Auria Only Recording Studio?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Hrveylee
Expert

Re: Auria Only Recording Studio?

Post by Hrveylee » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:26 am

Is there a way to connect my Ipad to Focusrite 6i6, to mackie 1202 mixer that is connected to my Mackie monitors? I'm trying to use my ipad as the control for my recording. Will there be latency as I'm recording through my ipad while listening through my monitors? Newbie:(

IPadArtist
Expert

Post by IPadArtist » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:17 am

Hrveylee wrote:Is there a way to connect my Ipad to Focusrite 6i6, to mackie 1202 mixer that is connected to my Mackie monitors? I'm trying to use my ipad as the control for my recording. Will there be latency as I'm recording through my ipad while listening through my monitors? Newbie:(
The 6i6 is designed so that it acts much like a mixer. You have multi-inputs as well as outputs. Your 1202 offers you no advantages over the 6i6 as the 6i6 has a better signal to noise ratio so your recording will be cleaner. If y ou want to use the 1202 to say channel through an external synth or several synths and hardware pricessing gear such as EQ's or Delays, then the 1202 can summ these as well as the 6i6 outputs. You may want to wire the studio for a particular project, that's really what a mixer is for. Auria and the 6i6 offer a digital form of mixing and patchbay as Auria can patch your signal through the various outputs of the 6i6. So it really depends on the prokect at hand. Latency... I really hate that word these days. But for the most part if you don't hear any latency in the headphone mix, you won't hear it on the speakers. As I mentioned to another member, your latency will not be increased by any harware piece that you place before or after your 6i6 since that is the only input source you can use to record into Auria other than the iPad's built in mic. You cannot as you know use the 1202 as an input device directly to the iPad. So your 1202 falls into the hardware catagory and can only be inserted either before the 6i6 for recording or as a summing mixer receiving the audio outputs of your 6i6.
At which output you choose to connect your monitors will make no difference in latency. You can connect to the 1202 if your summing Auria's tracks through the 6i6 and inserting extra gear on the 1202 or you can monitor off the 6i6 while inputing additional gear through the 1202. You can even set the 1202 up so that it is split, half for sending audio to the 6i6 and half for summing from the 6i6. The 1202 offers even more control than that if you use Aux/FX sens / Busses to control what you hear. You may even want to use the TRS jacks found on the first 4 channels of the 1202 to send direct signals to the 6i6. The more you patch around the clearer your understanding will be of the routing capabilities of your already awsome studio.

Hrveylee
Expert

Post by Hrveylee » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:30 am

I'm taking a bit of a vacation and will be going back home on Wednesday; the new focusrite 6i6 arrives on Friday. I'm very interested to get it all connected and running! Any suggestions, other than Lynda, on learning the basics. I really would like to dig into this software?

Hrveylee
Expert

Post by Hrveylee » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:49 pm

Someone told me that if I used the reverb included with the focusrite software that this might cause excessive latency? Also, there are times that I enjoy playing with a recorded track; the track as well as my guitar are amplified through my interface and monitors. Will this work as well?

IPadArtist
Expert

Post by IPadArtist » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:07 pm

Hrveylee wrote:Someone told me that if I used the reverb included with the focusrite software that this might cause excessive latency? Also, there are times that I enjoy playing with a recorded track; the track as well as my guitar are amplified through my interface and monitors. Will this work as well?
I just checked the Focusrite site and the included Free Plug-in suite is only for your desktop computer and not your iPad. I own a focusrite as well and this is the same with my included plug-in suite. So I am not sure what latency you would be experiencing as there is no way to access these plugins from within your iPad. As far as routing your live guitar and recorded tracks out to your monitors that is no problem and is easily routed through your Mackie 1202. Are you currently using Auria?

Hrveylee
Expert

Post by Hrveylee » Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:02 pm

I will be starting to use Auria this week. I'm looking at how I can access some of my effects, mostly reverb. Currently when recording I'm using logic; all is connected to my mixer. I want to transition to auria and my ipad.

louparte
Expert

Post by louparte » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:48 pm

Lately, 100% of my recording has been via Auria. I've done two full projects that were Auria-only.

Unfortunately, I think the RAM limits on the iPad make it extremely difficult. You have to constantly take time to freeze tracks and do preliminary mix-downs. And those may not be the mixes you need.

