Global tiny fader?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Erik dP
Expert

Global tiny fader?

Post by Erik dP » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:22 am

(...What does he mean with that?)

-Well. I mean a way to make all regions (imported or while recordig) get a small automatic in- and out-fade through a few samples to get rid of spikes at the beginning and end of each region. I find myself fading more or less all regions to get rid of the pops.

Maybe there is a way there already. I guess that "select all" and then use the fader manually would do the trick, but that only works before making editorial fades.

Maybe I should have posted this in the "wish"-list. But there might be a solution in there already. Maybe automatic at mixdown or similar ...to also handle splits.
Song writer http://www.youtube.com/erikdepomian
"Your Comfort Lie" "White Feather" "Canyons" "Where No Monsters Go" ...and more.

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Global tiny fader?

Post by Rim » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:53 am

Auria has this feature already, and it's called "Auto Fade". It's in the settings page.

Rim

Erik dP
Expert

Post by Erik dP » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:01 am

Ok. I'll check it out then.

...You mean the Auto Crossfade? I mean just auto fade. Is it the same parameter?
"Your Comfort Lie" "White Feather" "Canyons" "Where No Monsters Go" ...and more.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:12 pm

Yes, I meant Auto crossfade. If a region is on top of another region (or right next to it), it will automatically apply a small crossfade to avoid clicks.

Rim

Erik dP
Expert

Post by Erik dP » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:44 pm

Ok. But I get clicks when splitting, and pasting imported audiopastes. I.e. no cross-fades. It can be a cut out vocal phrase where a breath is cut out before and after. Having automatic fade for these a couple of samples would be nice to have.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:23 pm

Auto-crossfade should work when you do a split. The only situations where auto-crossfade won't help is where you have a region with silence to the left and to the right of the region. I'll see if I can expand the way it works to include these situations as well.

Rim

ajmack302
Expert

Post by ajmack302 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:16 am

Hi there,

Another point in a similar situation is that at the end of a song where I have a guitar track with a chord ringing out to silence, at the end of that region there is an occasional pop/click when the region ends. Upon using a fade to kill said pop, fade lines then trail out behind the region. Now when mixing down the project these fade lines can add approx 20secs of time to the song, that's 20secs of silence, no reverb trails or delays. Is there a way to maintain the fade but trim the fade lines I guess is my question?

Many thanks

Aaron

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:47 am

Aaron,

I'm not sure I fully understand what you mean by fade lines trailing out behind the region. Can you give an example (maybe a picture)?

Thanks,
Rim

ajmack302
Expert

Post by ajmack302 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:00 am

Hi Rim, fade lines are the best way I can think to describe them! :oops:
Hopefully you can make out the white lines trailing from the end of the region.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (115.22 KiB) Viewed 7527 times

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:15 am

OK, I understand. For some reason, I thought you meant they were extending beyond the region. I think what you want to use is the trim handles instead of the fade handles. They are adjusted by using the two bottom arrows. When you use the trim handles, you are shortening the region, so you just need to shorten them to the point where you no longer hear the click.

Rim

ajmack302
Expert

Post by ajmack302 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:58 am

Sorry if I'm being a bit dim, but to my eye the fade line extends beyond the region by around 5secs. In terms of using trim handles instead of using a fade, occasionally it seems as though the end of the region is causing a click/pop wherever I trim it to and using the fade solves this.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:07 am

Hmmm. In the picture you sent, the fade line is completely inside both regions. Am I missing something? If you're hearing a click after the region ends, even when using the trim handles, it's possible you have some DC offset on that region, or the end of the region still has audio on it (is not silent). In either case, I will extend the auto crossfade feature to include regular fades, so you won't have this problem.

Rim

ajmack302
Expert

Post by ajmack302 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:28 am

I may be hallucinating, but maybe this picture will show the extended lines a bit more clearly! I've moved the two tracks apart and placed the play head where the lines stop. If you still can't see them I'll shut up and get my eyes tested!! :D
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (132.72 KiB) Viewed 7507 times

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:15 am

the horizontal white lines look like lane markers, but I guess they're not.

They are hard to see.

ajmack302
Expert

Post by ajmack302 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:28 am

But you do see them?!! And they're only on tracks with fades on. Can opened, worms everywhere!! :lol: