ASK THE RECORDING EXPERTS

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

supanorton
Expert

Re: ASK THE RECORDING EXPERTS

Post by supanorton » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:50 am

Anthony Alves wrote:no you just use one ProQ. You may have already selected this but Don't forget to select mid/side mode not L/R .Just double tap to create another dot on the frequency curve line. try to do it away from the last on that you did so as not to get them too close together so you can see it better. Now when you see the next new dot or marker as it were, touch the S to which stands for side the m is for middle. Now select your Lowcut filter and set the frequency to 90hz. you can keep doing this on the same ProQ up to 22 times. These are called instances but you can imagine each one being a slider on an eq. 22 to be exact. and each one you can dial in its frequency and gain of that frequency. Like as if each slider on the eq also contained a volume control as well as the ability to zero in on any frequency you wish each of the single 22 sliders to control. QWow. Let me know how you make out. You gotta watch Dan Worral on Fabfilter as he demonstrates the ProQ. The best tutorial video on that plugin. just go to Fabfilter.com.
cheers and hope this helped.
Got it. Wow, what a difference. Great method for taming the low frequencies. Thanks, Anthony.

louparte
Expert

Re: Recording levels - master vs. individual tracks?

Post by louparte » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:43 pm

I'm confused about setting levels & the relation between master and track levels.

Last night I'm recording two tracks sumultaneously from a synth. The first pass, the track levels are peaking between
-15 & -10. But I had the master level way down to - 20 or more.

I thought the track levels were fine. But I couldn't hear any playback. So re-record it w/the master raised and the track levels the same. Then the track levels are flaming out into red.

I finally found a manageable compromise. But is there a method to this I don't mow about? A rule of thumb?
It seems hit or miss. Thanks.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:18 pm

louparte wrote:I'm confused about setting levels & the relation between master and track levels.

Last night I'm recording two tracks sumultaneously from a synth. The first pass, the track levels are peaking between

I thought the track levels were fine. But I couldn't hear any playback. So re-record it w/the master raised and the track levels the same. Then the track levels are flaming out into red.

I finally found a manageable compromise. But is there a method to this I don't mow about? A rule of thumb?
Hi Louparte, here is what works for me. I leave the master fader a unity -0- and leave the track fader also at unity-0- but I set the record level by the level of the input device like say your synths volume out or your audio interfaces input gain control. I like to record my track really low as digital doesn't need to be too hot as you can lose precious headroom when recording too hot in digital. Then if the track is too low and I want it louder, I simply go into the editor and highlight the entire track and tap process and tap gain and set the gain to +2 db and process. If it needs to be louder I just keep hitting process until I get the level I'm looking for. Alternatively you can decrease a tracks level this way as well as usually most audio/copy from another app is usually too hot so I use this method to get things under control. Also if you have the ProL you can set it to K20 during mix down and even track recording if your iPad can handle it. This helps to keep a good level for you but wont affect the tracks you've recorded just the playback. Inset this ProL in the last slot of the master buss fader. cheers and hope this helps.

louparte
Expert

Post by louparte » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:09 pm

Thanks. If I did it that way, the output from this synth would be crazy low.

It appears my master meter reflects changes in playback volume. My track meters show input levels only.
I still haven't found a satisfactory method. The manual suggests -18.

Different sources have different outputs. My Korg M3 kicks out a lot of output. It's the most difficult to meter here.
I don't know what to trust yet. I run the M3 directly into ioDock - bypassing the mixer. So I can't hear the output on monitors - except via the ioDock's output - which reduces volume.
Anthony Alves wrote:
louparte wrote:I'm confused about setting levels & the relation between master and track levels.

Hi Louparte, here is what works for me. I leave the master fader a unity -0- and leave the track fader also at unity-0- but I set the record level by the level of the input device like say your synths volume out or your audio interfaces input gain control. I like to record my track really low as digital doesn't need to be too hot as you can lose precious headroom when recording too hot in digital. Then if the track is too low and I want it louder, I simply go into the editor and highlight the entire track and tap process and tap gain and set the gain to +2 db and process. If it needs to be louder I just keep hitting process until I get the level I'm looking for. Alternatively you can decrease a tracks level this way as well as usually most audio/copy from another app is usually too hot so I use this method to get things under control. Also if you have the ProL you can set it to K20 during mix down and even track recording if your iPad can handle it. This helps to keep a good level for you but wont affect the tracks you've recorded just the playback. Inset this ProL in the last slot of the master buss fader. cheers and hope this helps.

fusionarts
Expert

Post by fusionarts » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:45 pm

Any one know of a tutorial for Auria that focuses on automation. I understand the concept, but can't seem to get the dots, and line to cooperate :D
Last edited by fusionarts on Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"In cordibus nostris Iesus in aeternum vivat"
“L i v e J e s u s i n o u r h e a r t s, f o r e v e r”
-----------------------------------------------------------
iPad Pro - 128GB - iOS 9.3 - Auria Pro

Washboy
Expert

Does one app record better than another?

