Confirmed, FaderPort Works

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

69strat
Expert

Confirmed, FaderPort Works

Post by 69strat » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:10 pm

Flawless so far...every feature on the FaderPort that i have tried works without a hitch!
So cool to see the motorized fader do it's thing!
Loving the update so far!
Rim, I am in you debt sir!
Sorry for all of the ! But this is epic

IPadArtist
Expert

Re: Confirmed, FaderPort Works

Post by IPadArtist » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:08 pm

Nice. Are you able to adjust Auria's faders and Pan under HUI control? Thanks Inwant to order one right away but only if it controls Auria's mixer. So far my Axiom controls the start stop and of course the midi learn for Fabfilter plugins went well.

69strat
Expert

Post by 69strat » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:17 pm

It controls faders, pan, full transport function (even arms tracks), punch, loop all work. Mute, solo, switches from mix to edit window. Haven't tried with plugins yet, will report back.

Guilleonline
Expert

Post by Guilleonline » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:26 pm

How about the alphatrack? Anone has any idea if it works with Auria? It looks a little bit cooler than the fader port to mebut only if it works properly :wink:

IPadArtist
Expert

Post by IPadArtist » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:38 pm

69strat wrote:It controls faders, pan, full transport function (even arms tracks), punch, loop all work. Mute, solo, switches from mix to edit window. Haven't tried with plugins yet, will report back.
Thanks 69 Strat just ordered one and I should get it in a few days. Enjoy

r3watson
Expert

Post by r3watson » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:44 am

Question: Once I have Faderport hooked up, how can I then use an external keyboard? My concern is that if I use the Faderport, I won't have any way to connect other input devices for recording externally into Auria. Will a USB hub allow BOTH the Faderport AND a keyboard to be used together? Otherwise, I don't see how much good the Faderport would be except for mixing and automating. Hopefully, I'm missing something here, but I'd love to use the Faderport with Auria while recording, as well as for mixing and automating!

Thanks,
Randall
-iPad 4 32gig/-iOS 9.1/-Auria Pro/-Apogee Jam/-Not jailbroken

IPadArtist
Expert

Post by IPadArtist » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:53 am

r3watson wrote:Question: Once I have Faderport hooked up, how can I then use an external keyboard? My concern is that if I use the Faderport, I won't have any way to connect other input devices for recording externally into Auria. Will a USB hub allow BOTH the Faderport AND a keyboard to be used together? Otherwise, I don't see how much good the Faderport would be except for mixing and automating. Hopefully, I'm missing something here, but I'd love to use the Faderport with Auria while recording, as well as for mixing and automating!

Thanks,
Randall
My understanding is that the FaderPort acts like your midi keyboard so just connect it to the usb hub and you should still be able to record with your input device while controlling Auria via the FaderPort. I can use my Axiom to control Auria (although limited) while my Focusrite stays connected. It should work the same. 69strat has one and he hasn't mentioned this happening. Maybe he could chime in and describe his set-up. Good luck.

69strat
Expert

Post by 69strat » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:27 am

So far I have only used the FaderPort to record/mix, I would like to also hook up my mpk25 for sequencing drums and recording synths. I am not sure how to best accomplish this. I am running the FaderPort into a Duet and am wondering if I can use a USB hub and get them both in through the duet. This is my first go with A MIDI setup so I am hoping that someone can chime in here...
Pete

