How can I run an interface and charge iPad at the same time?

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Guilleonline
Expert

How can I run an interface and charge iPad at the same time?

Post by Guilleonline » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:56 pm

Is there some sort of splitter that works for this? I know the Alesis i/o dock does it but in all honesty it looks and feels like a toy. I went with a focusrite scarlett 212 and it's great. I only wish I could link it to my motu for inputs but is ok for most of my needs.

So any ideas on how to run the interface and charge the iPad at the same time?

Phil999
Expert

Re: How can I run an interface and charge iPad at the same t

Post by Phil999 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:25 pm

it is not possible*, even with splitters, adapters, and hubs. At the moment there are only dedicated iPad-interfaces that can supply power.

*it is, see below
Last edited by Phil999 on Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Guilleonline
Expert

Post by Guilleonline » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:41 pm

Is there any other besides Alesis? I would prefer something a bit more pro. Any suggestions?

Phil999
Expert

Post by Phil999 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:54 am

http://www.studiosixdigital.com/iaudiointerface2

That one looks good, and from the description works with lightning-30pin adapter as well. Then of course those from Apogee and Focusrite, as listed here:

http://auriaapp.com/Support/auria-audio-interfaces

Oh, I see the iaudiointerface2 is not on the list, I include an image so that someone might get inspired to test it. I was considering it, but I also wanted MIDI in/out, so I bought a Tascam iU2 which is good, but not very reliable with iPad2.

There are also some interesting audio measurement apps from the same company:

http://www.studiosixdigital.com/audiotools

I hope there will be more interfaces, preferably with lightning connector, MIDI, and more than 2 audio i/O, but I think the market for these interfaces is too small. Multi-I/O USB interfaces seem to be the best choice on the pro level, leaving the iPad non-powered.

dominicperry
Expert

Post by dominicperry » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:27 am

I have the original iAudiointerface - which is very similar but works in exclusively the analog realm - the iPhone 3GS has analog in/out on the 30 pin connector, the iAudiointerface 2 is intended for the iPhone 4 and later with digital in/out. I can't remember which iPads this corresponds to.

The iAudiointerface is a pretty good device, but not without shortcomings.

1) StudioSixDigital are horrendously unreliable with their product management. They promise new devices 'coming soon' and have 'available for pre-order' up many, many months before the thing is actually available. Even 'coming September' is changed every month, for up to a year. Having said that, their comms in general are very good and they're quite responsive and helpful by email.
2) Neither iAudiointerface or iAudiointerface 2 have zero-latency monitoring. If you want to hear what you're recording, you have to wait for the A/D, iOS buffer, Auria buffer, iOS buffer, D/A. Horrendous for fast playing and for vocals. Too long even with MultitrackDAW's 64 sample buffer. Certainly too long for me with Auria's 128 sample buffer.
3) You need AudioTools (StudioSixDigital's collection of Audio apps) to alter the mic gain. Massive PITA. One day, in the future, we will all have separate, circular, physical controls for mic gain, headphone output and monitor output. If only someone could invent the potentiometer. Seriously, this is a real problem when it comes to recording, flitting from your DAW of choice to AudioTools and back to alter mic gain. StudioSixDigital actually have a reasonable excuse with these interfaces, in that they are designed for measurement (impulse, FFT, spectrographs etc) and so precise software-controlled gain is essential for that.

They are hefty, well made boxes though. And the ability to charge and run at the same time is unique at present.

Dominic

acaonweb
Expert

Post by acaonweb » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:23 am

i have an USB audio interface, i connect it via this camera connection kit, and in the same time i power my ipad

http://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B0085MJ ... 02_s00_i00
iPad Air Pro 11 iOS 16.3 WiFi 512 Giga, Scarlett Focusrite 18i8
http://mustek.bandcamp.com

Phil999
Expert

Post by Phil999 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:50 pm

thank you for the info, acaonweb.