Post by Washboy » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:44 am

This is probably a dumbass question but: Leaving aside UI differences and other 'subjective' issues, is there a measurable difference between how/what one app records and another (assuming the same bit-depth and sample rate and audio interface)?

Or, to put it another way, without EQ and other user-controllable processing, would Auria, Cubasis, MT DAW, GB, BM2, AudioShare, Hokusai, etc., all produce the same raw audio data?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:59 am

No, there are many factors that go into processing audio (even when no effects are being used), for example the mixing/summing algorithms used, internal bit depth (fixed, floating point, single vs double precision), dithering, etc.

Rim

Washboy
Expert

Re: Does one app record better than another?

Post by Washboy » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:24 am

Rim wrote:No, there are many factors that go into processing audio (even when no effects are being used), for example the mixing/summing algorithms used, internal bit depth (fixed, floating point, single vs double precision), dithering, etc.

Rim
Many thanks, Rim.

Does that mean that it's always better to record directly into Auria than to use another recording app and then transfer the audio across to Auria (remembering that ACP and Audiobus would force 16bit, if used for transfer)? I'm thinking here of a situation where, say, sound-activated recording is desirable (which Auria doesn't cater for) but best quality audio is also needed. If another app (or even desktop prog) offers 24bit/96kHz and has sound-activation, might it still be better to use Auria (and work around the lack of sound-activation) because the end result would be somehow 'cleaner'? Or am I barking up completely the wrong tree? :oops:

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:36 am

For simple recording not involving any mixing, your results will probably be similar whether you use Auria or another app with the same bit depth and sample rate. But if you start to involve mixing (even mixing two tracks), you may see a difference between apps.

Rim

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:42 am

Rim wrote:For simple recording not involving any mixing, your results will probably be similar whether you use Auria or another app with the same bit depth and sample rate. But if you start to involve mixing (even mixing two tracks), you may see a difference between apps.

Rim
Ah! Excellent news, Rim. Thanks. BTW, any chance of adding sound-activation to Auria (with user definable threshold dB level)? :wink:

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:49 am

It's possible, but I don't know if it would be a very used feature. I think that's used more for recording dialog, not music. Or am I wrong?

Rim

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:05 pm

Rim wrote:It's possible, but I don't know if it would be a very used feature. I think that's used more for recording dialog, not music. Or am I wrong?

Rim
Yes, I think it might be less useful for regular, studio-style, music recording but I get the impression that Auria is not used exclusively by musicians.

Thinking about it though, I wonder whether it might not be useful in the Audiobus context. ATM, one has to start Auria recording before playing an AB 'input' app (e.g. laying down an initial drum track). Then you have to trim and move the recorded region into place. I know that MIDI sync/start might eventually provide a solution, with compatible apps, but sound-activation could be an interim solution and a work-around for non-MIDI apps. Just a thought :)

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:27 pm

Audiobus has a mini transport remote control that you use to start and stop Auria from within the other app, so it's usually not a problem. But I agree, it's good to have features to expand the non-music uses of Auria. I'll have to look into how complex of an undertaking this would be.

Rim

louparte
Expert

Post by louparte » Fri May 17, 2013 9:16 pm

I have 1.09 version.

Is there a way to view the current effects settings without actually opening up the plugs themselves?

For example, on the master fader channel, I have a Pro-C insert.
I like the setting. But I didn't make a note of what exactly the settings were.

Auria does not allow me to open that insert to view the settings.
I must first move to a different plug on that insert and then move
back to Pro-C to open it up. But if I do that, I'm afraid I will lose the settings I've made.

This is something I run into every time I use Auria.
Is there some place in Auria where the FX settings are all visible?

In a hardware studio, you'd just look at the fx device.
Even in DAW's like Cubase or SONAR, you can see the effects settings.
But I don't see how to do that in Auria.

Thanks.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri May 17, 2013 10:57 pm

In Auria, to open a plug-in, you simply press the "e" button. This opens the editor window for the effect. All the settings are there. Am I missing something?

Rim