Focusrite 18i8 in/out parameters

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

nicadrick
Expert

Focusrite 18i8 in/out parameters

Post by nicadrick » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:24 pm

I am days away from purchasing a Focusrite 18i8 and have been reviewing the user manual. (I know, shame on me!)

The manual for the 18i8 shows that some input parameters previously selectable on the front panel such as the line/inst selector for 1/4" inputs and pad on/off are now controlled via the Focusrite MixControl program for Mac or PC. Are these control parameters available via Auria?

Similarly, the headphone mix (2 headphone outs) are determined in the MixControl program. Are these available in Auria?

I'd appreciate comment from Rim or any forum members that are using the 18i8.

Please advise.

Thanks!

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Focusrite 18i8 in/out parameters

Post by Rim » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:30 pm

Auria doesn't have control over any custom parameters for any USB audio interface. You need to run their MixControl program in order to make these changes. However, once you make the change and save it to the 18i8, it'll remember those settings.

Rim

nicadrick
Expert

Post by nicadrick » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:38 pm

So if I need the pad turned on on one of the inputs during a recording session and I don't have a Mac or PC, there is no way to pad the input? Seems equally odd that I would have no control over the input range line/instrument either. It doesn't make much sense to have to hook the interface up to a Mac or PC just to reconfigure the interface to meet the varying needs of the recording environment from session to session.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:45 pm

On USB audio devices, parameters like phantom power, monitor levels, etc are usually controlled by proprietary means, so the only way to do it is using the manufacturer's software. Some of them have released iOS versions of their control software (so far RME, Apogee). Maybe Focusrite will do the same at some point, but until then, you're stuck using their software of the PC/Mac. Remember that the settings are saved, so even if you disconnect the box for your Mac and reconnect your iPad, the settings remain.

Rim

nicadrick
Expert

Post by nicadrick » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:54 pm

Still looking forward to pairing the 18i8 to Auria, just wished there was more device specific control presented in the Auria interface including those I've mentioned plus the output routing options.

If I connect another preamp, etc to the spdif in on the 18i8 will those additional inputs appear in Auria?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:07 am

It's not feasible - remember, these are proprietary controls. No one has access to them (not even Mac/PC app developers). And manufacturer's don't release details on how to use them. This is why you never see device specific controls in any apps or Mac/PC programs. Each manufacturer has their own proprietary way to communicate with their device in order to control it. The only solution is to use their own control software.

There are some rare exceptions to this, as the USB specification does provide for some basic controls, but it's unusual to see a manufacturer use these. They usually develop their own, and require the use of their own proprietary control software.

Rim

jazzy1

Post by jazzy1 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:53 pm

would there be any way to work with Focusrite to build this control into Auria? I guess if Focusrite released an ios version of mixcontrol, this would address it...

Katherine_Focusrite
Expert

Post by Katherine_Focusrite » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:44 pm

jazzy1 wrote:would there be any way to work with Focusrite to build this control into Auria? I guess if Focusrite released an ios version of mixcontrol, this would address it...
Hi Jazzy1,

There are no current plans for an iOS based MixControl however I have added this as a Feature Request to the Development Team.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to assist you.

Best regards.

Kat
Katherine Kaplan // Focusrite Technical Support

http://www.focusrite.com/answerbase/en/