Timetable for release of MIDI support and sequencer

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Mojosynths

Timetable for release of MIDI support and sequencer

Post by Mojosynths » Tue May 07, 2013 3:20 pm

Dear Wavemachine Labs/Auria, this post is basically an "open letter" to you guys,

I have been checking the forums every so often for the last 6 months, for some sort of indication of when the much requested MIDI support and MIDI sequencer will be incorporated into Auria, and the only answers I find are woolly ones like "MIDI support will be quite comprehensive when it appears blah blah".

I think you owe it to current Auria users and potential future users like myself, to provide something more concrete, for example a timetable for when you will support MIDI and what the features will be. You see, in my case (as an example), I have a purchase decision to make now, should I buy an Ipad and trust that Auria will be featuring a MIDI sequencer in the near future, or should I buy a laptop and run one of the many DAWs that can be purchased that has fully fledged MIDI sequencers? ...My heart says that I would like to buy an Ipad, but can't afford to make the mistake of putting my trust in what is just lose talk about a MIDI sequencer in Auria when that is what I need. So, I think you guys at Wavemachine Labs need to put something concrete on the table with regards to when and what MIDI support there will be for Auria, or if you do not want to incorporate a MIDI sequencer, then just come clean about it and say it so people in my position can move on.

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Timetable for release of MIDI support and sequencer

Post by Rim » Tue May 07, 2013 4:46 pm

I know it's frustrating not knowing when this is going to be released, but I just honestly don't have a date. I've been working on it for months now, and it's going very well. We're not a typical company with timetables and schedules to meet. I'm the sole developer, and I work much like an artist. I've learned long ago not to set release dates, as they are always missed. Often by several months or a year ;) I'm just trying to paint an honest picture of how the development process works. It's not something that can be rushed, and often a section you thought was going to take a week ends up taking a month, and sometimes the other way around. Believe me, the midi upgrade will be well worth the price when it comes out, but I'd be shooting myself in the foot by trying to guess on a timeline. Auria itself took years to write.

Rim

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Tue May 07, 2013 4:49 pm

i can't think you'll get a timetable, but I do think it'll arrive.

It's probably wise not to invest in an 'if' senario, so I would either wait or get what works now.

Bare in mind it has taken quite some time to iron out all the main issues with the audio side of Auria and I can only imagine a similar process with the MIDI.

Patience *is a virtue so I'm told ;)

CEIsar
Expert

Post by CEIsar » Tue May 07, 2013 8:56 pm

i really apreciate that Rim is NOT one of the guys who's always telling "we gonna do this soooon and it will be aaaawessssooooome"....and nothings gonna happen.Imagine:if Auria will get Midi (yes,we can count the days i'm sure :-) )
it will be a milestone for iOS recording.But nobody will be happy if its buggy as hell.Auria still IS an amazing program and it never started as a competitor to all the Midi stuff out there.It's a Pro Tools competition.WHEN did Pro Tools got Midi??It took some time,right?Patience...

Not to mention we are still talkin about a 50 bucks program...
iPad Air 2 - WiFI - 128GB - iOS 9.1 - Auria Pro 2.01 - Roland Duo Capture EX

dixie237

Post by dixie237 » Thu May 09, 2013 4:40 am

Hi Rim,
how about adding midi clock sync slave/master as an early update?
That would be an great add.
Cheers

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu May 09, 2013 6:07 am

Yes, definitely a possibility.

Rim

CEIsar
Expert

Post by CEIsar » Thu May 09, 2013 8:09 am

that would be very helpful of course!
iPad Air 2 - WiFI - 128GB - iOS 9.1 - Auria Pro 2.01 - Roland Duo Capture EX

Tarekith
Expert

Post by Tarekith » Thu May 09, 2013 8:42 am

Very helpful! :)

syrupcore
Expert

Post by syrupcore » Fri May 10, 2013 11:42 am

For what it's worth, MIDI clock sync alone would mean we could use genome or bm2 or xyz for clocked midi sequencing while piping the audio from synths into Auria via Audiobus. Obviously, full MIDI integration would be exponentially more awesome but if I had to choose between waiting 2 months for clock or 6 months for piano roll+automation+clock+full-tilt-awesome, I'd definitely prefer clock sooner!

scharamella
Expert

Post by scharamella » Fri May 10, 2013 10:54 pm

syrupcore wrote:For what it's worth, MIDI clock sync alone would mean we could use genome or bm2 or xyz for clocked midi sequencing while piping the audio from synths into Auria via Audiobus!

or Jack ??? :D

I bought BM2 solely for midi clock BUT IT DOESN'T WORK... (at least not very well)...

However, judging by how well EVERYTHING in Auria works, I'm happy to wait for Rim to finish writing the midi code & stay with Auria for all my iPad recording needs.

I'll still rely heavily on Nuendo for my big edit/ mixing jobs however, but for a location VO records or sequence playback, I'm hoping it'll be Auria every time for this little black duck.

ZenLizard
Expert

Post by ZenLizard » Sun May 19, 2013 8:23 am

scharamella wrote: ...I'm hoping it'll be Auria every time for this little black duck.

Now, see that? It just goes to show how amazingly glorious Auria really is when other species besides humans are using it also! If ducks are using it, you can bet your behind that Pacific Octopi use it as well... Not to mention the endangered Zen Lizards of the American Southwest. ;-)
— Can you hum a few bars? —

Mojosynths

Post by Mojosynths » Sun May 19, 2013 2:36 pm

Thanks for your reply Rim, I'd like to add my vote to adding MIDI clock master/slave sync as has been suggested, if only I can sync to an external sequencer, be it one of the old Rolands, or the simple but salacious Doepfer Dark Time with the right Audio/MIDI interface, like a Focusrite Scarlett 8i6, that would solve a lot of problems.

pisco

Post by pisco » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:23 pm

+1 for MIDI clock and Start/Stop in short term, Full blown MIDI is not essential

Regards

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:32 pm

It's here already in 1.10, which should be in Apple review soon.

Rim

pipo79
Expert

Post by pipo79 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:55 am

This might be a silly question - will midi in Auria support virtual midi ? Could I use something like Lemur to control Synths that I already use via virtual midi ?
And one more thing - in Cubasis it is NOT possible to mute single midinotes inside the "grid-editor" - here is your chance to make a step forward - i wrote to cubase and they couldn't tell me if or when this will be possible.

Best Regards

Pipo