I found another adapter/interface combination that seems to power the iPad:

http://forum.audiob.us/discussion/170/w ... -connector

If you combine the CCK connector with a Cablejive Dockstubz you'll be able to charge your iPad at the same time as using the Scarlett's audio and midi features. This for me is the best benefit of using a Scarlett 18i6; because it has it's own power supply it draws a bare minimum via the CCK so devices like the Dockstubz will enable you to power your iPad at the same time as using pro level audio & midi features.
So it looks like this is the trick: using an interface with its own power supply so that not much power is drawn from USB; and then insert an adapter between the two.

Dubhausdisco
Expert

Post by Dubhausdisco » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:32 am

I posted on this topic months ago- the cablejive dockstubz is a waste of money.
When plugged in, the iPad says charging, then "not charging" etc.
Use at your own risk. The cck is designed to send power, not receive it.
The cablejive adapter is meant to allow charging for the older accessories that used FireWire protocol.
dubhausdisco

iPad 3
iOS 7.0.4
Akai EIE
Auria 1.14

itayoron

Post by itayoron » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:54 pm

So can it be that the Cablejive Dockstubz will work with some interfaces that have their own ac power supply (Such as Focusrite Scarlett 18i6), but not with others (such as AKAI EIE) ?

Dubhausdisco
Expert

Post by Dubhausdisco » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:36 pm

I haven't heard of anyone getting any iPad to charge with the dockstubz attached. We are starting to see interfaces specifically for the iPad now that will charge, so the cck/USB interface was (and is) kind of a cobbled together setup.
But it works great for me. I've integrated my iOS setup into my pc desktop protools rig, so the charging is no big deal over here. When I start working, my iPad is at 100%. I can go for 3-4 hrs straight before needing to plug it back in, then I move on to something else on the desktop.
Or if I am still wanting to work on the iPad I have the component video (with stereo audio out) ill plug in my iPad (I bought a 10v charger just for this purpose) and feed the audio into my EIE to work uninterrupted. 3-4 hrs is about all my eyes and neck can take at a time anyway... LOL
dubhausdisco

iPad 3
iOS 7.0.4
Akai EIE
Auria 1.14

itayoron

Post by itayoron » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:29 am

I saw your youtube video saying it won`t work but also read that someone said he was able to use the Dockstubz to charge the ipad while connected to the Scarlett 18i6 so I wondered whether this could be possible with other interfaces.

I was about to purchase Akai EIE, as you (and others) recommended just when I found a used, open box Lexicon Omega (version 2) for 65$ so I decided to check it instead. At the moment it seems to fit my needs and I hope it will not let me down and I wondered about the charging with dockstubz with it...

Can you please explain with more detail the thing with the component video and the 10v charger?
Exactly how it works and what it allows you to do?

itayoron

Post by itayoron » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:39 am

What I managed to understand is that you can forward the audio from the ipad to the interface using the video component cables so you can work on your ipad but without all the controllers (Midi keyboard, guitar, mic etc.) that were connected to it through the interface? correct me if I`m wrong. BTW, I found one on amazon that comes also with the 10v charger, but its says its supports iphone 4 and ipad, will it work it iPad 2?

Another question, you said you bought the 10v charger especially for that. How do you charge the ipad usually besides that? Is it better to usually charge the ipad with a 5v charger? or do you have another suggestion?

Thanks again !!

Dubhausdisco
Expert

Post by Dubhausdisco » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:05 am

That's a great price on the Lexicon. The big selling point of the EIE is the built in USB hub (allowing you to connect up to 3 different midi controllers), but if you can live with just hardware (DIN) midi I would go with the Lexicon.

As far as the component video kit, yeah, it also works with iPhone. It has the video outs, stereo audio out, and a breakout USB cable with a 5v charger (the 5v is the small square one that comes with iPhone) I just use a 10v instead for faster charging on the iPad.(it's the one that comes with the iPad)
Keep in mind there is no input with the component video kit, just output.
dubhausdisco

iPad 3
iOS 7.0.4
Akai EIE
Auria 1.14