Earphones not headphones for mixing?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

vejichan
Expert

Earphones not headphones for mixing?

Post by vejichan » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:27 am

What comfortable earphones do u guys recommend for mixing and music?

Tarekith
Expert

Re: Earphones not headphones for mixing?

Post by Tarekith » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:05 am

I like my Shure SE425's for portable music making. Not sure I'd totally trust ANY earphone for serious mixing, but in use I've been surprised how close I've gotten with the 425's when I listen back on the studio monitors.

vejichan
Expert

Post by vejichan » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:10 am

299$ for those earphones. I could buy the auria app and almost all the add-on's instead... does anybody know any good earphones for listening to music/mixing etc for less than 100$?

ChrisG
Expert

Post by ChrisG » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:26 pm

Edit: I read it as "headphones not earphones"...So no need to read the things below
------

It's been a quite a few years now since I used somewhat decent setup for my music productions (all the stuff except the iOS things on my soundcloud are things i just been digging up from the old archives). Now I'm just mostly doodlin around with iOS music, and I'm living in an apartment where a loud fart will get the neighbor crazy. Anyway, last month I decided to look for a pair of new really cheap headphones, max 40-50 bucks, that would still work somewhat decent as both "reference" and typical end user plugs/phones. And after some research I eventually ended up buying a pair of AKG K518 DJ headphones (around $40-50). I know, "DJ" , but read on..

Now, that AKG model just sucks as reference, it is super bass-ey and cuts out A LOT of the mid to high frequencies. But, rip out the inner filter with your fingers and voila! You got yourself a much much higher-end pair of headphones. That filter in the K518 is designed to completely cut topping mid to high frequencies while letting through all the bass, resulting in it actually adding a lot of low end bass frequencies, which is great for a regular user (plus cutting out these particular higher freqs protects users ears). Anyway, rip that filter out and you'll get a much much more even sound spectrum, much less low end muddy bass, and no cutting out mid/higher freqs. The sound difference in quality is just day and night. You can google up some charts showing the difference. Amazing how much a few mm thick filter can alter the sound spectrum that much. So those are definitely an alternative worth checking out if you're looking for sub 100 bucks headphones. Not super comfortable though, if that's a priority.

I'm sure there are other low budget consumer headphones where you do these lite modifications and suddenly have a pair of high(ish)-end plugs in your hands, but AKG have been in the game quite long tho so..

gjcyrus
Expert

Post by gjcyrus » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:51 pm

Wow great tip ChrisG! Thanks!

I've been using some sony MDR 7506 for years and it actually has the opposite effect of adding high end that ultimately ends up missing in the final mix unless I compensate.

chuen

Post by chuen » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:50 pm

earphones for mixing? hmmm ...
I use KRK kns 6400 but anyway you cannot predict mix dynamics before you check on powerfull soundsystem

drock
Expert

Post by drock » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:54 pm

Well, at least for recording loud, live instruments, I use some nice Klipsch IMAGE S4 earbuds. They do great and aren't expensive at all. I wouldn't use them solely as a mixing monitor system but maybe test them out here and there as your mixes progress.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:11 am

If you mix your music in a non treated room, any mix you do could be off on certain frequencies. Therefore in a situation like this a good pair of headphones can save your mix. For affordable headphones AKG make some very nice ones starting as low as $45 for the K77. They are pretty comfortable. Are you having mixing issues or just looking for a more comfortable headphone? Cheers.

mrufino1
Expert

Post by mrufino1 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:04 am

If you can't hear what you're doing, buying all the add ons for auria will not help you one bit. I highly suggest you buy the best pair of headphones you can afford. Yes, mixing on any headphones is not ideal, but if you're going to do it, don't save money there so you can buy plugins, good headphones would be far more important. Are the plugins good? Yes. So are the plugins that come with it.
I have sony 7506 headphones, which are not necessarily "the best" but are a standard pair of studio headphones. I got them in 2004 and am still using the same pair, with new ear pads as of a few months ago. I know them really well and considering I've used them almost every day since 2004, I'd say it was a great investment.
For the record, I do own some of the optional plugins.

mrufino1
Expert

Post by mrufino1 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:09 am

In response to a post above about the 7506, check this out, it will help with that high end issue. Now that I have pro-q I need to remember to put this on my master bus, like I do in reaper. Just remember to bypass it when you render your mix! ( ask me how I learned that...)
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/cd ... #post46352

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:16 am

Just a shameless plug for our video contest - there are some really great headphones in the prize packages, and right now we only have three entries, so your chances are excellent at winning at least one of them.

http://auriaapp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11255

Rim

Ericd921
Expert

Post by Ericd921 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:13 pm

I got a pair of KRK KNS8400 headphones a few months ago, and I absolutely love them! They are very flat, and they've really helped me dial in my mixes especially when I A/B them with my KRK Rokit 8 monitors. Not cheap headphones by any means ($150 on Amazon) but multiple reviews for them said they rival headphones that cost five times as much, and I would have to agree! They sound phenomenal, and are very comfortable for extended wear. I highly recommend them! And I agree with mrufino1...Auria and all its plugins are awesome, but it's all for nothing if you can't hear your mixes. If you can't afford monitors, at least spend some money on a good set of cans. It will make all the difference! Check out the KRKs, they sound amazing and won't break the bank.
Eric

donratto
Expert

Post by donratto » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:42 am

For what it's worth, I've heard good things about the Focal Spirit Pro's.

anitapaul001

Post by anitapaul001 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:33 am

Obviously earphones are not headphones for mixing, thats two different gadgets for listening musics, I do use samsung one, cool and amazing bass comes with it, You can try it.
Want to buy some cool headphones?, try these best headphones under 1000, all the best!