The "Auria Wishlist Thread"

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

CEIsar
Expert

Re: The "Auria Wishlist Thread"

Post by CEIsar » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:26 am

i mentioned this some time ago but i'm afraid that this thread is so full of content that certain wishes just get lost.

A mute function for selected regions would be a very (VERY) welcome addition :)
iPad Air 2 - WiFI - 128GB - iOS 9.1 - Auria Pro 2.01 - Roland Duo Capture EX

sch
Expert

Post by sch » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:49 am

CEIsar wrote:A mute function for selected regions would be a very (VERY) welcome addition :)
Yes, yes, yes! This is such a key function for arranging, Auria should already have this!

bobbo924

Post by bobbo924 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:29 pm

High on my wishlist, and worthy in such a comprehensive program, would be editing modes that would allow us shuffle or "ripple" an edit.

sch
Expert

Post by sch » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:01 pm

Here's a few of things that have struck me in ongoing working with Auria:
  • 1. It would be really nice if freezing a track didn't grey it out, but left some track colour. Maybe just a coloured perimeter on the region borders, colour the waveform differently or denote freeze status by the background colour of the left-hand track name area? After all, what's the point in track colouring if in a common mode it's not available? It would also be great to extend the track colour to the background of the channel strip labels.

2. We REALLY need to be able to join regions within a track. Often, I'll want to make a small change in a part, or parts of a region and end up with split regions that then should be re-joined back together. The ability to join small regions just makes editing and arranging more reasonable... if you can split it, you should be able to join it!

3. Along with #2, a way to lasso multiple regions is desperately needed. Yes, I know about the Multi-Select Tool, but jeez, wouldn't a tap-drag (or similar combo) be SO much faster? I can't tell you how often I want to select an entire track worth of regions. If you have a high number of small, disparate regions, selecting them one-at-a-time often requires huge amounts of zooming and scrolling, and woe betide the poor fool that accidentally taps outside a region in the process. [ Do not pass Go, Do not collect $200 ] :evil:

4. While you're at solving #3, add a way to easily split multiple vertical regions at the playhead and then allow selection of all regions (in all tracks) to the right (or left) of the split. Or this could be done using the area between the markers you set. This way, it would be easy to define and work with blocks of regions over all the tracks for inserting and moving sections around for arranging.

5. An easy method to mute regions (from the Edit window). This is such a key function for arranging.

(BTW, NanoStudio has one of the best laid out, quick and easy to use editing screen I've ever seen. It can be done!)

6. How about a way to insert empty regions (no audio data) that can be labeled? For example, "Intro", "Verse", "Chorus",... to lay out cues or song/project structure. That, coupled with #4 above, would allow you to move labeled song blocks for easy arranging.
What's remarkable is that we're able to do what we can using Auria on an iPad! Let alone that we can actually converse with the developer and have input to this amazing product. Coming from a FOH/studio engineering background, I am truly astonished at what is now not just available, but remarkably affordable!

Rim & Company, thanks so much for the splendid work you guys are doing.

donratto
Expert

Post by donratto » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:05 am

Hi. I don't know if this is possible, or even desirable to others, but regarding markers: to implement the ability to insert markers during playback and / or record?

On my old hardware DAW, I found this very useful for marking a point that I wanted to return to without halting the recording or playback. It also had the facility, on mix down, to use the mark points as track separators for longer projects or when archiving old CD's / cassettes etc, negating the need to record each track separately (I realise that's a bit of a separate issue).

Also i know space for buttons is a problem but maybe the rewind and fast forward buttons could somehow toggle between their current functions and skip forward and back? Then perhaps pressing both simultaneously could be used to set or delete current marker?

Just a thought.
Many thanks.

fusionarts
Expert

Changing order of Insert Effects

Post by fusionarts » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:25 pm

on the fly. any chance?
"In cordibus nostris Iesus in aeternum vivat"
“L i v e J e s u s i n o u r h e a r t s, f o r e v e r”
-----------------------------------------------------------
iPad Pro - 128GB - iOS 9.3 - Auria Pro

Kim Olesen

AAF export mac osx utillity.

Post by Kim Olesen » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:08 pm

Whem tracking live concerts i often find myself using so much of my ipads memory that i can't export to AAF. It would be fantastic to have a MAC OSX program that could export to AAF on the mac instead of it having to be done on the ipad. That way you can open iTuns. Back up the Auria project file to the mac and run the export program instead of having to pay dropbox a lot of money for somethin as basic as 20+ gb of space.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:22 pm

4. While you're at solving #3, add a way to easily split multiple vertical regions at the playhead and then allow selection of all regions (in all tracks) to the right (or left) of the split. Or this could be done using the area between the markers you set. This way, it would be easy to define and work with blocks of regions over all the tracks for inserting and moving sections around for arranging.

