iPad air ram usage and Auria

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

hselburn
Expert

iPad air ram usage and Auria

Post by hselburn » Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:48 pm

I've seen my ram and CPU maxed out in Auria on my iPad 3. And that was with a plugin or two per maybe 8 tracks when mixing the demo tracks. How is the experience going to be on the iPad air? Anyone know the answer yet? It's only been out for a day so.....

chuen

Re: iPad air ram usage and Auria

Post by chuen » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:26 pm

benchmark tests showing Air's 80% bump over iPad4 and much more CPU efficiency over iPad3
however, RAM amount is same 1Gb
http://www.primatelabs.com/images/blog/ ... air-mc.png

hselburn
Expert

Post by hselburn » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:47 pm

So Auria will run faster, more efficiently. Hoping the ram won't be an issue. I seem to recall (and correct me if I'm wrong) that virtual instruments were a possibility. If so, the ram could be an issue.

ChrisG
Expert

Post by ChrisG » Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:01 pm

If RAM was an issue for you on iPad 3/4, it will be an issue on the Air. 1GB of RAM is 1GB of RAM, the Air doesn't change that fact. If anything, the low RAM in the Air will be more of an issue with iOS 7 being more RAM hungry, 64bit applications will eat more RAM then the "older" 32bit versions etc..

And apps can only reside in the RAM on iOS devices, it doesn't use the NAND as temp storage like your computer if it runs out. When the RAM is getting full iOS will crash/close apps at random.

chuen

Post by chuen » Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:17 pm

I agree with ChrisG about RAM things... its strange Apple didn't double RAM amount in case of making 64bit...
also new IOS always offer new features (many of which is unnecessary for sound processing) eating RAM and CPU - because they rely on service daemons running in background..
I'm sill on iPad1
at the time Auria was out, I already knew uptating to ios5 will leave iPad1 with ~ 35 mb of free RAM...
Just to try, after updating I did jailbreak and deleted all unnecessary stuff, making like 120 mb of free RAM...
sounds funny, but if clever using Auria is working pretty stable and nice (thanks to snapshots system)
but InterAPP is big thing to get Air :) sure :)

hselburn
Expert

Post by hselburn » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:56 pm

I'm using a lot of plugins when mixing the approach (drumagog on snare, JamUp on all 3 guitars, the de-esser) and freezing tracks helps. Interestingly enough, freezing tracks sometimes shows less ram available after freezing. I've had as little as 80 to 90mb left today. One max CPU warning but freezing tracks fixed that. Not so bad. I'm hoping I don't have to return the air due to no increase of ram. Due to my finances, it will be a long time before I could afford another iPad, if ever, so I'm hoping for the best. I am going to have a Mac mini running Logic Pro x within months so I'm not out of luck. I'd like both to work together though. Maybe I'm going for overkill. I am going to give the Mac running Logic 16GB:) no issues for ram there, or there shouldn't be. I'm sure wavemachinelabs is on top of it though. Just don't make it use too much ram Rim! :)

mrufino1
Expert

Post by mrufino1 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:28 pm

My ipad air is running auria fantastically. It is smooth and the CPU is nowhere near maxed out.

noreen

Post by noreen » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:00 pm

Its new feature and look is awesome its 5 times more better then last ipad. what do you think?