What Plugins Do You Use And Why

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

leehoward
Expert

What Plugins Do You Use And Why

Post by leehoward » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:57 am

I'm pretty new to Auria which I have to say is just great but don't know too much about plugins. Can any of you guys let me know please what you use and why and what type of effect you get with each.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Re: What Plugins Do You Use And Why

Post by Anthony Alves » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:58 pm

here is the forum thread on this subject. cheers
http://auriaapp.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... gin#p22226

its called just for fun rate your plugin

Jus
Expert

Post by Jus » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:13 pm

Overloud Guitar Plug. IAP'S
For a few quid you get the best sounding guitar app available on the ipad (best all rounder )

The FabFilter IAP'S are quality as well , there's been a lot of work been put into these (by the sound of them ) easy to use with instant results

Old timer , & PianoVerb you should just buy 8)

ClassicVerb Pro well worth the money's another nice reverb

Drumagog if you ever did need a drum replacement Wow

8)

leehoward
Expert

Post by leehoward » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:51 am

Thanks a lot. Just purchased Microwarmed and tip top.

Geronimo
Expert

Post by Geronimo » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:13 pm

About all of them. It's actually amazing that Auria got Fabfilter to contribute right from the beginning. Even for pro standards they are some of the best audio tools out there.

syrupcore
Expert

Post by syrupcore » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:33 am

I've managed to resist buying any of them. I do look a little longingly at Saturn and Timeless on occasion.

Geronimo
Expert

Post by Geronimo » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:34 pm

syrupcore wrote:I've managed to resist buying any of them. I do look a little longingly at Saturn and Timeless on occasion.
There's absolutely no reason not to buy them. Think about it, you're helping effectively three entities with a considerably small investment. The guys at Fabfilter to keep up such an amazing job, the Auria team who can generate a second income with the in-app purchases, and last but not least, yourself as a user. At this price point it's actually a steal. It's a win/win/win situation, and it could lead directly or indirectly to even more plug-ins that we can choose from in the future.

The quality of the Fabfilter effects is unmatched, and you're getting the whole thing for a fraction of the normal price. And even if it's all of relatively limited use, because the iPad isn't so powerful yet to support more than a handful instances at once, it's all worth it. Even if just for the fact that you're learning how well designed and powerful software tools can be, and what they actually can do you for you to progress even further.

Think about it, you won't regret it in any way.

actualproof
Expert

Post by actualproof » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:39 pm

Geronimo wrote:
syrupcore wrote:I've managed to resist buying any of them. I do look a little longingly at Saturn and Timeless on occasion.
There's absolutely no reason not to buy them. Think about it, you're helping effectively three entities with a considerably small investment. The guys at Fabfilter to keep up such an amazing job, the Auria team who can generate a second income with the in-app purchases, and last but not least, yourself as a user. At this price point it's actually a steal. It's a win/win/win situation, and it could lead directly or indirectly to even more plug-ins that we can choose from in the future.

The quality of the Fabfilter effects is unmatched, and you're getting the whole thing for a fraction of the normal price. And even if it's all of relatively limited use, because the iPad isn't so powerful yet to support more than a handful instances at once, it's all worth it. Even if just for the fact that you're learning how well designed and powerful software tools can be, and what they actually can do you for you to progress even further.

Think about it, you won't regret it in any way.

AMEN!

ShiftyEye

Post by ShiftyEye » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:21 pm

Microwarmer - all my guitars are going through this - love the sound
also have this on my two channel output most of the time for some light tape emulation

Fabfilter Saturn - Love this thing!! but it really eats up CPU so you gotta set it up and freeze that track quick
Use this on my drum buss and it is amazing
Use this on my vocals and it is amazing
Use this when mastering the two channel mixdown and it is amazing!!!

Fabfilter Pro-Q - best EQ - use it pretty much for all EQ needs

Fabfilter Pro-DS - sometimes use it on drum buss or vocals as needed but I found it did amazing things when I used it when mastering my mixdown

Fabfilter Pro-L - Perfect limiter for mastering

As was mentioned even the pros are using fabfilter stuff - this is the real deal and the UI is a joy to use on the iPad.

All of these plugs mentioned were used in my bands first release.
Two-piece guitar/drum rock
Check it :mrgreen:
http://shiftyeye.bandcamp.com/

syrupcore
Expert

Post by syrupcore » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:10 pm

@geronimo certainly not questioning their quality or bang for the buck. Just, no matter how badly I want them, I don't really need them yet. I need to finish songs worth mixing! Then I'll need them.

Geronimo
Expert

Post by Geronimo » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:58 am

syrupcore wrote:@geronimo certainly not questioning their quality or bang for the buck. Just, no matter how badly I want them, I don't really need them yet. I need to finish songs worth mixing! Then I'll need them.
I see. I just wanted to point out that the plug-ins are a nice way to support the developers further. I certainly don't really need all of the plug-ins that i own now, but then again i didn't really get them just for myself.

Imagine all the incredible powerful synths that we got now on the iPad, and look what they cost. And you know what made all this possible ithe first place? Our willingness to buy and use them. Wolfgang Palm stated on his youtube channel that developers aren't actually making money out of computer vst's because of all the piracy that's going on. So it's actually possible that some developers make more money with very low priced apps now, than with rather normally priced computer plug-ins.

There are many synths and effects now that i would happily buy for 10 times of the current iOS asking price. But we have this new iOS pricing model now that could benefit everyone involved. With a buying threshold that low many new customers come into play that probably would've never thought about paying for audio software otherwise. It's a very interesting new world that we're entering right now, but it requires dedication from us all. And a considerably small investment can make a huge change here..

Please note that i don't want you to buy anything that you don't need. It's just that many of us have to rethink their buying habits when it comes to apps and software in general. I'm not talking about you here specifically, because i don't know how you approach these things, but a certain current state of mind that's kinda weird when it comes to apps. People tend to think that anything that's priced above 10$ is somehow expensive for an app, regardless what it actually does. I've experienced this weird sentiment by myself, too. I got some amazing games for 0,99$ in the store and didn't think twice about the price, but when a game comes at, let's say, 7,99$, i'm having somewhat of a hard time to decide whether i really want it or not. That's really weird, because i spend much more on certain food or something like that that probably brings me way less joy. I don't really have this problem with synths, because i know what they're worth to me, but many people have. It somehow lies in the psychology of how we perceive tablets and smarthones as a device/tool as such. I think we're just not used to it yet to see them as a (potentially) full-fledged medium. But that's probably just a matter of time...

syrupcore
Expert

Post by syrupcore » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:30 pm

Don't want to further derail this thread but know I'm with you. People have lost their freaking minds when it comes to cost:value with regards to the App Store. Stopping for me has more to do with focussing on creating and not adding more tools. I have plenty!

BlackBox
Expert

Post by BlackBox » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:07 pm

I pulled the trigger on the DCAM BUsComp the other day. I haven't got a chance to use it yet but played with it real quick on a song I am working on and have to say just listening to its effect on the ipad speakers themselves was noticeable! So glad I got it and will get the the compressor likely too. They have that good vintage warmth to them too. Anyone check out the other music apps Audio Mastering and Master Record? They are made by the same guy but go quite nice with each other! The Master Record is ideal for ruining tracks or mixes through to get analog effect on your stuff and the Audio Mastering is just a simple mastering tool for ipad. Pretty ideal for those who work strictly on an ipad. Auria has the potency to master but I have tried outside apps and tools and seem to like the results better. As far as mixing goes though Auria and the plugins for it are A1! Pro Q be me faves and used the most along with Micr Warmer!

louparte
Expert

Post by louparte » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:58 am

Fabfilter Pro-C
Convolution reverb stereo & mono
Retune for vocals (very intriguing plug that is a real bargain. I will be using it more)
Now & then the PSP plugs Old-timer & Microwarmer