Auria introduces Inter-app Audio support!

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

actualproof
Expert

Re: Auria introduces Inter-app Audio support!

Post by actualproof » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:20 pm

Rim wrote:It will work just like plugins. When you want to add some EQ to a synth track, just insert an EQ inter-app on the synth track. The only limitation right now is they only allow you one instance of a particular interapp plugin at a time. So if you already have a particular kind inserted somewhere else, it'll get removed when you add the second one.

Rim

In the YouTube video, you have two instances of Nave running... on separate tracks. So, if the plug-in, or "inter-app audio", has already been recorded on another track, you can use it again? The only limitation is not allowing for multiple instances on the SAME track?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:38 am

No, when you try to insert a second instance, the previous instance unloads automatically.

Rim

actualproof
Expert

Post by actualproof » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:43 am

Rim wrote:No, when you try to insert a second instance, the previous instance unloads automatically.

Rim
I understand; however, it does allow you to use it again on another track, so long as there's only one instance at a time. For example, in the video - you used Nave to record a little vi IV I V segment, then went to track 2 and used Nave again with a different patch loaded. Since you had already recorded Nave on track 1, using it again on track 2 is allowable, because it's not two instances at the same time... It's one track of recorded audio and one track using Nave (again) but not two instances of Nave running at the same time, correct?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:54 am

Yes, that's exactly right. Only one instance is allowed in the entire project at any time. So you could use Nave, for example as many times as you like, as long as there's only one inserted at a time.

Rim

Shay
Expert

Post by Shay » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:21 am

Will it save the preset you played on each track or will you need to choose it again before recording another take?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:39 am

There's no preset or parameter support in inter-app audio. Also, no automation. You need to reset your settings every time you use it, unfortunately. We'll see if Apple adds this at some point. It would be a simple thing for them to do.

Rim

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:12 am

Rim wrote:It's very useful for playing instrument apps into Auria, since you'd usually be playing one instance at a time. And for effects, you can have as many effect interapps in your project as you like (memory permitted), but they only allow one instance of each at a time.

I would expect this standard to keep expanding (adding automation, presets, multiple instances).

Rim
Last night, using an iPad2 in an Alesis IO Dock, I had 2 vocals, DM1(externally triggered through midi), ThumbJam (external midi keys) all going live into MT DAW via Audiobus. All working very well.
How is IAA going to benefit me? What will it give me extra?
Keep in mind I skipped my coffee this morning.
Marty Schulte [I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
iPad AIR(128), Akai EIE, Akai EWI USB, illudium q-36 explosive space modulator
Head First Audio (live sound for Southern Oregon, USA)

giku

Post by giku » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:13 pm

Rim: Are you sure the presets functionality is not supported? It's a regular AudioUnit and this property is defined in API.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:51 pm

They're not exactly regular audio units, they're a new hybrid kind of audio unit called a remote audio unit. I haven't found any mention from Apple that parameters are supported. If you've heard or seen anything different please let me know.

Rim

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:30 pm

rau rau, sis-boom-bah.

If it wasn't Rim telling us this I would say remote audio units sounds like BS. :wink:

Hopefully we don't have to worry much about this format. I just started learning about AAF format. Jeez, I'm always one format brhind.
Marty Schulte [I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
iPad AIR(128), Akai EIE, Akai EWI USB, illudium q-36 explosive space modulator
Head First Audio (live sound for Southern Oregon, USA)

giku

Post by giku » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:28 am

RIM: They are exactly AudioUnits (like on OsX) since RemoteAudioUnit is AudioUnit (inherited C++ class). But damn... presets property is not yet supported, I hope it will be very soon. It's a crucial part of revolution.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:35 am

What you're seeing in that video is midi controller messages being passed through inter-app. This is possible, but doesn't apply to audio effect parameters.

Let's see what Apple comes up with in an update.

Rim

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:56 am

giku, the audio unit that's used in inter-app appears to be used only to redirect the RemoteIO audio from one app to another. They combine this with a collection of other methods to do things like control the transport, get the musicalTime info, etc. These aren't part of the audio unit spec. The audio unit in this case is only used for the actual transport of audio. Who knows how they'll expand this in the future, but I hope they do adopt the standard AU function calls.

FYI, for any developers interested, we started an inter-app developers group:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum ... pers-group

Might be good to keep this thread more general and discuss anything technical there for any developers interested.

Rim

Dalibongy

Post by Dalibongy » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:56 am

I would like to use garageband instrument in auria . Garageband shows up on the output of audiobus 1.0.2.4 but not in the input . Does anyone knows if is there a way to get garaband in the input of audiobus .Auria shows up in the input but not garageband why ???
This is my first post .
Thanks for answering

supanorton
Expert

Post by supanorton » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:17 am

Dalibongy wrote:I would like to use garageband instrument in auria . Garageband shows up on the output of audiobus 1.0.2.4 but not in the input . Does anyone knows if is there a way to get garaband in the input of audiobus .Auria shows up in the input but not garageband why ???
This is my first post .
Thanks for answering
Apple didn't add support for the output of AudioBus. I'm sure there are a host of excellent reasons why, but I'm not privy to them. You can record in GarageBand and export your tracks via email to use in Auria.