The "Auria Wishlist Thread"

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

ZenLizard
Expert

Re: The "Auria Wishlist Thread"

Post by ZenLizard » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:22 am

Ditto to that! I want my drums to fit my songs — instead of having to make my songs fit to the loops. I tried using loops a long, long time ago but that's what I always ran into. Accents weren't where I needed them and such, not to mention just having to search though all those damn loops in the hope of finding ones that work in each part and transition — no thanks. Way better to record/sequence them myself. IMO. I just wish there was a top notch MIDI sequencer or piano roll inside Auria that I could use to trigger Drumagog, instead of having to import or record the tracks from another app or apps (or my piece of crap acoustic set with my crappy drumming skills) and then use the resulting audio to run Drumagog. I still don't know if that is something that will be coming to Auria, but it would definitely be nice. :)
— Can you hum a few bars? —

donovanjaymz
Expert

Post by donovanjaymz » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:27 am

So today Auria is on sale for 50% off. I haven't bought it yet because I'm waiting for full MIDI sequencing implementation including SysEx and CC messages so I can work with hardware synths. RIM, can you update us on the timeline for full MIDI implementation? Should I buy it now and park the app temporarily until there's an upgrade soon or will it take longer than a year from now.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:26 pm

Hopefully it'll take less than a year, but I can't really say. I'm not working on a schedule ;)

Rim

Geronimo
Expert

Post by Geronimo » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:12 am

Oh yeah, flexible fx routing :)

syrupcore
Expert

Post by syrupcore » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:31 pm

Yes please @geronimo! I'm greedy: want more aux sends and the ability to route a channel to more than one bus. Want the aux channels to be full channels so that I can stick an EQ or compressor in before say a reverb.

Br8zinn
Expert

Post by Br8zinn » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:00 am

Auto tune...

ZenLizard
Expert

Post by ZenLizard » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:16 am

@Br8zinn —

Do you mean in addition to the auto tune style plugin already available? Or do you mean THE AutoTune by Antares? Or something else entirely?
— Can you hum a few bars? —

syrupcore
Expert

Post by syrupcore » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:56 pm

I think this may have been requested before but I'd really appreciate ripple editing.

Geronimo
Expert

Post by Geronimo » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:11 am

Regarding MIDI: I've just been trying to compose something with Genome MIDI again, but the interface
and the workflow is just such a torture, it's not even funny.

So, if you need a good example of how NOT to do certain things, please have a deeper look at Genome MIDI.

Well, i don't actually want to diss Genome here, because it certainly has it's use and many people out there seem
to like it. But some parts of the design are definitely flawed and, quite frankly, a pain to use...

I could go into deeper detail, but i'm not sure whether that's really necessary, because it's obvious imo.

Would have a hard time to spend another 10 or 20 bucks for just another sequencer though ^^

Checkrath
Expert

Post by Checkrath » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:27 pm

Midi and drums..

Recently been collaborating with another musician that has a Pro tools studio. This has really highlighted how powerful our platform is as well as its shortcomings. Auria pretty much nails the audio even within the constraints of the ipad CPU, our synths are as good as any of the expensive desktop options and nothing beats jamup for a guitar sound. 

So midi sequencing and drums.. Still the gaping holes in our platform. I've reached a point where I've mostly avoid sequencing pain and rather just AB everything in. Also been playing around with superior drummer on desktop. Really wish we had something like that on ipad.. Hense this post in the wish list because Auria is in the best position to take us to the next level. No pressure Rim, just keep those updates coming :-)

Brainback

Post by Brainback » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:21 am

I don't know if this has been already discussed (the thread is quite long!), but here are my humble pleas:

- I would like to be able to completely "deactivate" a track, in a way that it doesn't use any ressource of my Ipad. Because, even if you mute a track, it continues to be a power hog.
Why would I like such an option?
Well, when you begin a mix after recording several tracks, you are always obliged to freeze nealy every track so you can add some plugins without overpowering the CPU. If muted tracks could be deactivated, it would be possible to make a quick "pre mix" keeping on (for example) just the drum and bass tracks without effects, and mixing one track at a time. It could be very useful to implement some basic EQ.