I'm using an iPad2/64G. The on-board 512 meg RAM is not much in multi-track digital audio. There is no way I can get even 24 tracks @ 48k on this iPad. I'm lucky to get 10 before I start freezing tracks & doing preliminary mix-downs. Mixing any of my complete projects on this iPad without freezing tracks would be impossible.

garyshell
Expert

Post by garyshell » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:21 pm

Without the ability to have iPad on a charger while recording, my big concern has been running out of battery power while working on a project. Many of my sessions using more traditional equipment have gone on for ten plus hours. I'm not sure the iPad will be up to that task.

Since you've had some considerable first hand experience with this, how many hours of continuous use did you get. And what happens when the battery runs out. Do you just send the musicians home?

Gary
louparte wrote:Lately, 100% of my recording has been via Auria. I've done two full projects that were Auria-only.

Unfortunately, I think the RAM limits on the iPad make it extremely difficult. You have to constantly take time to freeze tracks and do preliminary mix-downs. And those may not be the mixes you need.

I'm using an iPad2/64G. The on-board 512 meg RAM is not much in multi-track digital audio. There is no way I can get even 24 tracks @ 48k on this iPad. I'm lucky to get 10 before I start freezing tracks & doing preliminary mix-downs. Mixing any of my complete projects on this iPad without freezing tracks would be impossible.

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:43 am

garyshell wrote:Without the ability to have iPad on a charger while recording, my big concern has been running out of battery power while working on a project. Many of my sessions using more traditional equipment have gone on for ten plus hours. I'm not sure the iPad will be up to that task.

Since you've had some considerable first hand experience with this, how many hours of continuous use did you get. And what happens when the battery runs out. Do you just send the musicians home?

Gary
If I was recording musicians professionally I would invest in an Apogee product as they are MFi and can charge while recording:

http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/quartet.php

louparte
Expert

Post by louparte » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:45 am

garyshell wrote:Without the ability to have iPad on a charger while recording, my big concern has been running out of battery power while working on a project. Many of my sessions using more traditional equipment have gone on for ten plus hours. I'm not sure the iPad will be up to that task.

Gary
My Alesis ioDock recharges my iPad2. But I still have fantastic battery life on the iPad. 7+ hours, easy.
louparte wrote:Lately, 100% of my recording has been via Auria. I've done two full projects that were Auria-only.

[/quote]

garyshell
Expert

Post by garyshell » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:14 am

louparte wrote:My Alesis ioDock recharges my iPad2. But I still have fantastic battery life on the iPad. 7+ hours, easy.
I get that much time too doing simple things like web, email etc. Not sure what the battery life is with Auria though. That's my concern since my interface is USB not via the 30 pin connector.

Why Apple chose to disable charging while using USB for data flow is beyond me. They could have just as easily allowed the USB power pins to pass through the Camera Connector, but no. Stupid, just plain stupid.

Gary

kwalker0210
Expert

Post by kwalker0210 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:16 pm

It's been sometime since I started this thread. Since then, I upgraded to the iPad3. This was my best option, considering that I have the Alesis IO Dock that I am not willing to jerry rig to work with the iPad4 lightning connector. I am getting pretty efficient using my iPod Touch 4 with the Synthstation 25 keyboard as an external sound source into the Alesis Dock, along with and electric guitar and bass. I try to spend 30 minutes a day using Audiobus with the plethora of apps, but haven't reached the point where I don't consider it a chore.

I recently went on a two week business trip and I was able to work through the Lynda.com classes for Auria. It was totally worth the effort. I am looking forward to being able to confidently use Auria for creating music beds and recording narration without having to do any post production in another DAW.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread, and please, keep it coming!

drock
Expert

Post by drock » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:27 am

I would just like to add that's its my Auria cake day today! I've learned a lot in a year and its been great so far. Rim and the team, I can't thank you guys enough!

anton06
Expert

Post by anton06 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:48 pm

Hey, i wanted to thank Anthony Alves for a superb app he adviced us to upload on the AppStore ===>> Nave
It is just amazing!!!... Thank you Anthony!
:D

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:02 am

anton06 wrote:Hey, i wanted to thank Anthony Alves for a superb app he adviced us to upload on the AppStore ===>> Nave
It is just amazing!!!... Thank you Anthony!
:D
Thanks Anton06. No problem at all. I am really enjoying Nave as well. Cheers mate.
~~_/)~~~