Built-in mic disabled

For bug reports only - non-bug related questions will be moved to appropriate forum.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

drock
Expert

Built-in mic disabled

Post by drock » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:55 pm

So I know this will seem ridiculous, but I need to use the builtin mic real quick just to lay down some quick melody lines for a horn section ill be working with. So I just want to use my acoustic guitar out loud, no cables, no interfaces, nothing. Just straight up crappy builtin mic and record these lines out loud. I noticed that no matter what I do, I can't get the mic to hear anything. It's just dead.
Auria version 1.091, iPad 4, 64GB, iOS 6.1.3. I've tried in 96K and even in a totally new project in 44.1. And yes, I know how to set this stuff up...no auto punch, I know how to arm tracks but the input matrix has nothing at all.
I'm sure there's bigger problems for you to fix, Rim, but it would just be nice to not have to hook up all my gear just for a few quick melody lines to give these guys for reference. Thanks!!

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Built-in mic disabled

Post by Rim » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:15 am

The built-in mic works fine here, and for many others in 1.091, so I'm not sure this is a bug. Some things to check:

- tap and hold on the Rec button, and choose Record Level. Make sure that up.
- Make sure you don't have any USB or MFi interfaces connected (obvious, I know, but I thought I'd mention it).
- Reboot your iPad. Sometimes things happen to the coreAudio system that require a reboot.
- Make sure Audiobus is not running.

Rim

drock
Expert

Post by drock » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:38 am

The record level is good, set to 0, like normal.
I'm using no interfaces at all.
I reboot but it didn't change anything.
Audiobus is not running.

I'm really not sure whats going on. Its not like the mic input shows me a small green response bar, I mean, its empty completely. Here is what I see:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/taxbckz2hd03b ... 0%20AM.jpg
I get no response at all, like it cant be turned on or something. Totally blank.
Typical, I'm the one with all the crazy, unexplainable problems, ugh

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:23 am

Are you sure your mic isn't defective? Can you open another app and record from the mic?

Can you do me a favor and take a picture of your settings page?

Thanks,
Rim

drock
Expert

Post by drock » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:22 pm

Yeah, the mic works fine in another app. I tried it in Hokusai. This wanst an issue to version 1.091...granted, I havent needed to use the builtin mic for a while. The last time I probably used it was back in version 1.04 or earlier, I'm thinking.

Heres my settings:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wvuui5qbe0fap ... 0%20PM.jpg

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:42 pm

Your settings look fine - I honestly can't figure out why you shouldn't be able to use the mic. No one else has reported a problem like this for 1.091, so I can only assume it's something unique to your setup... You're sure it does this for new projects as well?

Maybe a complete reinstall of Auria would solve it.

Rim

drock
Expert

Post by drock » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:23 pm

Yeah, it definitely does it for a new project. I started one in 44.1 just to test it and yup, it's a no-go. I'll just have to hook up all my gear, no big deal really..just takes more time. Maybe this will be magically fixed with a new update even though its only happening to me. I swear, I'm the king at running into unexplainable issues...

Jus
Expert

Post by Jus » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:53 pm

I've had this issue and think I know how to replicate it

Double click the home button kill all apps , then reboot the Ipad ,(maybe restarting is all you need to do instead of killing all apps)
Start up Auria the mic doesn't work input matrix doesn't get it going either :roll:
To get it working

Just Start up Audiobus and select Auria in the output and activate it , then go into Auria through AudioBus
Mic should be working now. You can deselect Auria in Audiobus now and kill all apps again start up Auria and it still works
, But if you restart the ipad it kicks off the mic again for some reason
8)

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:30 am

i had this after the audiobus update.

I now have to start audiobus first, turn on the mic as an audiobus input and load auria as the output. then it mysteriously comes alive again.

drock
Expert

Post by drock » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:48 am

So Jus, that didn't work...BUT I did change one of your steps and at least got the mic to show a level.

Instead of selecting Auria (in Audiobus) as an output, I made it an input only and then switched back to Auria and noticed the mic finally responded. I can then kill Audiobus and the mic still seems to respond.

Now, after this, I noticed the projects playback EXTREMELY slowly and distorted so even though I got the mic to respond, its impossible to use now since the existing audio sounds crazy. So I started a new project in 44.1 and the mic works perfectly. No delay, no slow, distorted audio. This must be from audiobus not working with 96K projects and something is getting thrown off.

So its different problems now but yet still doesn't work. Oh well...as long as my PreSonus 1818 still works, that's the important thing.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:08 am

It seems you guys have uncovered a coreAudio bug, which I've just replicated. For some reason, the iOS audio system will not enable the mic when you first start an app like Auria after rebooting (Auria uses the newest audio mode called multiRoute, and this only seem to affect apps that use this category). I will see if there's a workaround for this, and get it into Auria asap.

for now, the manual workaround seems to be to start any other audio app which uses the mic first, then you can close that app and use Auria normally until you reboot your iPad.

Make sure to kill the other app by double-tapping on the home button. Otherwise, it'll eat up additional memory and CPU (and might not be compatible with all your sample rates, buffer sizes, etc).

Thanks,
Rim

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:15 am

I've added a workaround to Auria 1.10 to get around this coreAudio bug.

Rim