AAF export: exporting PAN automation as VOLUME

For bug reports only - non-bug related questions will be moved to appropriate forum.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

geniusjones

AAF export: exporting PAN automation as VOLUME

Post by geniusjones » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:30 am

Both Logic 9 and ProTools 10 see the exported PAN information as VOLUME information/ Sadly this makes AAF export useless for me, as I have PAN and VOLUME automation in my Auria Session :cry:

Rim
Site Admin

Re: AAF export: exporting PAN automation as VOLUME

Post by Rim » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:09 am

Do you mean an exported aaf file generated from Auria? Auria doesn't export pan information into the aaf. I just checked the code. It only looks at volume automation when doing the export.

Rim

lingyai

Post by lingyai » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:47 pm

Rim wrote:Do you mean an exported aaf file generated from Auria? Auria doesn't export pan information into the aaf. I just checked the code. It only looks at volume automation when doing the export.

Rim

Hi, sorry, new to the forum (as well as to Auria, and ios for that matter). A key thing for which I'd like to use the new iPad 2 I've been given is creating a mix from different audio files (pre-recorded elsewhere, i.e. on my PC) using automation envelopes. For example, making a single composite vocal from many different vocal takes. The idea is to do this time-intensive task on something portable, i.e. the iPad, wherever I happen to be when I have free time for it, and then when done, render the composite as a WAV or AAF file which I'd then import into my main (PC-based) DAW.

Therefore the Auria product page's screenshot with automation envelopes, and the claims that Aurtia offers "Full automation support on all controls with graphical editing" really caught my interest.

But if I understand correctly, "all controls" aren't in fact supported, as you point out that pan automation doesn't make it into the mix. Well, I don't see the point of drawing in pan envelopes if they don't make it into the exported mix; I'm not interested in having a mix which I can only play from within Auria on my iPad. That would drastically limit my audience.

So... have I understood correctly -- in fact no pan information gets exported? If so,

-- that would be a real drawback; volume and panning are the most common "FX" I use and automate

-- it raises the question whether there are any other controls where Auria's automation envelopes do not in fact work? (Sorry, I had understood "all controls" to mean all).

I'd be grateful for any advice.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:05 pm

This only applies to AAF exporting. Auria supports automation an all parameters internally - even plugin parameters are automatable, but only volume automation makes it into an AAF file. The reason for this is simple - AAF doesn't support it. The AAF standard only supports volume and pan automation. Pan automation is something that was added later in the spec, but no DAWs support it.

Rim

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:32 pm

I suspect that @lingyai is confusing AAF and AIF files.
...render the composite as a WAV or AAF file which I'd then import into my main (PC-based) DAW...

lingyai

Post by lingyai » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:02 pm

Washboy wrote:I suspect that @lingyai is confusing AAF and AIF files.
...render the composite as a WAV or AAF file which I'd then import into my main (PC-based) DAW...
You suspect correctly -- sorry for my naive mistake, as I said, I'm from a Windows background.

What I'm really asking is, could I export to WAV or AIF, and have that reflect the panning automation?

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:25 pm

lingyai wrote:What I'm really asking is, could I export to WAV or AIF, and have that reflect the panning automation?
Take a look at the 'Menu -> Mixdown' dialog (pg. 79/80 of the Auria User Guide). I think it will tell you want to know. I suspect you'll be wanting to mixdown to stems ;)

Hope that helps a little.

lingyai

Post by lingyai » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:47 pm

Washboy wrote:
lingyai wrote:What I'm really asking is, could I export to WAV or AIF, and have that reflect the panning automation?
Take a look at the 'Menu -> Mixdown' dialog (pg. 79/80 of the Auria User Guide). I think it will tell you want to know. I suspect you'll be wanting to mixdown to stems ;)

Hope that helps a little.
That did indeed answer the question of what file formats I can export to -- thanks. So, just to be sure, panning or any other automation will be captured in the exported files, yes?

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:03 pm

lingyai wrote:...So, just to be sure, panning or any other automation will be captured in the exported files, yes?...
Yes. Don't just take my word for it though - make a small test project and prove it for yourself :D

lingyai

Post by lingyai » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:12 pm

Washboy wrote:
lingyai wrote:...So, just to be sure, panning or any other automation will be captured in the exported files, yes?...
Yes. Don't just take my word for it though - make a small test project and prove it for yourself :D
I'd be happy to try; the problem is, once it's unboxed, I lose the automatic right of return to Amazon. They won't accept a used product on the grounds that some 3rd party apps won't work.

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:24 pm

Sorry, lingyai. I forgot that you aren't up&running yet. I've also just read your lengthy post, over in the Audiobus forum and now have a far better idea where you're coming from.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:12 pm

No problem, I'l see if I can clear this up:

AAF is a project format. It allows you to take a complete Auria project and export it, so you can open the entire thing up in Pro Tools, Nuendo, etc.

AIF is an audio file format, like WAV and MP3.

When you export a mixdown in Auria, you can choose to export this as a WAV or an AIF, and yes - all the automation is used to create that mixdown.

Rim