RME Babyface or Apogee Duet for IPAD

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

krot

RME Babyface or Apogee Duet for IPAD

Post by krot » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:30 pm

Hi all!

I'm interesting to buying audio interface for Ipad but don't know what to choose: RME Babyface or Apogee Duet.
Both has 2 in/ 4 out, midi and works with IPAD4. Similar price
Babyface couldn't charge the IPad, but can't be extendable with extra inputs.
Also RME usually upgrades Babyface's firmware.

What do you own? What can you recommend for me?

Rampan

Re: RME Babyface or Apogee Duet for IPAD

Post by Rampan » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:02 pm

Hi Krot,
I 'm using the Duet for iPad I like it very much, it works flawlessly, the preamps are excellent as you may have already read from the reviews out there.
I'm only going to tell you that charging the iPad is a big deal, at least for me since I'm not constantly reminding myself to charge at night (I'm sure you know how long it takes to fully charge an iPad) plus I can work as long as I want.
The only thing I don't like is the clumsy connections.
I can't comment about the Babyface, I did consider it too but it was more expensive don't really needed all those connections since I already own an RME Fireface 800, plus I heard from all the reviews that Apogee has a different more musical sound than the RME. To my ears I found that It does sound different in a good way.
So if you will be using only 2 inputs to record, go for the Apogee duet, but if you need more connections then go with the Babyface just keep that iPad charged.

I hope that was helpful
Good Luck!

Guilleonline
Expert

Re: RME Babyface or Apogee Duet for IPAD

Post by Guilleonline » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:54 pm

I agree with that comment. I use a focusrite scarlett and it's very annoying when inspiration comes and oh oh, 15 mins. In you have to unplug everything to charge the damn iPad. I am investing in a duet asap. It's not worth it to have something that could be triple in price with a thousand inputs if at theof theday you can't even lay down a few tracks before it shuts down.

If money is not a problem them opt for a quartet.

The benefit of the rme is that it also works with PC, but maybe you already have something for that. They are both great pieces, with many followers each, but the decission is clear to me (out of experince in frustrated recording) :wink: