Auria with iPad 2 32 gig

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

bobbo924

Auria with iPad 2 32 gig

Post by bobbo924 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:51 pm

So what fortune are users having with the iPad 2 and Auria? I'm hearing very mixed responses online. Would appreciate some real-world experience. Thanks.

QbAnYtO
Expert

Re: Auria with iPad 2 32 gig

Post by QbAnYtO » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:56 pm

i KINDA asked the same thing. if u like, refer to my thread here:

http://auriaapp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10306

ajmack302
Expert

Post by ajmack302 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:32 am

Hi there, I use Auria with a 32gb iPad2 and I am constantly blown away by what it can do. Typically I am recording up to 25 tracks per project using lots and lots of plugins (using the Freeze function keeps the CPU manageable), I use Auria to record my 3-piece rock band so I have no real need of Audiobus which I know has been a little hit + miss if reports are true. I personally would recommend Auria very highly, if you would like to hear some examples of Auria produced work click on the SoundCloud link below.

Aaron

BlackBox
Expert

Post by BlackBox » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:51 pm

I even have a 16GB and never have really any problems with it. I actually prefer Auria to other computer DAW's! I use my ipad mainly for music and always leave about 5GB space on it for songs and average between 1-3GB per song. Getting projects on and off are a breeze and worth freeing up space if you're restricted and I have almost every in app purchase plug in and IR libraries. I will preach the Auria gospel as long as I'm alive! It has benefited my music life and makes me jump out of bed every morning for almost the past year!........seriously! As far as Audiobus though.......in my opinion Auria is above a lot of iOS music making. It's capabilities are with seriousness. Not that iOS music making is for the lighter breed musician. I just find it amusing to those that dismiss Auria as shit because it doesn't play well with Audiobus. I love audiobus and think its a wonderful app but let's face it....the only reason why it is so great is because the simplicity of its use wasn't available on the techno advanced iOS devices. Which is stupid because its something a lot of us were frustrated with and thought about waaaayy before they made it. The nay Sayers from what I have read don't know what they are talking about most of the time I am reading their comments.

louparte
Expert

Post by louparte » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:10 pm

You may have some low memory issues w/an iPad2 32G. I have them with my 64G iPad2.
It's important to close your browser, email & all open apps when you load a project.

windyweekend
Expert

Post by windyweekend » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:45 am

I have a 32GB iPad2. Can load my 24 track beatmaker songs onto it okay and mix volume and panning but that's it with 96k sample rates. Add one single plug in and the CPU is crashing out. The store of lots of delicious plugins was what I bought auria for but I'm not going to use it for actual mixing though because unfortunately it can't handle it. I'm sure an iPad4 might be able to do a few but I don't think forking out the money for this is worth it when there are more powerful options on a PC for the same price.

What is interesting is that I have a 1GHz CPU on my old laptop and can run Audacity with a load of plugins quite easily with over 30 tracks.

Anyone figured out a way to add even one plugin on an iPad2? Would love to hear how you did it...

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:00 am

Running an iPad 2 at 96k can definitely be challenging for more than a few plugins, but a few things can help:

- Make sure you don't use 64 bit mixer mode (you can set this in Auria's settings page). The difference in audio quality is small, and the cost is very large (1.5 - 2x the CPU usage).
- Don't use oversampled modes in plugins. Some plugins (for example FabFilter) allow you to choose oversampled modes. This adds to the CPU usage greatly.
- Freeze tracks if you need to use a lot of plugins. Freezing doesn't affect audio quality, and is a great way to reduce CPU and memory usage.

By the way, an iPad 4 is about 3x more powerful than an iPad 4, so it allows many plugins to be run at 96k.

Rim

windyweekend
Expert

Post by windyweekend » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:41 pm

Thanks Rim. I'll dig into freezing and see how it helps.

syrupcore
Expert

Post by syrupcore » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:16 pm

Also, consider ditching 96k for 44.1! Especially if the project was started in beatmaker which doesn't support 96k anyway (I believe).

Also also, make sure there are no other audio apps running before you start auria. I added a tip about it to the tips sticky. I thought the convulution reverb flat didn't work on my iPad 3. Turns out, every time I tried it I had had another app running previously and didn't complete close it out. This makes an enormous difference.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:16 am

Good point, I should have put this one at the top of the list:

- Make sure Auria is the only app running. The reason is this: Auria uses a large buffer size (4096), but most other audio apps use a small buffer. So if you start another audio app first, Auria is forces to use this small buffer size. This results in Auria using a lot more CPU than it normally would.
- Don't use Auria with Audiobus if you want to minimize CPU usage. For the same reasons outlined above, Audiobus uses a small buffer size.

Rim

windyweekend
Expert

Post by windyweekend » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:48 pm

Thanks for the suggestions folks. I'm having luck with some basic EQs but anything more and the CPU is crashing out every time. I might just have to face the limitations of my hardware (though I vaguely remember being able to do wonders with an Atari 1040ST and Steinberg Pro24 back in the day!).

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:01 am

windyweekend wrote:...(though I vaguely remember being able to do wonders with an Atari 1040ST and Steinberg Pro24 back in the day!)...
Ah, but that would have been MIDI sequencing only, wouldn't it? :wink:

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:30 pm

There should be no problem at all running EQs. On an iPad 4, you can have 48 tracks of EQs running with no issues. Are you using 64 bit mixer mode?

Rim

G-master G
Expert

Post by G-master G » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:19 am

Hello there. Could somebody explain please how do you freeze a track. I can't find this option anywhere. Thanks. Grant.

G-master G
Expert

Post by G-master G » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:21 am

No need to worry. I just found the freeze button on each of the tracks. Cheers