how to disable ipad built-in mic

For bug reports only - non-bug related questions will be moved to appropriate forum.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Endso

how to disable ipad built-in mic

Post by Endso » Tue May 07, 2013 4:31 am

Hi, I'm new here. Nice to meet you all.

I've experienced the following

audiobus -> input JamUp; output Auria

bass connected to ipad through iRig connector

iRig plug activates the ipad built-in mic so that external noise is recorded too (and it's almost impossible to stand this in the headphones!): how do I disable internal mic? I've turned off and restarted ipad and this worked.

JamUp seems doesn't have such a feature too. I've noticed though that Amplitube has this feature in its settings.

To avoid activating ipad internal mic again - i suspect it is the irig connector to trigger this - I used IKMultimedia stealth plug connected via camera connection kit and the problem was over.

Besides I've noticed a strange audiobus behaviour: audiobus automatically choses the track where to record JamUp isntrument at a cool rec level. Changing the recording track - even through the input matrix - I've noticed that rec level gets much poorer, the rec signal is practically useless. This happens randomly, it seems to me. Is this a bug when using the stealth plug?
Thanks a lot!

Rim
Site Admin

Re: how to disable ipad built-in mic

Post by Rim » Tue May 07, 2013 6:37 am

I highly recommend staying away from iRig-type interfaces (any interface that uses the headphone connector on the iPad). They can't provide enough crosstalk isolation, so they often result in feedback and noise when used with a guitar app. I'm not sure why the built-in mic would be enabled - possibly an audiobus bug?

Rim

Endso

Post by Endso » Wed May 08, 2013 1:21 am

Rim, thanks a lot for your advice.
Best

Mal

Post by Mal » Wed May 08, 2013 4:24 am

I noticed the same thing with JamUp and that was without any external input. I think it activates the built in mic and seems to route that through the effects. Very annoying when you get feedback from just handling the iPad or any external noise. I couldn't find an option to turn it off either.

TRy without the iRig and insert the JamUp last. You will instantly get input from the ipad mic.