Side chain compression with pro-c tutorials?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

GreyMediumMild
Expert

Side chain compression with pro-c tutorials?

Post by GreyMediumMild » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:06 pm

Hey guys! So I've been messing around with pro-c and its incredibly awesome. So useful! I've also attempted to do some side chain compression/ducking effects and I seem to get it to do what I want, but I don't really understand how I got there. Just push buttons until shit works. Are there any auria specific tutorials out there? I saw one of the threads had an awesome pro-g compression video, and am looking for something educational along those lines

Also, I can always get it to work on a track by track basis, but I can't seem to get a subgroup of, lets say, 5 different tracks to have the ducking effect. Am I doing something wrong or does it not work on subgroups?

vezinho
Expert

Re: Side chain compression with pro-c tutorials?

Post by vezinho » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:28 am

Would be interested also, as I plan to buy pro-c...

gjcyrus
Expert

Post by gjcyrus » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:39 am

I know one of the top contributing members here (sorry cant remember name offhand) did a great tutorial on doing this with the other Fab Filter plugin (maybe gate one?) about a week to two weeks ago. Maybe do a search for side chain

gdog
Expert

Post by gdog » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:02 am

Hi,

If u search YouTube for Fabfilter, you will find specific info & tutorials that can easily be applied inside Auria, I highly recommend them, Dan Worrall is v.gd at explaining things clearly, u can learn a lot from him. I can give you a super brief general tutorial to get u started -

. Use headphones, easier to hear than speakers (ones that have good bass are best if ur doing sidechain the typical way)
. Add a bass track-1, eg synth bass
. Add a kick to track-2 that overlaps (plays at the same time as) some of the bass track above (so u can hear the effect)
. Add Pro-C to the bass track-1, set its sidechain to Kick track-2
. Expand Pro-Cs expert controls & ensure Mid/Side mode is on, Ext is selected, & increase its Gain, this will emphasise the effect
. Ratio high, Threshold low - these are extreme settings, once u hear what they do adjust as needed
. 50-300ms release - low settings are more impactful, but higher settings sometimes sound better too
. Choose Opto or classic as the compression type - easier to hear the effect

This is how I got the best results, but learning by yourself is the best way. All the best <3
Last edited by gdog on Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GreyMediumMild
Expert

Post by GreyMediumMild » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:43 am

Sweet, thanks gdog! That's pretty helpful. So should these settings work on subgroups as well? I can't manage to get it to work on grouped tracks

gdog
Expert

Post by gdog » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:34 pm

Hi GreyMediumMild,

I've just tested it with a SubGroup (which I haven't used that much), & it does work, but it doesn't sound the same, I don't know why - the volume of the bass sounds lower - if anyone wants to help explain why that's happening that'd be great..

Having said that, if u really want to use a subgroup, it should still work - In the eg above the Kick track-2 will NOT be sent to the subgroup; Pro-C will be put on the subgroup instead of Bass track-1; & Pro-C will still receive its sidechain from kick track-2. Also, I forgot to mention for best results, mid/side mode should be on (edited above).

All the best <3

vezinho
Expert

Post by vezinho » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:05 pm

gdog wrote:Hi,

If u search YouTube for Fabfilter, you will find specific info & tutorials that can easily be applied inside Auria, I highly recommend them, Dan Worrall is v.gd at explaining things clearly, u can learn a lot from him. I can give you a super brief general tutorial to get u started -

. Use headphones, easier to hear than speakers (ones that have good bass are best if ur doing sidechain the typical way)
. Add a bass track-1, eg synth bass
. Add a kick to track-2 that overlaps (plays at the same time as) some of the bass track above (so u can hear the effect)
. Add Pro-C to the bass track-1, set its sidechain to Kick track-2
. Expand Pro-Cs expert controls & ensure Mid/Side mode is on, Ext is selected, & increase its Gain, this will emphasise the effect
. Ratio high, Threshold low - these are extreme settings, once u hear what they do adjust as needed
. 50-300ms release - low settings are more impactful, but higher settings sometimes sound better too
. Choose Opto or classic as the compression type - easier to hear the effect

This is how I got the best results, but learning by yourself is the best way. All the best <3
Thanks a lot gdog ! Very useful!

gdog
Expert

Post by gdog » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:47 am

Your welcome vezinho :) remember to check out the Fabfilter tutorials on YouTube, Dan is much more experienced than me & explains things very well

All the best <3