Ipad 2 memory problems/stuttering/slowdowns with Auria.

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

EtRa

Ipad 2 memory problems/stuttering/slowdowns with Auria.

Post by EtRa » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:45 pm

I have been having memory problems/stuttering/slowdown problems with my Ipad 2. I have no other apps running besides the one for my music. With the 512 megs of memory what apps will run smoothly/nicely with Auria? I have some of the newest synths running out of memory or having stuttering problems. For example Nave seems to be one of the worst ones. Also I am trying to use Audiobus and that seems to really be a memory hog as well. Maybe we should make a list of what runs well with what doesn't so we can be happier with what we can do with Auria. Also this list should be related to the version of Ipad because each version is a bit different with processor and memory. I will be getting the Ipad 5 and hopefully this will resolve all my problems.

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Ipad 2 memory problems/stuttering/slowdowns with Auria.

Post by Rim » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:39 am

If you're getting stuttering issues when running other apps, I recommend increasing the record buffer size in Auria's settings. Creating a list like that sounds very useful, but pretty difficult to maintain, since apps are constantly being updated, so their memory footprint changes from version to version. it would be a moving target. Have you enabled Audiobus mode in Auria's settings as well? Are you using these apps as IAA plugins?

Rim

trupro
Expert

Post by trupro » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:06 pm

I am very suprised you can even record a synth internally via audiobus...

-With my iPad 2, i was able to record 5 tracks of drums for a full kit, at 44.1, with a stereo track running as reference.
-When i kicked up to 96K, i got anomolies and insane audio artifacts.
-Was not able to record any synths via audiobus without serious delay

Sold it, bought an iPad 4, waaaaaay better.

good luck

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:42 pm

Some other things to try (for CPU or stuttering issues):

- Disable AUX delay compensation
- Disable 64 bit mixer mode
- Make sure your projects are always 44100

Rim

peteT
Expert

Post by peteT » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:59 pm

I have very occasionally had stuttering since latest version. It is sometimes not the recording but the playback just after making a recording. I found in many instances that if I closed and reopened Auria and turned the Audio Interface on and off that the recording played back with no problem. In that instance it would appear that it was a memory issue on stopping the recording which prevented playback.

Worth checking.

Using ipad 2 and focusrite 18i6 here.

Phil999
Expert

Post by Phil999 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:25 pm

trupro wrote: -With my iPad 2, i was able to record 5 tracks of drums for a full kit, at 44.1, with a stereo track running as reference.
-When i kicked up to 96K, i got anomolies and insane audio artifacts.
not sure if this applies to your case, but in general: recording at 44.1kHz creates audio files at that sampling rate. Playing back those files at a different sampling rate, be it 32, 48, 88.2, 96, or higher, results in different pitch and artifacts. This is the case with all digital recording. This is also the reason why good DAW's ask to convert imported audio files to the current sampling rate if they don't match the project setting. Even in the tape recording days one had to label the reel at what speed it was recorded.

EtRa

Post by EtRa » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:10 pm

Well I tried and found by disabling all microphone inputs to all apps I found I have ceased to have a problem. I can even record 2 different synths at the same time through audiobus. I will try more. :) I did try Rim's ideas as well but killing the microphone seems to be the first thing that seems to solve the problem. I don't know why.

EtRa

Post by EtRa » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:34 pm

Well I topped out at 2 apps for now and they were Nave and Thor. They worked well together but as soon as i added Imini it all went to hell. :) No memory problems but lots of stuttering and then Audiobus crashed. Way happier though now, so far asI don't have the memory or stuttering problems. I will just have to keep control of app usage. I would assume other pairs of synths should work together as well. I am going to try drums and synth together in real time recording. :)

supanorton
Expert

Post by supanorton » Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:06 pm

EtRa wrote:Well I tried and found by disabling all microphone inputs to all apps I found I have ceased to have a problem. I can even record 2 different synths at the same time through audiobus. I will try more. :) I did try Rim's ideas as well but killing the microphone seems to be the first thing that seems to solve the problem. I don't know why.
Are you referring to the microphones in the iPad privacy settings? I tried turning all of the mics off except Auria's and saw no difference in the memory meter.

EtRa

Post by EtRa » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:44 am

Yes, the microphones in the privacy settings. I turned all of them off including Aurias's. Try turning off Auria's as well.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:00 am

Just keep in mind if you turn off the Microphone under the privacy settings, you won't be able to use any USB devices with Auria. It's called "microphone", but it really refers to all input devices, including USB.

Rim

Alexo

Post by Alexo » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:53 am

Guys, I'm really worried... I'd like to buy Auria, but my iPad is a iPad mini (1st generation, bought 2 months ago)... so, as I know, with the same CPU and RAM of the iPad2 (can someone confirm it?)... so I'm worried to meet the same problems... maybe better to use a lighter DAW on it?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:57 am

Most problems you see in this forum are rare. An iPad 2 or Mini should have no issues recording and playing up to 48 tracks if you don't add a lot of effects and use external audio apps.

Rim