Blue spark digital

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

jrech
Expert

Blue spark digital

Post by jrech » Thu May 02, 2013 3:44 pm

Has anyone used the blue spark digital mic? How does it work auria? What did you record with it, is it a decent microphone?

Thanks for all of your help,

J-
iPad Pro, Auria Pro - https://jodyrech.bandcamp.com

dominicperry
Expert

Re: Blue spark digital

Post by dominicperry » Sun May 05, 2013 5:04 pm

Had one. Not happy with it. Shrill D/A. Mic gain and output gain have big steps. Build quality not as good as you would expect for the price. Irritating single control for mic gain and headphone gain and mute. No balance control between live and computer/ipad sound.

The mic itself sounds quite good but I found it unusable because of the points above.

I'm waiting for the iPad Apogee One - the original One which I have is far more practical than the Blue Spark Digita lbut of course can't be used without a USB hub.

Every Blue product I've had has disappointed, unfortunately. Hope that helps.

Dominic

jrech
Expert

Post by jrech » Sun May 05, 2013 5:25 pm

Thanks Dominic, it sure does help. I was using a Samson G-Track. I have currently switched over to a M-box, and a nuemann Tlm-49. I am liking that combo better than he Samson. My ultimate goal is to somehow get my presonus M80 preamp into auria. I need to find an interface that is usable with an alesis ai-3 or a different converter that will work as the middle man. I am thinking of the apogee quartet, but I don't know if it is compatible with the ai-3.

Thanks again for your help,

Jody

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Sat May 11, 2013 5:17 pm

Been using the blue spark for a few sessions now for vocals and find the results very pleasing.

I'm not saying the previous poster's issues are not valid but for me I found the build quality to be high and the easy of use to be fine. You do have to press the knob to change the signal level, but its quite a small thing really.

I used the headphone-out of the ipad making it straightforward to adjust relative volumes (set the input levels with the mics knob and the return level in the headphones with the track fader in Auria).

As a bonus I've found I haven't had the need of a pop shield for everyday use.

Perhaps my opinions may change in time, but for now I can definitely recommend it.

(Did I mention the actual recorded audio quality is excellent?)

dominicperry
Expert

Post by dominicperry » Sun May 12, 2013 6:09 am

I agree that the Blue Spark Digital sounds good on vocals, but it was no good for recording a guitar cab or bass cab.

If you are in the UK you can try it for cheap - by buying my one. Send me a PM if you're interested.

Dominic

jrech
Expert

Post by jrech » Sun May 12, 2013 8:05 am

Thanks guys,

I am in the US, or else I would certainly consider buying it from you. My main goal is for recording vocal, acoustic guitar, and a small percussion(eggs, tambourine). If I can find one at a decent price, I don't think I will rule it out.

Thanks for all of the help,

Jody

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Mon May 13, 2013 4:06 am

dominicperry wrote:I agree that the Blue Spark Digital sounds good on vocals, but it was no good for recording a guitar cab or bass cab.

Dominic
yes I can imagine it's strengths lie in recording acoustic instruments and natural sounds which are particularly suited to all condenser mics. Dynamic mics (or ribbon) have always been the preferred choice for recording guitar/bass cabs so it's not surprising the results aren't as good as you'd hoped.

Erik dP
Expert

Post by Erik dP » Mon May 13, 2013 5:47 am

If buying for portability (which I have been considering) I would go for the more compact and similar priced Apogee Mic. I got the impression that Blue usb-mic-products usually use 16 bits, but I havn't found any info on the Spark. Apogee Mic is supposed to privide 24 bits. (Or check out the new Apogee One which seems to have an improved built in mic as well as an instrument input for ~50% more cash.)
Song writer http://www.youtube.com/erikdepomian
"Your Comfort Lie" "White Feather" "Canyons" "Where No Monsters Go" ...and more.

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Mon May 13, 2013 6:38 am

the blue spark has the advantage of being completely powered by the ipad requiring no powered hub or main supply. Not sure what the apogee power requirements are but i think they need to be plugged in.

Erik dP
Expert

Post by Erik dP » Mon May 13, 2013 6:49 am

The Apogee Mic can be plugged in directly without any extras according to what I have read. It comes with a 30-pin Ipad connector.

(The next Apogee One can also charge the Ipad while in usage according to Apogee. Batteries makes it portable, but I don't think it will then power the Ipad.)
"Your Comfort Lie" "White Feather" "Canyons" "Where No Monsters Go" ...and more.

dominicperry
Expert

Post by dominicperry » Mon May 13, 2013 7:56 am

Apogee iMic has no headphone output so you rely on monitoring through Auria, which will introduce some latency. At least the Blue Spark Digital has analogue monitoring (with no latency).

Dominic

Erik dP
Expert

Post by Erik dP » Mon May 13, 2013 8:36 am

...Good point! But I havn't heard of any "notacable" latency problems in the reviews I've seen. The Spark also works with Windows while Mic isn't ment for PC. (I've read that using Asio for all with PC can make Apogee Mic work. But I havn't studied this. Monitoring while rec might not be possible.) I can see a disadvantage of having to attach two cords to the Ipad: Mic and headset. Better to have the headset connected to the "gadget" to minimize all cords having to be attached, and then hanging from the Ipad.

(...I'm interested in the new "One". I have the current "One", using it with a battery pack and a hub and Rode NT2a. Like the idea of a compact 2-channel, battery powered or (?) Ipad powering device with a, hopefully, good enough mic. The downside is the lack of PC usage, extremely high price, not included (according to their www) lightning connector, no MIDI, breakout cable adds to the cable mess.)

dominicperry
Expert

Post by dominicperry » Mon May 13, 2013 9:20 am

Personally I find any kind of latency very distracting. I can tell the difference between a real analogue monitoring signal and a digital mixer (like the 'One'), but I can cope with that. Any monitoring through software is too much delay for me. But my timing isn't very good anyway, so perhaps that's why.

I have a new 'One' on order, even though it isn't available in Europe yet. The original One has a good loud headphone signal (something missing from most interfaces, especially cheap interfaces) and the breakout cable isn't a big deal compared to the problems with latency, adjusting input/output balance and just poor sound quality. The Apogee stuff is good in these regards. And I quite like the inbuilt mic, so for quick ideas etc, it works well. I've recorded guitar cabs with it too (at low volumes) and got a good result, certainly better than the Blue Spark Digital (which of course also doesn't have midi - and neither does the iMic). I'm hoping the new 'One' will be as good as the original.

Dominic