No sound from Scarlett 18i6

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

PhillyDrum

No sound from Scarlett 18i6

Post by PhillyDrum » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:14 pm

I'm a newbie to Auria and to the Scarlett 18i6, but no newbie to DAWs and multi-track recording. This makes my problem a little embarrassing, but I can't get this combo to actually play sound through my monitors or headphones. It's capturing the sounds fine and will play back through the iPad speaker.

Here's the config: iPad 3rd Gen > Apple CCK > Scarlett 1086 > M Audio AV 40 monitors via L/R monitor out, Sennheiser cans in the headphones out. Volume is up on the Scarlett and the monitors. When I play back in Auria...nothing. Output matrix has INT selected on all of the tracks with Master on 1 & 2. As far as I can tell, it should be working. The Scarlett is running the latest firmware and the iPad DAW Mapping.

6-track input from my Roland TD-10x recorded just fine, vocals through a PreSonus Bluetube worked fine. They just won't play through the Scarlett.

Any ideas?

Rim
Site Admin

Re: No sound from Scarlett 18i6

Post by Rim » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:21 am

Most likely, the problem is your 18i6 needs to be reset using the MixControl software. Any changes you make using this software are remembered, so it's possible that the outputs are turned down in the software.

Rim

PhillyDrum

Post by PhillyDrum » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:31 am

A good suggestion, and I saw it worked for a Presonus 1818 user in another thread. No dice, though. I restored to factory defaults using MixControl, then to the iPad DAW mappings. Still no sound. Manually checked everything after loading in the presets, too, nothing is down all the way.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:02 pm

Have you tried your same setup, but without any headphones plugged into the iPad? Also, maybe try rebooting the iPad in case the iOS coreAudio system crashed.

Rim

PhillyDrum

Post by PhillyDrum » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:19 am

The headphones were plugged into the Scarlett, not the iPad. I tried a couple reboots of the iPad, thinking the same thing, to no avail. I'll mess with it more over the weekend and report back.

To rule out the problem being a defective Scarlett unit, I'll try running the same setup into my laptop, which is running CuBase.

Thanks for the suggestions and by all means, keep them coming if you think of anything. I really appreciate the assistance.

PhillyDrum

Post by PhillyDrum » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:18 pm

Question. If you hookup an audio interface with monitors and play music on your iPad, should it play out of the monitors?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:41 am

That depends on the app you're using. Not all apps send audio out through a USB interface. If you're talking about Auria specifically, yes - you can select which outputs go to which USB outputs in Auria's output matrix.

Rim

PhillyDrum

Post by PhillyDrum » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:58 am

I meant more like just playing music, Rhapsody, etc. Just trying to eliminate potential points of failure. Spent significant time with it last night. Again, I have no problem recording 8 tracks at a time, layering more in (up to 16 total last nigh),' then mixing, editing, etc., but cannot get the damn thing to play back any audio through the Scarlett 18i6. I have to disconnect it and play back via the headphone jack on the iPad.

I'm going to mess more with MixControl and will be contacting Focusrite.

This is a frustrating problem, but I have to say, Auria is just an outstanding piece of software. I've used pretty much every major DAW at one point or another over the past 16 years and this is right up there with Logic as my favorite.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:47 pm

It looks to me like maybe your 18i6 is defective, or for some reason, it's not taking your mixControl settings. I assume you're selecting the "Save To Hardware" option in the mixControl menu?

Rim

Dwayne
Expert

Post by Dwayne » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:18 am

Has anyone tried plugging mics into the 18i6 line inputs without preamps? Is it usable or is it really no good for more than 2 mics?

Katherine_Focusrite
Expert

Post by Katherine_Focusrite » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:10 pm

PhillyDrum wrote:I have to disconnect it and play back via the headphone jack on the iPad... This is a frustrating problem, but I have to say, Auria is just an outstanding piece of software. I've used pretty much every major DAW at one point or another over the past 16 years and this is right up there with Logic as my favorite.
Hi Philly Drum,
I would like to make sure you got this issue resolved. Please let me know if you need any assistance.
Dwayne wrote:Has anyone tried plugging mics into the 18i6 line inputs without preamps? Is it usable or is it really no good for more than 2 mics?
Hello Dwayne,
A Line Input on any interface is designed to expect a much louder level than a microphone puts out. The purpose of a Microphone Pre Amp is to bring the Microphone up to this level. Using just a Line Input you would need an external Mic Pre to make your Mic audible. There are many types of these on the market.

Additionally the 18i6 features an ADAT input so you can connect a unit with as many as 8 more Mic Pres. It also has a SDPIF Input that can accept 2 inputs from any unit with SPDIF Output, which could also be a 2 Mic Pre unit.

With all of these digital inputs you can get a total of 18 Mic Pres connected to the 18i6, however it does only come with 2 built in, so this would require purchase of other gear.

Please feel free to let me know if there is anything else I can do to assist you.

Best regards.
Katherine Kaplan // Focusrite Technical Support

http://www.focusrite.com/answerbase/en/