IPadArtist
Expert

Post by IPadArtist » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:46 am

69strat wrote:So far I have only used the FaderPort to record/mix, I would like to also hook up my mpk25 for sequencing drums and recording synths. I am not sure how to best accomplish this. I am running the FaderPort into a Duet and am wondering if I can use a USB hub and get them both in through the duet. This is my first go with A MIDI setup so I am hoping that someone can chime in here...
Pete
Hi Pete. Yes I see your going through the same as the OP. A USB powered hub will do the trick. Heres the set-up. Connect your main USB hub to the CCK kit that's connected to your iPad. Thats the port on the usb hub that connects to the computer. Then simply connect everything else, including the FderPort to the usb hub. Voila !. You should now see all of these units in your midi set-up inside Auria's midi settings and other apps too. Good lucknand let us know how you made out. If you already have a CCK kit then all you need is a Powered USB hub about $10-15. Your Duet charges the iPad whisl connected but I don't think this function will work in this set-up as the CCK and usb hub tie up the iPads usb input.
Because Auria has no midi note data yet, I take it you want to use this in Audiobus. There you want to control Auria via the FaderPort while inputing midi music from Nave or the like. In this case you neet 2 midi inputs on your Duet but there is only 1. So a usb hub is the only solution. However, I don't know if you can still use the Duet as the main input source and simply connect to usb hubs main out to the Diet's usb in. Then connect the FaderPort and MPK25 to the usb hub. If this works you don't need the CCK kit. It's just that most USB hubs main outputs neet to see a host computer to handshake. So you have little to loose here because you definetly nned the usb hub so try it out and if it doesn't work than the handshake was not possible and you will have to use my first mentioned method. Good luck.
Last edited by IPadArtist on Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

69strat
Expert

Post by 69strat » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:57 am

Will pick one up today, I appreciate the info and will report back.
One question though, I picked up a USB to thunderbolt adapter and when I tried to hook the FaderPort and the mpk25 directly to the ipad individually (no duet) it said device requires too much power, cannot be used, despite having a power source for both devices plugged in. Is the CCK different from the USB to thunderbolt adapter I'm using?
Also, would plugging a powered USB port to the MIDI in on the duet work, ideally allowing it to still charge the ipad?
Thanks again,
Pete

IPadArtist
Expert

Post by IPadArtist » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:19 pm

69strat wrote:Will pick one up today, I appreciate the info and will report back.
One question though, I picked up a USB to thunderbolt adapter and when I tried to hook the FaderPort and the mpk25 directly to the ipad individually (no duet) it said device requires too much power, cannot be used, despite having a power source for both devices plugged in. Is the CCK different from the USB to thunderbolt adapter I'm using?
Also, would plugging a powered USB port to the MIDI in on the duet work, ideally allowing it to still charge the ipad?
Thanks again,
Pete
Hi Pete. I added all that in on the last post while you were on this post. Funny this is almost live. I think I explain what your needing to know. Your usb hub must be powered. That means there is a power supply plugged directly into the usb hub. The fact that the hardware is plugged into the wall is still not sufficient as the usb input is looking for the needed power that the devices connected require. So the powered usb hub supplies all the input/output power leaving the Duets usb power untouched or lightly taxed. You may not need the CCK kit if you can get what I detailed out to work. Good luck
And I think you mean USB to Lightning Adapter as the faderport has no Thunderbolt. So all that happened there is that the USB portbcould not supply the required power that was needed by the faderport/MPK25. The Powered usb hub cures all that.

IPadArtist
Expert

Post by IPadArtist » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:41 pm

Oh and Pete, if you already have a USB to Lighning connecter because you have an iPad 4 with lighning connector than you don't need the CCK kit because that is what the USB to Lightning cable is. In other words you already have what you need to connect the USB powered hub to. You just neet to be able to connect USB into the iPad. So just get a powered hub. I take it you run an iPad 4?

69strat
Expert

Post by 69strat » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:50 pm

Wow, thanks for all of the info. I am running an ipad 4. Will pick up the powered hub today, fingers crossed...

r3watson
Expert

Post by r3watson » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:24 pm

Hey, just wanted to share my results. With a powered USB hub, I was able to run Faderport, an external MIDI keyboard, and my Apogee Jam interface. Audiobus recording was fine, and audio via Apogee Jam had no latency issues. Wow, I am impressed!
-iPad 4 32gig/-iOS 9.1/-Auria Pro/-Apogee Jam/-Not jailbroken

69strat
Expert

Post by 69strat » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:44 pm

Fantastic! Thanks for sharing. I picked up a Belkin powered hub and plan to experiment tonight.