- Could you provide a "Freeze all tracks" button. Sometimes, in the final stage of mixing, freezing and unfreezing can become very repetitive. Well, with such an option, every time one goes for a little walk or a coffee, you would only have to push this button. And when you comme back, you'll just have to choose wich track you want to modify... on your frozen board!

- I still have some difficulties to understand the usefullness of the "Condense regions" option. Every time I use it I don't gain some space, I LOOSE a lot of space! I know that you want to keep in the background some copies of previous files, so we can revert to a past state of a mix. But is it really usefull if a simple 3mn track can finaly occupy 2 gigs on an Ipad? BTW: I use the Automatic clean-up option, but my projects just keep growing and growing, looking like dreadfull blobs ready to engulf all my memory! ;-)

- Last: why can't we manage ourselves the sound files contained in our projects? If we could erase files which are not in use - and that we KNOW we won't use anymore (there could be a marker saying used, unused, frozen, etc.) - why can't we delete them?

Thank you for your attention.
And a big bravo to the team! I work in the video production world and Auria allows me to hone my mixing skills, which needed an overhaul.
Thanks again!

neequo

Post by neequo » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:01 am

This is my short wishlist after few working days with Auria:

1. Stereo width controller on stereo tracks (or two pan knobs - even better, because this lets swapping left to right).
2. Allowing subgroup tracks route to another subgroups.
3. Deleting unused subgroup tracks.
4. Properly working external sidechain function (on DCAM BusComp this function not working at all).
5. More smooth and precision response on gestures (for example: changing track order is very difficult).
6. Retina display resolution.

metallo

Post by metallo » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:13 am

Don't know if already discussed before, but a tempo and measure change in the same track would really be useful.
I play in a rock prog band playng songs with very different tempo and measure changes and it would be great to record on auria programming the metronome.

sebastianbarria
Expert

Post by sebastianbarria » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:25 am

Brainback wrote:I don't know if this has been already discussed (the thread is quite long!), but here are my humble pleas:

- I would like to be able to completely "deactivate" a track, in a way that it doesn't use any ressource of my Ipad. Because, even if you mute a track, it continues to be a power hog.
Why would I like such an option?
Well, when you begin a mix after recording several tracks, you are always obliged to freeze nealy every track so you can add some plugins without overpowering the CPU. If muted tracks could be deactivated, it would be possible to make a quick "pre mix" keeping on (for example) just the drum and bass tracks without effects, and mixing one track at a time. It could be very useful to implement some basic EQ.

- Could you provide a "Freeze all tracks" button. Sometimes, in the final stage of mixing, freezing and unfreezing can become very repetitive. Well, with such an option, every time one goes for a little walk or a coffee, you would only have to push this button. And when you comme back, you'll just have to choose wich track you want to modify... on your frozen board!

- I still have some difficulties to understand the usefullness of the "Condense regions" option. Every time I use it I don't gain some space, I LOOSE a lot of space! I know that you want to keep in the background some copies of previous files, so we can revert to a past state of a mix. But is it really usefull if a simple 3mn track can finaly occupy 2 gigs on an Ipad? BTW: I use the Automatic clean-up option, but my projects just keep growing and growing, looking like dreadfull blobs ready to engulf all my memory! ;-)

- Last: why can't we manage ourselves the sound files contained in our projects? If we could erase files which are not in use - and that we KNOW we won't use anymore (there could be a marker saying used, unused, frozen, etc.) - why can't we delete them?
This is EXACTLY what I asked for... plus an option on the menu to "manually clean up project".
I think the biggest problem with the iPad is the memory manage... so it would be nice if there's an option to use less memory in drawing regions for example (there are times when I don't need to see the wave drawing perfectly, mostly on the mastering process)... Great idea the one of "deactivate" the track (could be some kind of "freezee" but without using memory).

Another idea is to make a "preview freezee" or something like that. Maybe that I could freezee just a region to work on and not the entire track... I could select a region and freezee just that block... or even better, maybe we could freeze just some effects and not all of them. For example, I had the lead voice on my project and it has proQ, proDS and Convultion reverb... the memory usage was huge... wouldn't it be nice if we could freeze just the proQ and proDS to apply just the reverb on that track?... that way we could avoid using a lot of memory that slows down our iPad.

Thanks!

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:59 pm

When you freeze a track, it no longer uses memory.

Rim