern Oregon, USA)

supanorton
Expert

Post by supanorton » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:51 pm

Microwarmer is GREAT on electric guitars as well as just about everything else.

vejichan
Expert

Post by vejichan » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:12 pm

also i need advice on this. I don't have a bass guitar and have gotten away with using my guitar with a pitch shift in reaper on the PC to simulate a bass guitar. is there anything in app stuff that can do this?