This feature already exists. Simply choose the multi-select tool and place the playhead at what bar or beat you want the split at and simply select split in the edit window and all the tracks that were selected will now be split at the same time at the same point in the song. I use this block method all the time to arrange verses and chorus' and intro' ect.
cheers and hope this helps at least one of your requests.

sch
Expert

Post by sch » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:01 pm

Anthony Alves wrote:4. While you're at solving #3, add a way to easily split multiple vertical regions at the playhead and then allow selection of all regions (in all tracks) to the right (or left) of the split. Or this could be done using the area between the markers you set. This way, it would be easy to define and work with blocks of regions over all the tracks for inserting and moving sections around for arranging.

This feature already exists. Simply choose the multi-select tool and place the playhead at what bar or beat you want the split at and simply select split in the edit window and all the tracks that were selected will now be split at the same time at the same point in the song. I use this block method all the time to arrange verses and chorus' and intro' ect.
Anthony,

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, unless I'm missing something here, you still need to individually, manually select the regions vertically to then do what you suggest. It's the manner of selection I would like to see improved.

As I suggest, defining a length with the left/right markers and then using a specialized Split Between Markers command would be much faster, more accurate, and easier.

Ciao,

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:13 pm

sch wrote:
Anthony Alves wrote:4. While you're at solving #3, add a way to easily split multiple vertical regions at the playhead and then allow selection of all regions (in all tracks) to the right (or left) of the split. Or this could be done using the area between the markers you set. This way, it would be easy to define and work with blocks of regions over all the tracks for inserting and moving sections around for arranging.

Anthony,

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, unless I'm missing something here, you still need to individually, manually select the regions vertically to then do what you suggest. It's the manner of selection I would like to see improved.

As I suggest, defining a length with the left/right markers and then using a specialized Split Between Markers command would be much faster, more accurate, and easier.

Ciao,
But wouldn't you still have to define which tracks (vertically) you wish to split?

What would be a helpful addition is for the right-hand remainders of the split regions to remain selected (rather than the left-hand parts, as is the current case). That way, it would not require reselecting the regions in order either to move them out of the way, delete them or split them again (after repositioning the cursor).

sch
Expert

Post by sch » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:08 pm

But wouldn't you still have to define which tracks (vertically) you wish to split?
Exactly, that's why I was advocating (in my original post) a better way to select multiple regions. The most intuitive method is to use a one-finger tap-drag lasso motion. This allows selecting while easily scrolling. This is a fundamental iOS gesture. Use a two-finger tap-drag for moving the timeline window back and forth.
What would be a helpful addition is for the right-hand remainders of the split regions to remain selected (rather than the left-hand parts, as is the current case). That way, it would not require reselecting the regions in order either to move them out of the way, delete them or split them again (after repositioning the cursor).
Yes, in addition to a usable lasso multi-select method, it makes sense to have menu/submenu/popup commands such as Split, Split Selection, Select All to Left, Select All to Right, Select All.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:42 pm

I'll see what I can do about a Split All function. I agree this would be very useful. I just added a Join function to 1.08 BTW.

As far as selecting using a single tap, it's not possible in the Auria editor, because single tap is reserved for panning (scrolling). Double-tap is also used for highlighting, so both of those are out.

Rim

Rampan

Comping multiple takes

Post by Rampan » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:44 pm

Hi,
I'm just getting started with auria, and I think Comping should be on top of the list of features to add.
The main reason to use auria on the ipad is to be portable, and with high quality interfaces now available one can record anywhere and multiple takes and comping would be just what this program needs, specially as far as I know no one else has it yet for the iPad. (Logic pro is great for that)

On another note how about an iphone minimal version of auria just enough to record, multiple takes :D if you please,
since for now Multitrak DAW is the only one able to record at 24bit 96k on the iphone.

Thanks

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:19 pm

Comping is high on the list for sure but requires an enormous amount of work. Auria will eventually get it though.

Rim

Rampan

Post by Rampan » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:04 pm

I'm so glad to know that comping is coming to auria, in my opinion this feature alone would be a big selling point.
I will be anxiously and patiently awaiting for it. Thanks
Keep up the great work!