New to Auria

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

rogerj1

New to Auria

Post by rogerj1 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:11 pm

Hi folks,
New to Auria and must say I love this DAW! I am musician hobbiest at best and just now starting to get serious back into recording now that I've found this app. I used cool edit years ago and at the time I never had the proper gear to interface and my machine wasn't the best in the world for working with audio so I eventually threw my hand in with recording. Now that I have this on my ipad2 I'm fining it a joy to get back into recording. I've also got an opportunity on the horizon that I need to get my chops up to speed on self producing my own music. I'll explain further.

First a little about myself. I am in fact an engineer. Not the kind that is typically here on daw forums, but by day I'm an electrical engineer with the power utility here in my hometown. I'm a system protection, controls and automation engineer, so my daily duties require a lot of interface with software, communications, calculations, etc. I could show y'all some cool looking 60hz waveforms :mrgreen: (rimshot). By hobby, I'm also a gigging musician and I've ran sound all the years I've done this as well. Mostly small bar gig type things. Fun at times,, tho, a pain in the ass at times!

So I'm just starting out with auria and mostly trying to do instrumental music which primarily for my own enjoyment, but I have an opportunity to get some of my music placed on TV here in the states. Not a major production, but it would be nation wide market. I've submitted a demo to them and they want me to work for them and I really need to be able to do this on my own. The demo was done at a semi pro studio and it cost a nice chunk of change and a lot of time doing so. My workflow here in auri will mostly consist of me using drum loops and laying down bass and guitars for a country/rock vibe. Speaking of drum loops, I would like any input you may have on where to find nice tracks. I've looked at the MoReVox package here and think I should go with that. For the time being I have used DrumsHD from the App Store and just paste them into auria. I don't have the interface setup like I want just yet, but considering the Behringer version of the alesis io dock. I could do most of what I need with a simple interface like that.

As for mixing and mastering,, I'm finding I've got a lot to learn and would love to collaborate with anyone here that would be willing to offer guidance. I've seen the section for user material submissions here but I wonder if anyone is actually sharing project files? For instance, I would love for someone to critique my work and if they could offer insights or suggestions on what I'm doing or not doing, that would be awesome! I would be willing to upload the project directory to my Dropbox where you could download and have a look. Any other resources for learning and education would be a great help as well. A quick question for instance: when producing a mixdown track of your mix, what's the general practice of doing that? Do you mix it down, then import as a new track or just bounce all the tracks to a new one and master it from there? Would like to know how you guys perform your workflow.

Great resource here and glad I found the app and this forum!

Thanks!

Geronimo
Expert

Re: New to Auria

Post by Geronimo » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:14 am

Welcome.

Auria gave me as well a significant boost to get into production again.
The limitations of the iPad can be a bit frustrating at times, but the usability
Is something else, imo.

Feel free to ask any question, i'm sure someone can help you out :)

Geronimo
Expert

Post by Geronimo » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:23 am

Regarding your question, i'm trying to bounce as little as possible, because it limits my flexibility a lot. But given the limited ressources i got, i'm using the freeze function (on-the-fly bouncing) all the time.

69strat
Expert

Post by 69strat » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:56 pm

Welcome aboard!
Regarding drums, it's something I've struggled with a bit as well. Still waiting for one of the drum apps (other than DM1) to enable multitrack export so they can be drumagogged in auria. If anyone knows of one, please advise.
If you go the loop route, I would suggest taking a look at www.thelooploft.com I am in no way affiliated with them but they do have some great sounding, reasonably priced, well organized multitrack loop packages. If you can find some to fit your project, they work well.
Pete

Tarekith
Expert

Post by Tarekith » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:47 pm

Hi Roger, here's a couple general purpose guides I've written about mixing and mastering. They apply to any DAW, so the principles will apply in Auria the same as anything else:

http://tarekith.com/assets/pdfs/Mixdowns.pdf

http://tarekith.com/assets/pdfs/Mastering.pdf

Hope those help you some!

rogerj1

Post by rogerj1 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:06 pm

Thanks so much for the info guys! As for loops in general, I'm assuming one could import, or copy and paste any loop into the app directory? That is of course if you're able to browse down to that directory. Just a thought here, would having your ipad jailbroken aid in this process or does it even need to be? Reason I ask is I used to use iPhones. I got so fed up with them being so locked down that I jailbroke it and I was able to manage files a lot easier. Since then I've gone to android type phones mainly because they're so much more flexible to manage.

Thanks again folks!

Geronimo
Expert

Post by Geronimo » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:43 pm

rogerj1 wrote:Thanks so much for the info guys! As for loops in general, I'm assuming one could import, or copy and paste any loop into the app directory? That is of course if you're able to browse down to that directory. Just a thought here, would having your ipad jailbroken aid in this process or does it even need to be? Reason I ask is I used to use iPhones. I got so fed up with them being so locked down that I jailbroke it and I was able to manage files a lot easier. Since then I've gone to android type phones mainly because they're so much more flexible to manage.

Thanks again folks!
The file system got a lot better over the time. This could be what you're looking for:

http://kymatica.com/Software/AudioShare

ddkunde

Post by ddkunde » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:08 pm

69strat wrote:Welcome aboard!
Regarding drums, it's something I've struggled with a bit as well. Still waiting for one of the drum apps (other than DM1) to enable multitrack export so they can be drumagogged in auria. If anyone knows of one, please advise.
If you go the loop route, I would suggest taking a look at http://www.thelooploft.com I am in no way affiliated with them but they do have some great sounding, reasonably priced, well organized multitrack loop packages. If you can find some to fit your project, they work well.
Pete
Is there plans for a drum app in Auria? Have only been importing loops. Would be nice to create your own and use drumagog also

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:15 am

Possibly, when we add full midi capability to Auria, but that's a future version I don't have any details on yet.

Rim

hilltop

Post by hilltop » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:29 am

I'm new. Ipad 2 16. Alesis i/o dock. I'm also new to itunes, dropbox, midi and most of the apps I have. I need to acquire file management, and updating skills. Where to start? Thanks.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:29 pm

Have you checked out the Lynda.com tutorials?

Rim

hilltop

Post by hilltop » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:56 pm

Yes I have watched the freebies and may sign up. I was glad to see it linked to in your user guide, since I could view that page. I'm sure that my pc and ipad 2 needs some serious cleaning up and no geeks are in sight. Thanks.